HOw do I search when I am there?

  • cheryl1249@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
      Since I will be in the capitals of Hungary, Croatia, Belgrade, Serbia,
      Bulgaria, Czech & Romania. I am looking for the surnames of Galata & Margita
      or Morgita. Have any of you all come across any of these surnames?
      Cheryl
      **************Dell Summer Savings: Cool Deals on Popular Laptops – Shop
      Now!
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222696924x1201468348/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D1)

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009

        Cheryl, we're going to need more info -- how about first names and approximate birth years -- or approximate year of arrival into the USA.

        I searched Ellis Island and found over 100 hits for Galata and Margita -- there was one hit for Morgita from what looked like an Italian location.

        Anyhow, if you have first names or more about their birth or arrival we might have more luck.

        Caye

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
          Steve Margita 1894-1940 born ?? US or Hungary born?
          Helen Galata 1894-12/11/1942 US or Czech born?

          Mother of Steve
          Mary Margita 1874-1938
          8/22/38 Margita
          John 1870-1929

          Not sure what the last 2 lines mean but this is what I was handed. No one
          seems to know anything else.....
          My aunts would never give me info. Now 1 is dead other is who knows where
          in her parnoia I guess. My fathers other sister died young 24 I think and
          his brother Steve 8/261916 -10/14/88
          I have no dates as to the aunts birth or death dates ...names are Margaret
          & Irene no middle names do I know and do not know younger sisters name.

          I may not have enough info to even mess with.

          Cheryl Schmidt
          living in Augusta, GA
          All kids from previous marriage grown & gone same with husband Cliff
          married 19 yrs
          retired LPN 24 yrs, retired Yorkie breeder 36 yrs over yrs I worked on a
          tobacco farm, babysat as an adult, waitressed, taught crochet, taught cake
          decorating, made & sold various crafts
          Girl scout leader for over 30 yrs, Cub Scout den Mother & Webeloes leader
          and Assistant Boy Scout Leader for many yrs....

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009

              OK, let me try some other searches -- another question -- where did these relatives live in the USA?  Where are they buried?  What religion did they practice -- if you know.

              Caye

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                Found on footnote.com,
                STEVE . B. march 11 1893 KIRAJ KELMEZ AUSTRIA HUNG ARY CZECHECO SLOVAK
                and says he arrived in USA 1905. Petition for Naturalization. wife Hellen b.
                Feb 22 1897 Duquesne, Pa. USA
                Children Hellen B. march 11 1917, Steve b. Aug 26 1919 and Margaret
                b.Sept 15 1922.
                all born in P.O. BOX 384 , DUQUESNE PA.

              • Marilyn Hertenstein
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                  There is information on this family on Ancestry.com.

                  If your Morgitas lived in Miffin, Allegheny County, PA, the in 1930 the were listed as:
                  Steve Margita
                  Wife, Helen
                  Children Helen, Steve Jr., Margaret and John E.
                  Steve and Helen Margita were both 36 in 1930, making them born about 1894. They were married when they were 21 or in 1915. Steve was born in Czechoslovakia and Helen was born in Pennsylvania, but her parents were born in Czechoslovakia. Steve was naturalized.
                  Steve stated he immigrated in 1920 (but the year of his marriage was 1915, so there needs to be more investigation. Maybe he came over earlier as a juvenile. It is interesting to note that a Mary Morgita (born in Hungary) lived next door. Mary was a widow with children Helen, Joseph, Frank and William living with her. She said she immigrated in 1899 and was listed as an AL, or alien.

                  For both census entries of these two Morgita families, they both spoke Magyar.

                  In the 1920 census, Steve Morgita said he immigrated in 1905, was an AL (alien) and even though Helen was listed as being born in Pennsylvania, she too had an AL by her name. Curious.

                  On a World War I Draft card for Steve Morgita, it states he was born Nov. 4, 1894, in Austria Hungary, was naturalized and worked for Carnegie Steel.

                  You are going to have to send for his naturalization papers to find exact village and port of entry.
                  Hope this helps,
                  Marilyn

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                    Also on natururalization paper states wittness John Galata and John Bibza ?
                    It looks like sworn 1924
                    good luck!
                    Jennifer

                  • cheryl1249@aol.com

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                        OK, let me try some other searches -- another question -- where did these
                        relatives live in the USA? Where are they buried? What religion did they
                        practice -- if you know.

                        They lived in Duquesne,
                        Alleganey county PA

                        They are both buried in Duquesne

                        They were catholic.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                            Hi,
                            I don't know what highlight area you have in question?
                            If you are asking about Footnote.com ? This is a pay for membership web
                            site. not too bad a price to join.
                            also has some free things too.

                          • Janet Kozlay
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                              Whoopedo! According to this, his petition for naturalization says he was
                              born in Kiralyhelmec (spelling a bit mangled in the transcription). This is
                              the Hungarian name of the town of Kralovsky Chlmec, just north of the
                              Hungarian border in eastern Slovakia.

                              This is precisely the information you need to research the family.
                              Microfilms of Roman Catholic (and Reformed) church records for this town are
                              available for you to order and read at your nearest LDS Family History
                              Center.

                              Footnote.com does seem to have access to a lot of good stuff not available
                              on Ancestry.com.

                              The bad news is that this area will not be near any of the capitals you will
                              be visiting.

                              Janet

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                                You are going to have to send for his naturalization papers to find exact
                                village and port of entry.
                                Hope this helps,
                                Marilyn

                                How do I do this?
                                Cheryl
                                PS why would one place say born in Czech and other Hungary?

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                                  KIRAJ KELMEZ AUSTRIA HUNG ARY CZECHECO SLOVAK

                                  This is what I highlighted.

                                  I understand Austria is a birthplace what are the other words? Does anyone
                                  know?

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 3, 2009
                                    Cheryl,

                                    For some reason my response that I sent on the 2nd was never published, so
                                    here is a second attempt:

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 3, 2009
                                      The bad news is that this area will not be near any of the capitals you
                                      will
                                      be visiting.

                                      Thank you anyway for this info. I appreciate it so much.
                                      Cheryl
                                      steps!
                                      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585087x1201462804/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
                                      JulystepsfooterNO62)