Feminine Surnames question

  • maryann azar
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2 5:58 PM
      To Frank (and all the other helpful translators here):

      I have a question generated from your informative answer to John Kozakiewicz's query about translation of his GF death certificate:

      You wrote: .......GM's maiden name was Sabol rather than Sabolová.

      >As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská,
      >or -ová.
      >The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate form
      >of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.
      >If surname is a noun in form or origin the suffix -ová is added to
      >it,
      >So Mrs. or Miss Sabolová, family name Sabol.

      Our family has been researching my grandparents names Adam Gabris and Eva Strba who came from Cacda, Czechchoslovakia in 1899 (now Republic of Slovokia).

      We know virtually nothing of the language. After reading you comment about Slovak grammar, feminine surnames, could we be searching with an incorrect spelling? Should the name be searched as Strbal or Strbol, or other form?

      The names are indicated as Adam Gabris + Josephi and Eva Strba + Michaeli on the 1879 marriage record from the Mormon church files. Her birthplace is very difficult to read--appears to be Likonpeze.

      We have been working on this research for years. Do you happen to know if there is another appropriate form for the name Strba? If so, maybe that would lead us to a masculine connection that we have missed--at least we have her father's given name, Michaeli.

      Can anyone tell me what the town Likonpeze (SP?) might be called now?

      Also, anyone out there with a Gabris or Strba connection? Thank you so much for any help.

      (Maura, I don't mind the "unscribe" notices, because I enjoy this site so much. We learn a lot from it and are always hoping to see Gabris, Strba, Panric or Cadca!)

    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3 3:52 AM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "maryann azar" <m.azar@m...> wrote:
        > To Frank (and all the other helpful translators here):
        >
        > I have a question generated from your informative answer to John
        Kozakiewicz's query about translation of his GF death certificate:

        > You wrote: .......GM's maiden name was Sabol rather than
        Sabolová.

        > >As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská,
        > >or -ová.
        > >The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate
        form
        > >of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.
        > >If surname is a noun in form or origin the suffix -ová is added
        > >it,
        > >So Mrs. or Miss Sabolová, family name Sabol.
        >
        > Our family has been researching my grandparents names Adam Gabris
        and Eva Strba who came from Cacda, Czechchoslovakia in 1899 (now
        Republic of Slovokia).

        > We know virtually nothing of the language. After reading you
        comment about Slovak grammar, feminine surnames, could we be
        searching
        with an incorrect spelling? Should the name be searched as Strbal
        or
        Strbol, or other form?

        > The names are indicated as Adam Gabris + Josephi and Eva Strba +
        Michaeli on the 1879 marriage record from the Mormon church files.
        Her birthplace is very difficult to read--appears to be Likonpeze.

        > We have been working on this research for years. Do you happen to
        know if there is another appropriate form for the name Strba? If so,
        maybe that would lead us to a masculine connection that we have
        missed--at least we have her father's given name, Michaeli.

        > Can anyone tell me what the town Likonpeze (SP?) might be called
        now?

        > Also, anyone out there with a Gabris or Strba connection? Thank
        you
        so much for any help.

        One of most common Slavic surname affixes is the one denoting gender
        of the bearer -ová (Slovak), -owa (Polish), and -oba (Russian).

        As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská,
        or -ová.
        The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate form
        of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.

        If the surname is adjectival in origin , i.e., ends in -y', the ending
        changes to -á, so that wife of pán (Mr.) C^erny' would be pani
        (pi)
        (Mrs.) C^erná and their daughter would be slec^na (sl) (Miss)
        C^erná

        If surname is a noun in form or origin the suffix -ová is added to
        it,
        e.g., pán Kovác^, pani Kovác^ová, slec^na
        Kovác^ová, family name
        Kovác^.

        Strba was probably spelled with Slovak diacritic letter S^ pron.
        Sh.
        Not Strbal or Strbol.
        Strba.

        Gabris was probably also spelled with Slovak diacritic letter
        s^ pron. sh.
        Then the feminine version of surname would be Gabris^ová.

        28 surname Strba are listed in the Social Security Death Index.

        http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Strba&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f20=
        &advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit423
        =Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

        Don't know what the problem with C^adca (Sv) Csaca (H) is ?
        The Slovakia telephone directory lists 17 surname S^trba under
        C^adca.

        The directory also lists 11 surname Gabris^ and 6 surname
        Gabris^ová under C^adca.

        Incidently, the Archives at Bytc^a, where the Mormons are
        now filming records is located 18 miles SSW of C^adca.

        Given name Michael (E) Michael (G) Michael (L) Michal (Sv)
        Mihály (H)
        Church records often used the Latin version of first names.

        The Mormons filmed the R.C. matriky (1742-1909) for C^adca,
        Slovakia, formerly Csacza, Trencsén Megye (county), Hungary.
        Text in Latin and Hungarian.
        film # 1978902-1978905

        Likonpeze ?
        Third letter would not be a 'k'.