Newbie Intro--Surnames: Velebir, Sabanosh, Ihnat, Faber

  • mary_lou_crouch
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
      Greetings,

      I wish to share the research I have been doing and I hope, as a new member of this list, I will also be able to learn from each of you about Slovak genealogy.

      I am going to start with my questions/problems and a list of the family names—after that I give a narrative of some of the information I already have. If you don't want to read a long summary, you will be able to see my problems and progress in the first few paragraphs.
      I have been doing a little research off and on for several years but in March 2009 I began devoting my full time to serious research. I have made significant progress and found many problems and discrepancies.

      My connection to Slovakia is through my father Andrew Velebir (1921-2009). His parents were Andrew Velebir (1888-1980) and Mary (Maria) Sabanosh (1895-1973).

      Family names: Velebir, Sabanosh or Sabanos, Ihnat, Faber, Sabo, Gollmutz, Welyebir, Csebra, Szokacz, Szabo, Nowak, Kurutz, Szocha, Goto. The first few names are closer to me in the pedigree with the later ones going further back in time.

      Problems I am working right now:
      Did my grandfather remain in the U.S. even though his parents returned home?
      What evidence can I find showing the travel of my great grandparents into and out of the U.S.? (Have searched multiple types of passenger/immigration records.)
      How and when did my grandmother arrive in the U.S.?
      Who are the unidentified people in the photographs I now have?
      Where are all my ancestors buried? (using findagrave.com)

      Narrative:
      My grandfather was born in Streator, Illinois in 1888. His parents, Jan Velebir (1857-1916) and Anna Ihnat (1864-1930), came to the U.S. from what is now Slovakia. They were in Illinois for the birth of their first 2 sons, John (1887) and Andrew; they apparently moved to Montana where their first daughter, Anna (1891), was born. Then Jan and Anna returned to the old world (between 1891 and 1893)—they had several more children and remained there the rest of their lives. The other children were: Karol (1893), Jozef (1896), Maria (1899), Susanna (1902), Suzanna (1905), Jozef (1908), and Andrew (1916). I wonder if the first 3 children remained in the U.S. with other relatives (some in Montana, others in Bergen, N.J.) or if they went "home" and then returned to the U.S. later. As much as possible, I have established locations using census and birth/death records.
      My grandmother, Mary Sabanosh, supposedly immigrated to the U.S. through Ellis Island in 1913. As the family story goes, Andrew came from either Montana or Illinois in late 1913 to visit with family in N.J. in preparation for a trip to the old world in search of a wife. Relatives told him to wait—the daughter of a neighbor from back home was coming to the U.S. He waited and shortly after she arrived—they married (14 Jan 1914). They moved to Montana where he worked in the coal mines and did some personal gold mining on the side. My father and his two older siblings, Rudolph and Mary were all born in Sand Coulee, Montana.

      My great uncle, Jozef Sabanosh, was also living in Montana but died of typhoid around 1915. I have a picture (taken by a Montana photography studio) of him in his casket with my grandparents and other relatives (not yet identified) at his side. My great uncle John was living in Sand Coulee with his family as well. His wife, Anna Socha (1893-1929) was buried in the Sand Coulee Cemetery. I have a picture of her tombstone. They had several children: Ann, John, Mary, Andrew (died as an infant), and Helen Margaret.

      My grandparents moved to Hazelton, PA around 1922; my grandmother did not like the cold winters in Montana. I'm not sure Hazelton was much warmer. My grandfather was a coal miner all his life and was diagnosed with black lung. The family lived in Hazelton until around 1947-1950. Then they moved to Fairfax, Va. where my grandparents lived until their deaths. I am going to do a land records check to determine the exact date of their move. I know they were frugal people who started out with nothing but were eventually able to buy their own home when they moved to Fairfax.

      I have relatives still living in Slovakia though I have not tried contacting them; I did find many listings in the Slovak white pages. In the late 1970s, my father and uncle traveled to Hanusovce/Hanusfau and were able to visit with many of the relatives. I have been able to confirm some of the information they gathered on the trip. One of our relatives, Jozef Velebir (1908-1944) was a partisan fighter during WWII; he was captured by Germans and died when the Allies bombed the building where he was imprisoned. I have pictures of other earlier relatives wearing Austro-Hungarian uniforms; my son who is a military historian is researching the uniforms.

      I have made contact with a few of my distant cousins in California (from the Montana branch of the family) and with the New Jersey cousins. And I am sorting out all the possible variations of the family names. I even joined Facebook to look for more relatives and was successful!

      So far most of my research has been internet based through ancestry.com, rootsweb.com, some Slovak sites, etc. I also have recovered family documents and photographs which I am restoring, scanning, and analyzing. I am using the FHL online and preparing to use the local Family History Center soon. I live about 2 hours from Washington DC so will be making plans to visit the National Archives in the future. Luckily, I am also close to Pennsylvania and New Jersey for later research in those areas. I have already started reading the past messages in this group and checking out the files, links, and other resources.

      Although I made a lot of sloppy errors as I first developed the family tree by clicking and adding every "hint" available in ancestry.com, I have since started again by documenting every person in the tree with real evidence. I have at least established a good basis for future research by knowing I have the right people in the right places for the first 4 generations. I am looking forward to sharing my research with all of you and to discovering what research you are doing. Hopefully, we can learn from each other.

      Mary Lou Velebir Crouch
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
        Mary Lou,
        You have some good information. Ellis Island did not open until Jan. 1, 1892. Before that was Castle Gardens.
        The only government records kept were for people coming into the USA. Not leaving it. Unless you know the date and ship for the return trip it is going be like looking for the preverbal needle in a haystack.
        Ellis Island had no listing under Sabanosh and 13 under Sabanos. There was only one Maria who arrived in 1923. Velebir had 8 listing, 7 of which came from the same village, present day Hanusovce nad Topl'ou in Eastern Slovakia.
        Since you have given so much information it would be much easier if you present what you want to find in small bites. Is it possible to prioritize what we can help you with and then begin at the top of the list and send an e-mail on that.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
          Hi Mary Lou,

          My cousin is an Ihnat.  I do not know if she's related, but, you never know.   Her father was George Andrew Ihnat, son of Joseph Ihnat (b 1895) and Elizabeth Olsakovsky (b. 1901).  His grandfather was Michael Ihnat (b. 1850) and Anna Mihoch (b. 1859).  They are from Slovakia.

          Please feel free to contact me.

          Elaine Summerhill
          jato791@...

> [...]
          > about 2 hours from Washington DC so will be making plans to visit the National
          > Archives in the future.  Luckily, I am also close to Pennsylvania and New Jersey
          > for later research in those areas.  I have already started reading the past
          > messages in this group and checking out the files, links, and other resources.
          >
          > Although I made a lot of sloppy errors as I first developed the family tree by
          > clicking and adding every "hint" available in ancestry.com, I have since started
          > again by documenting every person in the tree with real evidence.  I have at
          > least established a good basis for future research by knowing I have the right
          > people in the right places for the first 4 generations.  I am looking forward to
          > sharing my research with all of you and to discovering what research you are
          > doing.  Hopefully, we can learn from each other.

        • MaryLou
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2009
            Sorry if I gave too much info but I was under the impression that I should
            give an overview of my research as part of the introduction.

            The main problem for right now is finding evidence of when my grandmother
            entered the U.S. According to family stories, she entered through Ellis
            Island in 1913 but I have searched the Ellis Island database with no luck.
            Have also searched other passenger lists without finding her.
            Here is the information I have:
            Mary or Maria Sabanosh
            Born: 18 SEP 1895 In Hanusovce Nat Taplu, Czeck
            Died : 13 MAY 1973 In Fairfax City, Fairfax,VA
            Her parents: John Sabanosh (1821-1926 in Czechslovakia) and Elizabeth Faber
            (1856-1937 no location)
            I have an original certificate from Jan 1914 showing marriage to Andrew
            Velebir in Bergen, N.J.
            Census records from Sand Coulee, Montana list Mary and Andrew with children,
            Rudolph and Mary in 1920. Her birthplace is shown as Slovakia with her
            parents' birthplaces as Hungary. Year of immigration is shown as 1913.
            1930 census records from Hazelton, PA shows Mary's birthplace as
            Czechslovakia and the same for both parents.

            Mary Lou

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2009
              I don't see any direct connection. I do have a Michael Ihnat (1817-1866).
              Can't find Joseph Ihnat but have a Georgy Ihnat b.1819. But these are all
              too early. I tried looking at my Anna Ihnat's siblings but didn't find any
              matching names.
> [...]

              past
              > messages in this group and checking out the files, links, and other
              resources.

              > Although I made a lot of sloppy errors as I first developed the family
              tree by
              > clicking and adding every "hint" available in ancestry.com, I have since
              started
              > again by documenting every person in the tree with real evidence. I have
              at
              > least established a good basis for future research by knowing I have the
              right
              > people in the right places for the first 4 generations. I am looking
              forward to
              > sharing my research with all of you and to discovering what research you
              are
              > doing. Hopefully, we can learn from each other.

              ---------------------
              Text inserted by Panda IS 2009:

              http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_48463&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20
              ettings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda
              20Internet%20Security%202009\AntiSpam
            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 2009
                MaryLou,
                Your overview was fine. The more information we have to work with the better.
                As I wrote previously, The only Maria Sabanos in the Ellis Island records was a Maria that arrived in 1923. And there were no listing for Sabanosh.
                The next step is to go directly to the Ellis Island search engine and see what alternative spelling are given and check those out.
                You pointed out that in the American records Mary is listed as being from Slovakia and her parents from Hungary. In 1920 Czechoslovakia was in existence for two years. Prior to that for 900 years the territory that is now Slovakia was part of Hungary and referred to as Upper Hungary. Mary probably used Slovak because the creating of Czechoslovakia in 1918. While her parents would have been correctly listed as being from Hungary.