Mihal, Mehal, Mehall

  • Melissa Mehall
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
      I am searching for information regarding my GGF, John Mihal (also Mehal/Mehall). 1900 Census in Jefferson County, Snyder Township, PA that he ws born in 03/1855 in Austria as were both of his parents. His wife Mary (Matko, Matsko, Matco) is also listed as being born in Austria in 04/1865. The 1910 Census lists 1890 as the year of immigratin to US and lists his parents as born in Aust/Slovak. It also lists him as being naturalized. I do know that John died in 1917 in PA. The 1920 Census lists only Mary and 7 of her children and her place of  birth as Sarris Slk. Her father's and mother's birthplace says Sarris Hun. All of them spoke Slovak. Now the 1920 census also lists the oldest son, Joseph.It states that the birthplace of his mother, Mary was Spiska Hun. (This may also read Spinka---the page is difficult to read.) The port of entry is unknown at this time as is the name of the ship. I assume they were Catholic.

      I'm not sure where to go from here. How can I research further into the areas of Austria, Hungary or Slovakia if I can't read the language? If I request information from the immigration dept., how can i be sure it is the correct John Mihal? I'd appreciate any information or direction anyone can give! Thanks!

    • Samuel Ontko
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
        Hi Melissa

        First step is finding the ancestral village(s) in Slovakia. You could be looking for one village if they were married in Slovakia, or two if they were married in the states.

        I recently had very good luck finding naturalization papers at the county level in PA. So that is what I would suggest you do first. For that time period that would be the natural thing to do, but for that time period it may also be that even if you find the papers they may not be as detailed as in later years.

        You may also need to investigate if anyone has any old papers that might be baptism records, naturalization records, bibles, or marriage records

        Good luck.

        Sam

[...]

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
          Melissa,
          The places of birth you give I believe are not specific towns, rather regions.
          Sarris, Slk I believe is Saris, Slovakia.
          Sarris, Hun is Saris, Hungary.
          Spiska, Hun is Spis, Hungary.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
            Saris and Spis are regions in Slovakia (SK).
            I am not aware of any Spis region in today´s Hungary (H).

            Major town in Spis region is Spisska Nova Ves (SK). Try http://maps.google.com/

            I am Slovakian, my name is Jozef, born in Bratislava (SK), since 11/2005 until 11/2009 living in New York.

            - Mihal - if it is first (given) name, it is Michal in slovakian language.
            If it is a family name (surname), it could be anything.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
              Melissa,
              I entered your three spellings of the surname in the 1995 Slovak Census database. It has no listings for Mehal and Mehall. It does for Mihal, with two spellings, One without any dialect marks and another with a mark over the "a". It is one of those good news, bad news situations. For the unmarked Mihal there are 366 listings in 99 places. For the marked Mihal there are 920 listings in 232 places. Which makes your surname pretty much the "Smith" of Slovakia.
              The results for Matko, Matsko and Matco. There were only listings for Matko. There were 264 of them in 68 places. None of the places were in Saris County. A great number were in Zilina County.
              You at least know how the names are spelled in Slovakia.
              So, as Samuel suggested, search your documents in America and see if they have listed the ancestral village.
              Ellis Island listings had 20 variations of John Mihal, only one was born in the 1850's. He entered in 1907 at age 50. There were five Mary/Maria Matko listings, but none born in the 1860's.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
                Melissa

                I have researched Macko. Usually it is changed to Matsko to sound like the slovak pronunciation.

                But I don't think your Macko was from my village and I think it is a common name.

                Sam

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
                  Jozef,
                  Welcome to Slovak-Roots. We always are in need of Slovak speakers.
                  In the late 1800's Hungary had Saros County, but not Spis region. That area was in Szepes County.
                  Melissa mentions a "Spiska, Hun" in her e-mail. I took a look at the 1910 Szepes County mapy. There is a town on it - Spiska.
                  Looking at a modern road atlas of Slovakia and the 1910 map it appears that Spiska would now be within the Vojensky obvod Javorina military reservation. Which means it no longer exists.