Re: [S-R] Need help with a translation please?

  • momsbeenscrappin
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 28, 2009
      Thank you so much Ben!

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

      > That first entry is very likely a name, but I can't make it out.  It looks like geninko- and the -ko ending is typical for a diminuitive of a Slovak child's name.  The word "dieta" is actually neuter, and babies are therefore usually refered to with -ko ending attached to thier names. David is then Dadko or Davidko, Martin is then Martinko, ect...
      > Girls usually do get the -ka ending, however.  I have to be honest, that verb didn't help either- as I couldn't tell for certain if it was really "narodilo" (signalizing most likely a boy) or "narodila" (signalizing a girl.)
      >
      > Sorry, but maybe Joe Armata can help us. :-) I would turn to him when I can't make something out...
      > Ben

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 28, 2009
        Oh, I forgot, Geninko would not make any sense. A genin is a biochemical term... so I doubt that anyone would name thier kid that..... :-)
        Ben

        > That first entry is very likely a name, but I can't make it out.  It looks like geninko- and the -ko ending is typical for a diminuitive of a Slovak child's name.  The word "dieta" is actually neuter, and babies are therefore usually refered to with -ko ending attached to thier names. David is then Dadko or Davidko, Martin is then Martinko, ect...
        > Girls usually do get the -ka ending, however.  I have to be honest, that verb didn't help either- as I couldn't tell for certain if it was really "narodilo" (signalizing most likely a boy) or "narodila" (signalizing a girl.)
        >
        > Sorry, but maybe Joe Armata can help us. :-) I would turn to him when I can't make something out...
        > Ben

      • Armata, Joseph R
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 29, 2009
          I think the first word is geninka, a diminutive for Eugenia. I'm sure those are a's at the end of geninka and narodila, the downstrokes are pretty strong.

          The book title is:
          The Essentials of Religious Rhetoric, a prayer book for every Catholic Christian and Catholic Singers.

          Joe
        • Ben Sorensen
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 29, 2009
            Thank you Joe! That is what happens when I am out of practice and speaking too much English! Oh well, I am heading home next weekend- so that should fix my Slovak right up! (need anything?)

            Anyways, you are right about the name. I wish I had thought about that- but I was reading -ko and thinking "genin." HA!

            The title however (and I can't believe that I get a chance to correct something!) was off on what I would consider "semantics."  The title you have right, except the "katolickym spevnikom" signifies that the book includes a "spevnik." Therefore--- and if you look really closely, there is a "s" inbetween the bold prints--- it is "with a Catholic songbook."

            Again, just semantics. That part isn't important.  That kid that didn't see its first birthday is, however.
            Ben

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 29, 2009
              Right you are, Ben! (I'm getting new glasses later this week!)
              Joe

            • Ben Sorensen
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 29, 2009
                I am too- in august. Otherwise, can't affort the finer things in Slovakia- like bryndza.  We should team up, Joe. :-D We work really well together.

                To the original poster:

                Hey, so is Geninka the little girl that you needed to find? You now have a name, dates, and if you know where the book was from, a place! Not to mention, you now also have the parents. I don't know how much info you have, but this now gives you a wicked starting place to find records! It usually takes people a LONG time to get this far, and the book held everything you need to start moving back, and forming a pedigree.  It starts getting fun when you find things from before language codification- or Slovak speakers educated in Hungarian schools......
                Ben

                Right you are, Ben! (I'm getting new glasses later this week!)
                Joe

              • momsbeenscrappin
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 29, 2009
                  WOW! Ben and Joe I can't thank you both enough - I left to run a few errands this morning and you both got it all figured out. This was my grandmother's prayer book that a cousin found in her father's house and brought to me at our family reunion on Ellis Island this past weekend. Five of the six children my grandparents had were born in the US and my only clue there may have been another child was from the 1910 federal census that stated my grandmother had 2 children but only 1 was living, and this occurred prior to the first child being born in the US in June 1910. So this is the confirmation - there was another baby. I'm floating right now! I'm sure my whole Schmaus family will be toasting you both this weekend for your help! My next step is to get a little money together and have some research done in Slovakia about my grandparents before they came here.
                  Thanks again - Doris

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                  > I am too- in august. Otherwise, can't affort the finer things in Slovakia- like bryndza.  We should team up, Joe. :-D We work really well together.
                  >
                  > To the original poster:
                  >
                  > Hey, so is Geninka the little girl that you needed to find? You now have a name, dates, and if you know where the book was from, a place! Not to mention, you now also have the parents. I don't know how much info you have, but this now gives you a wicked starting place to find records! It usually takes people a LONG time to get this far, and the book held everything you need to start moving back, and forming a pedigree.  It starts getting fun when you find things from before language codification- or Slovak speakers educated in Hungarian schools......
                  > Ben

                • Ben Sorensen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 29, 2009
                    Hi Doris,
                    This is a sad thing to write, but that happened ALOT- and still does.  IF you are going to look for a tombstone, I wouldn't waste a lot of time on it. Children rarely had more than wooden crosses or temporary wooden markers.  Our Babka herself buried at least 5 children- we know where the graves are because she is still alive (and we clean them for every Nov. 1st. At least, I should say, I used to help until we moved to NC.) Not one has a marker.

                    Churches do usually keep plot registries, though. :-) Sometimes inaccurate, but still good for leads.  BUT, if you are going to go through plot registries, go through the family registries instead. You will find much more important information....
                    Ben

                    WOW! Ben and Joe I can't thank you both enough - I left to run a few errands this morning and you both got it all figured out. This was my grandmother' s prayer book that a cousin found in her father's house and brought to me at our family reunion on Ellis Island this past weekend. Five of the six children my grandparents had were born in the US and my only clue there may have been another child was from the 1910 federal census that stated my grandmother had 2 children but only 1 was living, and this occurred prior to the first child being born in the US in June 1910. So this is the confirmation - there was another baby. I'm floating right now! I'm sure my whole Schmaus family will be toasting you both this weekend for your help! My next step is to get a little money together and have some research done in Slovakia about my grandparents before they came here.
                    Thanks again - Doris

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@. ..> wrote:

                    > I am too- in august. Otherwise, can't affort the finer things in Slovakia- like bryndza.  We should team up, Joe. :-D We work really well together.
                    >
                    > To the original poster:
                    >
                    > Hey, so is Geninka the little girl that you needed to find? You now have a name, dates, and if you know where the book was from, a place! Not to mention, you now also have the parents. I don't know how much info you have, but this now gives you a wicked starting place to find records! It usually takes people a LONG time to get this far, and the book held everything you need to start moving back, and forming a pedigree.  It starts getting fun when you find things from before language codification- or Slovak speakers educated in Hungarian schools..... .
                    > Ben

                  • momsbeenscrappin
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 29, 2009
                      Thanks for that advice Ben, I'll keep that in mind. First I have to find the church! My cousins and I were commenting that we know more about our grandparents now, more than 50 years after they've passed than when they were with us. I'm told their immigration and life prior to the US was never discussed at home and only here and there a little story would be told. Finding facts like this makes they seem real to me, not just names on a piece of paper or a tombstone. Thanks again, this means so much to me. Doris