Alien Registration Files News

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20, 2009
      I understand these were originally supposed to be temporary files.

      USCIS Transfers Historical Alien Registration Files to the National Archives

      By Carlos • June 9, 2009

      The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) began a huge endeavor last week to transfer alien registration files (A-files) from the Federal Records Center (FRC) to the National Archives.

      The A-file is a series of records consisting of numbered files used to document the complete history of the interaction between an alien and the U.S. government.

      The files contain biographic information, photographs, foreign birth certificates, marriage licenses, interview and/or immigration court transcripts, among other things. Currently, the USCIS maintains about 53 million A-files.

      Once all of the files have been transferred, they will be available in research rooms at the National Archives facilities in Kansas City or San Francisco depending on the geographic location of the last USCIS office that maintained the file prior to it being sent to the FRC.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 20, 2009
        Thanks for the update Ron. So it is going to be interesting to see how one
        will obtain a copy of the AR-1 from the National Archives. Until now, it
        was one stop shopping: petition the USCIS for the entire file. Now we will
        have to petition two places.
        Bill