Zelez, Yanick and Hura geneology

  • Dianne
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19, 2009
      My grandfather John Zelez (Zselyez) was from the village of Bezovce.  We believe he was married to Anna Handrus in 1893 -and had a son Janos- before coming to America in 1886.  She passed away in America.

      I know for certain he re-married in Pennsylvania Sept 19, 1899 to Anna Yanick.  Anna was born Oct. 13, 1878 in the village Lucky.  Her mother was Susan Hura.  Her father was Michael Yanick.

      Any information would be appreciated.

      Dianne

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 19, 2009
        >>> Anna was born Oct. 13, 1878 in the village Lucky.  Her mother was Susan Hura.  Her father was Michael Yanick [sic]. <<<

        There are several instance of Lucky in Slovakia. Current phone listings tell us that all the Huras in Luc'ky are in area code 056. That implies the one just east of Michalovce.

        Both Janic'(ova) and Janik(ova) appear in Michalovce but not in Luc'ky.

        You have not specified a religion. Church records for Luc'ky are available from your nearest LDS Family History Center. The 1869 Hungarian Census for Ung Megye (county) is lost to genealogists in the Uzhorod Ukrainian archives.