RE: [S-R] Zelez geneology

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2009
      Research in our region of the world is complex and confusing. If we all had
      paid a little better attention in history class.... well, this group
      provides remedial service in that area. ;) Once the fog passes and you
      begin to focus on the really important elements only, you will make fast
      progress. Archive records are generally well-preserved and unlike many
      other countries, the files are readily available, often with only a drive of
      a few miles to a microfilm reader....

      But do keep in mind, the gumshoe work comes from you - we can provide hints,
      clues and general advice, but the actual digging, including writing letters
      and waiting and following up is you.

      Keep asking your questions if you are unclear. If you write a lengthy
      letter, many people don't read it. So bunch it up into bite-sized messages
      and you'll get better responses.

      It is also helpful to provide the full context of your information, a
      digital image if at all possible when asked. When it was written, by whom
      and where is essential. A snippet from a full page is hard to read,
      especially if handwritten.

      There are many wonderful researchers who freely give of their time here, so
      persevere. The majority of inquiries are "cherry pickers" who will only
      spend an hour or two on it. The successful team year has patiently spent
      many years - it often takes decades for pieces to fit into place.

      Once you know your village, make every effort to publicize your village and
      attract others who may be researching your village. Often they are not on
      this forum today, but will show up, sooner or later in a few years. So
      monitoring this group for years is essential.

      As said, "Brick walls show you how badly you want something." Keep
      collecting info, keep fishing. It took 10 years, but I actually found the
      family whose grandfather as a child wrote letters from Czechoslovakia on
      behalf of his family to my grandmother in the USA. Its amazing what can
      happen if you keep the fishing lure in the pond.

      Best wishes,

      Bill