Zelez geneology

  • Dianne
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2009
      Thank you to so many people who have responded to my message asking for help.  I have only been with this group for 1 day and already have some answers!

      This is very exciting to me....I am very hopeful that I'll have a lot more answers no one in our family could help with.

      Dianne Zelez

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 18, 2009
        Research in our region of the world is complex and confusing. If we all had
        paid a little better attention in history class.... well, this group
        provides remedial service in that area. ;) Once the fog passes and you
        begin to focus on the really important elements only, you will make fast
        progress. Archive records are generally well-preserved and unlike many
        other countries, the files are readily available, often with only a drive of
        a few miles to a microfilm reader....

        But do keep in mind, the gumshoe work comes from you - we can provide hints,
        clues and general advice, but the actual digging, including writing letters
        and waiting and following up is you.

        Keep asking your questions if you are unclear. If you write a lengthy
        letter, many people don't read it. So bunch it up into bite-sized messages
        and you'll get better responses.

        It is also helpful to provide the full context of your information, a
        digital image if at all possible when asked. When it was written, by whom
        and where is essential. A snippet from a full page is hard to read,
        especially if handwritten.

        There are many wonderful researchers who freely give of their time here, so
        persevere. The majority of inquiries are "cherry pickers" who will only
        spend an hour or two on it. The successful team year has patiently spent
        many years - it often takes decades for pieces to fit into place.

        Once you know your village, make every effort to publicize your village and
        attract others who may be researching your village. Often they are not on
        this forum today, but will show up, sooner or later in a few years. So
        monitoring this group for years is essential.

        As said, "Brick walls show you how badly you want something." Keep
        collecting info, keep fishing. It took 10 years, but I actually found the
        family whose grandfather as a child wrote letters from Czechoslovakia on
        behalf of his family to my grandmother in the USA. Its amazing what can
        happen if you keep the fishing lure in the pond.

        Best wishes,

        Bill