Re: [S-R] Family tree help

  • Dianne
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 18, 2009
      I just joined this group in hopes of finding any info on my grandparents.  I just read the posts from this discussion and i remembered as a child being told that my relatives had an ice cream store that was confiscated.

      dianne zelez mills

      From: Tom Geiss <tomfgurka@gvtc. com>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

      This all sounds like a very interesting story. You do have something that I do not . You have living cousins there, who could remember things if they wanted to.
      Also, I gather that you know the Slovak language, and can communicate easily
      Of course you probably know that people there went through communist occupation from the second world war until 1989, with property confiscations and all, things which they just want to forget. (And maybe they're afraid that this will come back again).

      That seems to be a common thread. People "DON'T REMEMBER". Never heard their parents talk about the past. (Maybe they're afraid to remember).?? ?

      You didn't say if these deaths were accidental? Or if there is something more sinister afoot? This all sounds like material for an interesting book. Maybe you should start writing an outline now??
      In the last three years, of searching for my family tree, I have obtained a very rich knowledge of that part of Eastern Europe, if nothing else.
      Tom
      From: Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@ iabsi.com>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

      Hi,
      I assume because you have traveled there, you have met relatives. Perhaps
      you are trying to build a family tree?
      Bill

      From: Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@ iabsi.com>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

      Hi correspondent and welcome.

      I'm a bit confused about what your objective is. Are you looking to meet
      these families in these villages?
      Bill