RE: [S-R] Szarka and Sarka

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
      Thanks, Ben. I feel better now. I do not have a good Slovak-English
      dictionary and have to depend on the not-so-adequate ones that are on line.
      I do, however, have a good Hungarian-English dictionary and, yes, szarka
      means magpie. There are so many borrow words between Hungarian and Slovak
      that I never questioned the possibility, even the probability, that they
      were the same word. Assumptions can get you in a lot of trouble.

      Even if we cannot say that the meanings of szarka and sarka are the same,
      that still leaves the possibility that the NAMES are the same—that Sarka is
      a Slovak spelling of the Hungarian name Szarka. As I mentioned before, the
      fact that Szarkas outnumber Sarkas both in Slovakia and Hungary, and that
      both names appear to be more common in Hungary than in Slovakia, would tend
      to support such a hypothesis, but of course does not prove it. One would
      need to see a single family using both spellings, which might well turn up
      in the church records.

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
        Hi,

        I looked up "magpie" in Hungarian and it is szakra.
        Szarka is Hungarian for "pie."

        No translation available in Slovak for sarka.

        Theresa
      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
          Hi Theresa,

          I know it's very late (nearly 4 a.m. here), but you've either got a bad
          Hungarian dictionary or a typo. It is szarka, not szakra.

          Got to get some sleep.

          Janet

          _____