RE: [S-R] Szarka and Sarka

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 14 3:01 PM
      I swear I didn't just make it up out of thin air when I stated that sarka
      meant magpie in Slovak. However, I must confess that I cannot now find the
      reference. On the other hand, there are quite a few sites that state that
      �arka means magpie in Lithuanian-not that that is any help. Indeed, straka
      seems to be the Slovak word for magpie. I apologize for my error.

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 14 8:17 PM
        Dear Janet,
        I doubt that you could make that up in thin air. I am almost certain that the source you had was confused between two very similar- and even more so if you are not speaking Slovak every day!- spellings: SARKA and STRAKA. I am sure you know that the quality of bilingual dictionaries in SK-EN are very low compared to German/Spanish/Italian or even thier Czech counterparts. It is a problem, and people end up saying things in one language or the other because of it that confuse or misguide us.

        I would like to point out how many SLOVAK books are on the market on AbeBooks, and they are listed as Slovenian/Croatian/LATVIAN. This is a renouned book-seller, and yet the mistake is RIGHT there for everyone to see- but NO ONE fixes it, because so few of us would notice it. It is NOT something to be ashamed of... and you don't need to appologize for the mistake. One person told me thier favorite Slovak saying- and it was in German. :-P There you go...

        I wonder what the word for magpie is in Hungarian- perhaps szarka? I dunno... I am still learning English- my first language- and therefore I commend your attempt to translate sarka. My previous spelling of plum proves that, and I taught English. Kazdy sa myli/everyone makes mistakes.
        Ben

        > meant magpie in Slovak. However, I must confess that I
        > cannot now find the
        > reference. On the other hand, there are quite a few sites
        > that state that
        > ¹arka means magpie in Lithuanian-not that that is any
        > help. Indeed, straka
        > seems to be the Slovak word for magpie. I apologize for my
        > error.
        >

        > Janet
        >

        >   _____
        >
        > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

      • Nick Holcz
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 15 12:00 AM
          Ben
          Plumb is level
          Plum is fruit
          It's OK cos Slovak is like Martian to me

          Nick
        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 15 12:21 AM
            Thanks, Ben. I feel better now. I do not have a good Slovak-English
            dictionary and have to depend on the not-so-adequate ones that are on line.
            I do, however, have a good Hungarian-English dictionary and, yes, szarka
            means magpie. There are so many borrow words between Hungarian and Slovak
            that I never questioned the possibility, even the probability, that they
            were the same word. Assumptions can get you in a lot of trouble.

            Even if we cannot say that the meanings of szarka and sarka are the same,
            that still leaves the possibility that the NAMES are the same—that Sarka is
            a Slovak spelling of the Hungarian name Szarka. As I mentioned before, the
            fact that Szarkas outnumber Sarkas both in Slovakia and Hungary, and that
            both names appear to be more common in Hungary than in Slovakia, would tend
            to support such a hypothesis, but of course does not prove it. One would
            need to see a single family using both spellings, which might well turn up
            in the church records.

            Janet

            _____

            --- On Sun, 6/14/09, Janet Kozlay <kozlay@verizon.

            <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
            > -or- send blank email to SLOVAK-ROOTS-
            <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
            unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comYahoo!
            > Groups Links
            >

            > mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-
            <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>
            fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • Theresa
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 15 12:35 AM
              Hi,

              I looked up "magpie" in Hungarian and it is szakra.
              Szarka is Hungarian for "pie."

              No translation available in Slovak for sarka.

              Theresa
            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 15 12:57 AM
                Hi Theresa,

                I know it's very late (nearly 4 a.m. here), but you've either got a bad
                Hungarian dictionary or a typo. It is szarka, not szakra.

                Got to get some sleep.

                Janet

                _____