Re: [S-R] Szarka/Krizsek

  • Ben/Milka Sorensen
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 14, 2009
      Sarka- vírusová choroba sliviek prejavujúca sa prehlbeninami a hnednutím povrchu plodov.

      Sarka (En? anyone?)- a viral ailment that attacks plumbs, indicated by a thickening and a browning of the fruit's surface.

      I am not very good at zoology in English or Slovak, and I don't speak Hungarian, but this is just to correct that a sarka is NOT a magpie in Slovak. In Slovak, that is straka ciernozoba. Just so that no one goes looking for sarky in Slovakia- you will be doing something other than ornithology.

      It is the bane of all brewers of slivovica- and that is how I knew that translation was incorrect. :-P
      Ben

      > In addition to Michael's information, the Hungarian spelled Szarka and
      > Slovak spelled Sarka are both relatively common in the Slovak phone
      > directory (168 and 127, respectively; also, 75 Szarkovas and 29 Sarkovas).
      > They are even more common in the Hungarian phone directory-both spellings
      > occur in Hungary in excess of 500 entries. To confuse the issue even
      > further, if you look at the census records for 1910 and 1920, where country
      > of birth and language spoken are both listed, there is no strong correlation
      > between spelling and language spoken. That is, you will find Szarkas
      > speaking Slovak and Sarkas speaking Hungarian. In addition, you will find
      > mixed families where the husband spoke one language and the wife the other.
      > In truth, many immigrants from historic Hungary were at least bilingual and
      > probably most commonly spoke the language of the neighborhood in which they
      > settled.
      >

      > The fact that Szarka (and Szarkova) is found more frequently than Sarka (and
      > Sarkova) suggests, but does not prove, that it may have Hungarian origins.
      > The name means magpie in both languages.
      >

      > If this is an important issue for you, I suggest that you find the U.S.
      > census records for the family and see what language they reported using.
      >

      > In contrast, Krizsek/Krizek is quite rare in Hungary (Krizsek 7 phone
      > directory entries, Krizek 1 entry).
      >

      > Janet
      >

      > _____

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 14, 2009
        I just read this again, and whilst writing a friend a recipe and responding to this, I told him to wait for the froth to begin pitting, and wrote about the thickening of the plumb skin.

        So, my correction- the plumb gets pitted, not thickened.
        I am home alone with a four year old. Sorry all. :-D
        Ben

        Sarka- vírusová choroba sliviek prejavujúca sa prehlbeninami a hnednutím povrchu plodov.

        Sarka (En? anyone?)- a viral ailment that attacks plumbs, indicated by a thickening and a browning of the fruit's surface.

        I am not very good at zoology in English or Slovak, and I don't speak Hungarian, but this is just to correct that a sarka is NOT a magpie in Slovak. In Slovak, that is straka ciernozoba. Just so that no one goes looking for sarky in Slovakia- you will be doing something other than ornithology.

        It is the bane of all brewers of slivovica- and that is how I knew that translation was incorrect. :-P
        Ben

        > In addition to Michael's information, the Hungarian spelled Szarka and
        > Slovak spelled Sarka are both relatively common in the Slovak phone
        > directory (168 and 127, respectively; also, 75 Szarkovas and 29 Sarkovas).
        > They are even more common in the Hungarian phone directory-both spellings
        > occur in Hungary in excess of 500 entries. To confuse the issue even
        > further, if you look at the census records for 1910 and 1920, where country
        > of birth and language spoken are both listed, there is no strong correlation
        > between spelling and language spoken. That is, you will find Szarkas
        > speaking Slovak and Sarkas speaking Hungarian. In addition, you will find
        > mixed families where the husband spoke one language and the wife the other.
        > In truth, many immigrants from historic Hungary were at least bilingual and
        > probably most commonly spoke the language of the neighborhood in which they
        > settled.
        >

        > The fact that Szarka (and Szarkova) is found more frequently than Sarka (and
        > Sarkova) suggests, but does not prove, that it may have Hungarian origins.
        > The name means magpie in both languages.
        >

        > If this is an important issue for you, I suggest that you find the U.S.
        > census records for the family and see what language they reported using.
        >

        > In contrast, Krizsek/Krizek is quite rare in Hungary (Krizsek 7 phone
        > directory entries, Krizek 1 entry).
        >

        > Janet
        >

        > _____

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 14, 2009
          I swear I didn't just make it up out of thin air when I stated that sarka
          meant magpie in Slovak. However, I must confess that I cannot now find the
          reference. On the other hand, there are quite a few sites that state that
          �arka means magpie in Lithuanian-not that that is any help. Indeed, straka
          seems to be the Slovak word for magpie. I apologize for my error.

          Janet

          _____

          Sarka- v�rusov� choroba sliviek prejavuj�ca sa prehlbeninami a hnednut�m

        • Ben Sorensen
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 14, 2009
            Dear Janet,
            I doubt that you could make that up in thin air. I am almost certain that the source you had was confused between two very similar- and even more so if you are not speaking Slovak every day!- spellings: SARKA and STRAKA. I am sure you know that the quality of bilingual dictionaries in SK-EN are very low compared to German/Spanish/Italian or even thier Czech counterparts. It is a problem, and people end up saying things in one language or the other because of it that confuse or misguide us.

            I would like to point out how many SLOVAK books are on the market on AbeBooks, and they are listed as Slovenian/Croatian/LATVIAN. This is a renouned book-seller, and yet the mistake is RIGHT there for everyone to see- but NO ONE fixes it, because so few of us would notice it. It is NOT something to be ashamed of... and you don't need to appologize for the mistake. One person told me thier favorite Slovak saying- and it was in German. :-P There you go...

            I wonder what the word for magpie is in Hungarian- perhaps szarka? I dunno... I am still learning English- my first language- and therefore I commend your attempt to translate sarka. My previous spelling of plum proves that, and I taught English. Kazdy sa myli/everyone makes mistakes.
            Ben

            > meant magpie in Slovak. However, I must confess that I
            > cannot now find the
            > reference. On the other hand, there are quite a few sites
            > that state that
            > ¹arka means magpie in Lithuanian-not that that is any
            > help. Indeed, straka
            > seems to be the Slovak word for magpie. I apologize for my
            > error.
            >

            > Janet
            >

            >   _____
            >
            > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
              Ben
              Plumb is level
              Plum is fruit
              It's OK cos Slovak is like Martian to me

              Nick
            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
                Thanks, Ben. I feel better now. I do not have a good Slovak-English
                dictionary and have to depend on the not-so-adequate ones that are on line.
                I do, however, have a good Hungarian-English dictionary and, yes, szarka
                means magpie. There are so many borrow words between Hungarian and Slovak
                that I never questioned the possibility, even the probability, that they
                were the same word. Assumptions can get you in a lot of trouble.

                Even if we cannot say that the meanings of szarka and sarka are the same,
                that still leaves the possibility that the NAMES are the same—that Sarka is
                a Slovak spelling of the Hungarian name Szarka. As I mentioned before, the
                fact that Szarkas outnumber Sarkas both in Slovakia and Hungary, and that
                both names appear to be more common in Hungary than in Slovakia, would tend
                to support such a hypothesis, but of course does not prove it. One would
                need to see a single family using both spellings, which might well turn up
                in the church records.

                Janet

                _____

                --- On Sun, 6/14/09, Janet Kozlay <kozlay@verizon.

                <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
                > -or- send blank email to SLOVAK-ROOTS-
                <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comYahoo!
                > Groups Links
                >

                > mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-
                <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>
                fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              • Theresa
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
                  Hi,

                  I looked up "magpie" in Hungarian and it is szakra.
                  Szarka is Hungarian for "pie."

                  No translation available in Slovak for sarka.

                  Theresa
                • Janet Kozlay
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
                    Hi Theresa,

                    I know it's very late (nearly 4 a.m. here), but you've either got a bad
                    Hungarian dictionary or a typo. It is szarka, not szakra.

                    Got to get some sleep.

                    Janet

                    _____