RE: [S-R] Family tree help

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 13, 2009
      Hi correspondent and welcome.

      I'm a bit confused about what your objective is. Are you looking to meet
      these families in these villages?
      Bill

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 13, 2009
        Hi Bill!

        I'm impressed with the work you are doing and am glad you are helping me! I'm trying to piece together my family tree.

        I noticed that you don't have any photos of Pcoline. Would you like some? I was just there in May 2009. Which is what started me on my quest.

        I'm a bit confused about what your objective is. Are you looking to meet
        these families in these villages?
        Bill

        I am researching my family tree. I need help with finding Latta and Terek
        families in Pcoline and Olle and Halas families in Zaluzitce.

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 13, 2009
          >>> I'm trying to piece together my family tree. <<<

          LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Pèoliné (Snina), Slovakia, formerly Pcsolina (also called Méhesfalva), Zemplen, Hungary.

          LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Vel'ké Zalužice, Slovakia; formerly Nagyzalacska, Ung, Hungary.

          BASIC RESEARCH HELP
          For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

          FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 13, 2009
            Hi,
            I assume because you have traveled there, you have met relatives. Perhaps
            you are trying to build a family tree?

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 13, 2009
              Hello

              My family has experienced a death a year and in some times we have had two in one year since 1997. I went to Pcoline which is my mothers home town on the advise of my doctor and it worked. I saw the graves of some of my family and odd as it may seem I did feel better about life. I found the graves of my  maternal great grandparents and I started wondering about all that came before them too. So I now feel compelled to find my ancestors. I'm curious as to how far back in time I can go.

              Yes, I have met all my mothers brothers and sisters and my fathers brothers. Also, most of my cousins and their childern.

              Unfortunately, because of the deaths in my mothers family there is a little bit of feuding and when ever I go to Slovakia to visit they are afraid that I am there to lay claim to the family properties. Well I think so because they really don't like it when I ask questions and they even try to keep me away from Pcoline. Oh yes. I don't know if any family members still live in Pcoline. Though when I go there I see alot of  faces that could very well be from my family.

              I assume because you have traveled there, you have met relatives. Perhaps
              you are trying to build a family tree?
              Bill

              I'm a bit confused about what your objective is. Are you looking to meet
              these families in these villages?
              Bill

              I am researching my family tree. I need help with finding Latta and Terek
              families in Pcoline and Olle and Halas families in Zaluzitce.

              http://www.flickr. com/gift/

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 14, 2009
                >>> I'm curious as to how far back in time I can go. <<<

                In Pcoline GC church records 1810 and Zaluzice RC 1824. All you have to do is to order the films and get on with your research.

                You haven't divulged the relevant religion(s).
              • Tom Geiss
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 14, 2009
                  This all sounds like a very interesting story. You do have something that I do not . You have living cousins there, who could remember things if they wanted to.
                  Also, I gather that you know the Slovak language, and can communicate easily
                  Of course you probably know that people there went through communist occupation from the second world war until 1989, with property confiscations and all, things which they just want to forget. (And maybe they're afraid that this will come back again).

                  That seems to be a common thread. People "DON'T REMEMBER". Never heard their parents talk about the past. (Maybe they're afraid to remember).???

                  You didn't say if these deaths were accidental? Or if there is something more sinister afoot? This all sounds like material for an interesting book. Maybe you should start writing an outline now??
                  In the last three years, of searching for my family tree, I have obtained a very rich knowledge of that part of Eastern Europe, if nothing else.
                  Tom
[...]

                • coolkeytool
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 14, 2009

                    > Have you researched the church records at LDS? What religion?

                    I don't know what LDS is. I'm sure the majority of Rusin people are Greco Catholic. I'm very sure my family is. I think the church in Pcolina is too.
                  • johnqadam
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 14, 2009
                      >>> I don't know what LDS is. I'm sure the majority of Rusin people are Greco Catholic. I'm very sure my family is. I think the church in Pcolina is too. <<<

                      BASIC RESEARCH HELP
                      For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

                      FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia

                      CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
                      The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve the microfilm readers to view these records.

                      There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need groups like this to point you in the right direction.

                      When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).

                      You can go to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) web site to locate your nearest Family History Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.
                    • johnqadam
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 14, 2009
                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "coolkeytool" <coolkeytool@...> wrote:

> [...]

                        The general answer about church records is in the previous REPLY. Here is the spewcific reference to Pcoline.

                        LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Pèoliné (Snina), Slovakia, formerly Pcsolina (also called Méhesfalva), Zemplen, Hungary. Includes some late registration of births which occurred while the family was abroad in America.

                        Inv. è. 799 Krsty 1811-1866 -- Úmrtia 1842-1866 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1837-1866 -- Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1830 -- Úmrtia 1810-1842 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1810-1836 -- Inv. è. 800 Krsty 1867-1884 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793220 Items 2 - 3 ]

                        Inv. è. 800 (pokraè.) Krsty 1884-1900 -- Inv. è. 801 Krsty (oneškoreny registrace) 1892-1910 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1867-1938 -- Úmrtia 1866-1917 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793221 Items 1 - 2 ]

                        LDS also has the VERY INFORMATIVE 1869 Hungarian Census:
                        Pelejte (Plechotice) -- Pecsolina (Pèoliné) -- Peticse (Ptièie) -- Petkócz (Petkovce) Film #722766

                        With what knowledge you already have, the above three films will give you 200 years of your family history.

                        After you have finished with Pcoline, you can start on Zaluzice.

                        Happy squinting.
                      • liese niedermayer
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 17, 2009
                          Hi - As far as the Terek branch you may get some insight by a Leslie Turek. Her father passed away last year but checked out some areas. Google Leslie Turek and see what you can find - at the bottom of her page. Also check Carpatho-Rusyn showing a list of people looking for your family surnames. That's how I found Turek. - Mr. Turek was looking for 15 different family surnames. Two of them were mine. Got to go. Good Luck!

                          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                          From: coolkeytool@...
                          Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:39:23 +0000

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 17, 2009
                            Hello Liese niedermayer!

                            Thankyou so much for the tip! As a matter of fact I was visiting my Aunt Turek in Humenne this past May! May be you might be a part of my tree too! I have to admit though, I haven't heard your name in my family. Yet.

                            Thanks again,

                            Milan

                            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
                            From: coolkeytool@ yahoo.ca
                            Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:39:23 +0000

                            I am researching my family tree. I need help with finding Latta and Terek families in Pcoline and Olle and Halas families in Zaluzitce.

                            http://windowslive. com/Tutorial/ Hotmail/QuickAdd ?ocid=TXT_ TAGLM_WL_ HM_Tutorial_ QuickAdd_ 062009

                          • Milan Olle
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 17, 2009
                              Tom Geiss

                              Thank you for your response.

                              Yes I know the Slovak language. But. I'm a little embarrassed to say on an Eastern Slovakia group that I learned a western dialect while growing up. So I do have a bit of a hard time understanding the Rusyn dialect. Also, I was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. English is my First Language and I don't get many opportunities to exercise my Slovak tongue.

                              I assure you that all except two deaths in my family were "natural".

                              I guess I could write a book. But I'm afraid it would be the same stories that we've all heard in many Rusyn towns. For example: The Nazis are looking for Partisans in the town. They go from house to house demanding the occupants to come out. If no one comes out a gernade is thrown in to assure the house is empty before to Nazis enter or after the war the communists come to town. Land owners are forced to sign over their properties to the communist party or be punished with their families. Many flee to avoid indignities. I am finding these kind of stories are common among rusyns. I am sure many of you have heard these kinds stories.

[...]

                              Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane with All new Yahoo! Mail: http://ca.promos. yahoo.com/ newmail/overview 2/

                            • Dianne
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 18, 2009
                                I just joined this group in hopes of finding any info on my grandparents.  I just read the posts from this discussion and i remembered as a child being told that my relatives had an ice cream store that was confiscated.

                                dianne zelez mills

                                Get the name you've always wanted @... or @rocketmail. com! Go to http://ca.promos. yahoo.com/ jacko/