Searching

  • John Kozakiewicz
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2000
      Seeking information on my grandparents, the only data I have is off his
      death certificate and is as follows:

      Name: Andrew Gajdarik (could the surname been misspelled at Ellis Is)

      Born August 7, 1877 in Czechoslovakia ( which did not exist then)

      Died June 7, 1962 in Maspeth, Queens, NYC, NY

      Name Elizabeth Sabolova

      Born April 2, 1880 in Czechoslovakia

      Died February 11, 1967

      Last address was:

      58-26 69th Lane
      Maspeth, Queens
      NYC, NY

      Any help would be appreciated.

      John Kozakiewicz
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, John Kozakiewicz <johnkay@e...>
        wrote:
        > Seeking information on my grandparents, the only data I have is off
        his
        > death certificate and is as follows:
        >
        > Name: Andrew Gajdarik (could the surname been misspelled at
        Ellis Is)

        > Born August 7, 1877 in Czechoslovakia ( which did not exist
        then)

        > Died June 7, 1962 in Maspeth, Queens, NYC, NY
        >
        > Name Elizabeth Sabolova
        >
        > Born April 2, 1880 in Czechoslovakia
        >
        > Died February 11, 1967
        >
        > Last address was:
        >
        > 58-26 69th Lane
        > Maspeth, Queens
        > NYC, NY
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > John Kozakiewicz

        In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from the
        Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and a
        portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

        (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

        8 surname Gajdarik are listed in the Social Security Death Index.

        http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Gajdarik&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f
        20=&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit
        423=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

        SS began in 1937 and GF died in 1962.
        Why wasn't he listed in the Index ?

        Gajdar can be a Slovak surname.
        Gajdarik may be a diminutive form.

        GM's maiden name was Sabol rather than Sabolová.

        As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská,
        or -ová.
        The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate form
        of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.
        If surname is a noun in form or origin the suffix -ová is added to
        it,
        So Mrs. or Miss Sabolová, family name Sabol.

        Probably 2000-3000 Sabol surname bearers just in the U.S.

        The Slovakia telephone directory lists 1 surname Gajdarik under
        Bradejov in eastern Slovakia.
        Directory also lists 2 surnames under Janovce, Slovakia.
      • John Kozakiewicz
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2000
          Frank,
          Thanks for the update. The Gajdarik`s on the S.S. Death Index are uncles
          and cousins. Do not know why my G.Pa is not listed. I have his SSN and will
          call the local office to see what they can do for me.
          Also thanks for the lead to the telephone directory, would you happen to
          have the address for it?
          And thanks for the follow up on my G.Ma.

          Thanks again,
          John Kozakiewicz

          At 01:13 PM 8/31/2000 +0000, you wrote:

          >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, John Kozakiewicz <johnkay@e...>
          >wrote:
          > > Seeking information on my grandparents, the only data I have is off
          >his
          > > death certificate and is as follows:
          > >
          > > Name: Andrew Gajdarik (could the surname been misspelled at
          >Ellis Is)
          > >
          > > Born August 7, 1877 in Czechoslovakia ( which did not exist
          >then)
          > >
          > > Died June 7, 1962 in Maspeth, Queens, NYC, NY
          > >
          > > Name Elizabeth Sabolova
          > >
          > > Born April 2, 1880 in Czechoslovakia
          > >
          > > Died February 11, 1967
          > >
          > > Last address was:
          > >
          > > 58-26 69th Lane
          > > Maspeth, Queens
          > > NYC, NY
          > >
          > > Any help would be appreciated.
          > >
          > > John Kozakiewicz
          >
          >In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from the
          >Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and a
          >portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).
          >
          >(Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")
          >
          >8 surname Gajdarik are listed in the Social Security Death Index.
          >
          >http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Gajdarik&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f
          >20=&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit
          >423=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=
          >
          >SS began in 1937 and GF died in 1962.
          >Why wasn't he listed in the Index ?
          >
          >Gajdar can be a Slovak surname.
          >Gajdarik may be a diminutive form.
          >
          >GM's maiden name was Sabol rather than Sabolová.
          >
          >As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská,
          >or -ová.
          >The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate form
          >of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.
          >If surname is a noun in form or origin the suffix -ová is added to
          >it,
          >So Mrs. or Miss Sabolová, family name Sabol.
          >
          >Probably 2000-3000 Sabol surname bearers just in the U.S.
          >
          >The Slovakia telephone directory lists 1 surname Gajdarik under
          >Bradejov in eastern Slovakia.
          >Directory also lists 2 surnames under Janovce, Slovakia.
        • jwales38
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 25, 2011
            My name is John, I'm trying to locate records on my great-grandparents who I was told came from Slovakia. Maria Palsa was supposedly from/near Bardejov or Hertnik. Andrew Yanik, I'm still unsure where in Slovakia he was from.
          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 25, 2011
              John,
              From the 1995 Slovak Census: The surname Palsa had 142 listings in 40 locations. The Top 10 are listed below. The “okr.” before the word is equivalent to our county. As you see, 6 of the the 10 locations are in the okr. of Bardejov. And #2 and # 5 location you mentioned in your email.
              Priezvisko PALŠA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 142×, celkový počet lokalít: 40, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
              PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV – 16×;
              HERTNÍK, okr. BARDEJOV – 15×;
              OSIKOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 13×;
              HERVARTOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 10×;
              BARDEJOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 7×;
              VANIŠKOVCE, okr. BARDEJOV – 6×;
              CHRENOVÁ (obec NITRA), okr. NITRA – 5×;
              FINTICE, okr. PREŠOV – 5×;
              NIŽNÉ RASLAVICE (obec RASLAVICE), okr. BARDEJOV – 5×;
              GELNICA, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES (od r. 1996 GELNICA) – 3×;

              https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757206 This is the link to the Hertnik Roman Catholic records online. The a fairly short only 1850 to 1890.

              https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757201 This is the link to the Bardejov Roman Catholic Records online. They are extensive since it is a large city.