Are Bereg and Bereska the same county?

  • mromanstix
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2009
      First, I want say I am very grateful for this site as I have recently joined it and have gotten numerous helpful hints from it. As a result, I was able to identify my grandparents records in Ellis Island which previously, had me stumped for years.

      I am now trying to identify the town my grandmother came from. Her various documents identify the town as: Makaria (Austria Hungary), Makajovo or Makarova (Czechoslovakia). I have her birth certificate which identifies the county (zupa) as Bereska (the birth certificate was reissued in 1926).

      I know towns have different names in Hungarian, Slovak, Russian, etc and at different times were called different names as the country they were in changed. I have identified a town now in the Ukraine in the county of Bereg that is called Makaria and Makarovo. It seems to fit everything I know: it is in the Carpathian Mountains, it was part of Hungary and then part of Czechoslovakia in the 1920's, and the name fits.

      So my question is: was the county of Bereg also known as Bereska?

      Thanks in advance for your help!

      Michelle
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2009
        Welcome!
        "Bereska" is most likely Beregska, probably used during the interwar period)
        the former county of Bereg.
        Your detective work is good, congrats!

        In my reference the village of:

        MAKAROVO (Ukraine, present day) = MAKARJA (Magyar, name used pre-1918 and
        1939-1945), Makarove (Slovak, 1918 to 1939)
        This village is in in county Bereg, district(jaras) of MUNKACSI

        So this village was in:
        Hungary pre 1918
        1st Czechoslovakia 1918-1939
        Hungary 1939-1945
        Ukraine 1945-present
        Which explains the names used.

        Regards,
        Bill

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13, 2009
          "Bereska" is most likely Beregska, probably used during the interwar period)the former county of Bereg.

          This question and answer has me thinking about the area I'm trying to locate,

          In the 1920 census my grandfather identified his birthplace as "Beretski" Austria, language is Slovak. Prior to this on his WWI draft registration I have a birthplace of Zara Sigar Austria and a citizen of Austria-Hungary.

          Could Beretski also be Bereg? as in the previous message, if so then can anyone guess where Zara Sigar might be? I've uploaded a copy of his WWI Draft Registration into a folder under files named Charles Trimbath.

          Thanks for getting me excited about this search again, I has it on the back burner for a while and now maybe I can get somewhere with it.

          Lisa
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 13, 2009
            I don't' think it's Bereg. There were (pretty much) no Slovaks over there.
            What was his religion? Even the surname doesn't belong in that region.
            Moreso in Czech Rep., maybe....

            The county designations -ska did not apply to Austria. Austria includes
            Czech republic and Galicia/Poland, though there wasn't much name changing
            going on there. I'm wondering if it's in eastern Czech republic? There was
            a bit of ethnic mixing between Slovaks in Czech. Only a few Slovak villages
            bordering on Poland went back and forth between countries and not until
            late.

            I presume these are phonetics, since there is no matches in my books. There
            are many villages that being with BEREG and BERET. Have to narrow this
            down. Villages that end in the phonetic "ski" are generally not Slovak or
            Magyar/"Hungarian". Sounds-like "Ski" are more likely Poland or Ukraine,
            but there are always exceptions. What does his immigration record show?
            Know any other names from that village living here that he might have been
            friends with?

            Just some food for thought. No conclusions yet. I think Zara Sigar needs
            more research. I don't have any Czech books, but I might look there next.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 13, 2009
              ZARA - TOWN
              SIGAR - STATE
              AUSTRIA - COUNTRY

              The above is how the words line up on the registration form.
              Is how the registration reads.
              I wonder if Sigar is a district or county.

              I think the name you have above is hugely phonetic. I'm looking at names
              like ZIGARD, ZIDAR and similar. I am thinking Zara, might actually be STARA
              for "old".

              I am not so sure any more about" Beretski"

              Who knows. Need more free thinking here by other members...

              Bill

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 15, 2009
                Hi Bill

                Thanks for your input on the matter, in answer to your questions:

                What was his religion? -

                He was married in the Roman Catholic Church in Republic, but my Aunt say he would walk to a nearby town to attend a Greek/Orthodox? (forgive my ignorance here) Church and they remember celebrating 2 Christmas Masses, one in December and one in January.

                Even the surname doesn't belong in that region.-

                I don't have his real last name, he went to work in the mines when he was quite young (he said 12) and was befriended by an fatherly man whose surname was Trimbath, so everyone began calling him Trimbath. I have been in contact with the grandson of this man and he remembers this story being told by his father and grandfather.

                What does his immigration record show? I have not had any luck locating his arrival record, he was never naturalized. I have requested records from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services but nothing was found.

                The 1930 census lists his birth place as being in Czechoslovakia and to confuse things, on his WWII draft registration he states he was born in Cambria, PA and on his Social Security Application he gives his birth place as Haston, Cambria, PA.

                I swear this man did his best to keep his past from being discovered. We lived across the country and only visited a couple times when I was a child so I don't have many 1st hand memories.

                One of my male cousin had his DNA tested last year and we have a couple matches (distant 400 plus years ago) The men he matched are seem to be coming from the Ukraine and Moscow, but it's so far back I don't know if it helps.

                Thanks again.