Jerabek/Koukalik Family

  • Marianne Garrett
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
      I am searching for information on the Jerabek and Koukalik families. My father was born in the United States, so I know a lot of his brothers and sisters and their history. My paternal grandfather Anton (Anthony) Jerabek was born in Czechoslovakia in about 1974. My paternal grandmother Mary Koukalik was born in Illinois in about 1878 where she married Anton Jerabek. Her parents were possibly Charles Koukalik and Evzenije Svatos both born in Czechoslovakia. That is as far back as I have been able to trace the Jerabek and Koukalik names. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

      Marianne (Jerabek) Garrett

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
        >>> My paternal grandfather Anton (Anthony) Jerabek was born in Czechoslovakia in about 1974. My paternal grandmother Mary Koukalik was born in Illinois in about 1878 where she married Anton Jerabek. Her parents were possibly Charles Koukalik and Evzenije Svatos both born in Czechoslovakia. <<<

        When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion.

        ps: Czechoslovakia did not exist before 1918.
      • Marianne Garrett
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
          Thank you.
          I should have specified Bohemia, somewhere near Prague, and that is all the information I am sure of. They were Roman Catholic. My father used to tell a story that they left the Catholic Church after a priest absconded with the funds. Don't know what they became at that point.

          Marianne

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
            >>> I should have specified Bohemia, somewhere near Prague, and that is all the information I am sure of. They were Roman Catholic. <<<

            ELLIS ISLAND LISTINGS
            I use the Morse front end, Gold Form, for researching Ellis Island entries. http://www.stevemorse.org/

            You can use just a few letters for the name or village and check off several language choices, eg: Hungarian, Slovak, Ruthenian. Be aware that transcription errors abound and so you should always look at the manifest, which often has two pages.
          • Marianne Garrett
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
              Thank you. I will give it a try, as it looks very useful.

              Marianne

              >>> I should have specified Bohemia, somewhere near Prague, and that is all the information I am sure of. They were Roman Catholic. <<<

              ELLIS ISLAND LISTINGS
              I use the Morse front end, Gold Form, for researching Ellis Island entries. http://www.stevemorse.org/

              You can use just a few letters for the name or village and check off several language choices, eg: Hungarian, Slovak, Ruthenian. Be aware that transcription errors abound and so you should always look at the manifest, which often has two pages.

            • Vladimir Linder
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
                Hi everyone I am in Slovakia now. If you need any research video or photography or anything I am aviable.

                email me: vlinder49@...

                Vladi

              • William F Brna

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
                    RIGHT ON, YES I AM AVAILABLE if you have the money and care to spend it as I do NOT WORK FOR FREE.

                    I had a great day in Vienna today, just walking the old cenrer of town and had a lunch at FIGELMULLER and ice cream at ZANONIS the greatest Ice Cream. Went to Shonbrun palace as well.
                    I had seen CARMEN at Slovak National Theater already and Collegium Musicum concert. Tuesday I will see Madame Buterfly, wednesday I will be in Vienna again in Hofburg palace visiting Emperess SISI apartments and Silver collection, thursday in PIESTANY seeing LUCNICA's 60 YEARS OF BEAUTY, SATURDAY PREMIERE OF ANNA KARENINA IN BRATISLAVA, Monday June 15, I will be taking pictures in Slovak National Theater during PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATION of Ivan Gasparovic and the in the evening I do have an invitation already to the GRAND PRESIDENTIAL RECEPTION.

                    Just few things to mention. More to come.

                    Vladi

                    > On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 05:31:54 +0200 Vladimir Linder
                    > <vlinder49@...>writes:
                    >

                    > Hi everyone I am in Slovakia now. If you need any research video or
                    > photography or anything I am aviable.
                    >
                    > email me: vlinder49@...
                    >
                    > Vladi

                  • Tom Geiss
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
                      Vladi, I see you're having a ball in Bratislava, with all the celebrities.
                      Now, I Tom Geiss, have contracted with you to get me photos of gravesites, and the remains of the old homestead in BREZOVICA NAD TORYSOU.
                      If , in driving there, you happen to pass through Spisske Podhradie, ONLY IF IT'S NOT OUT OF THE WAY, there is a pew somewhere in Spis Capitula that I saw in a picture book of Spissky Hrad. This particular pew has a carving of THE HOLY FAMILY TRAVELING ON A DONKEY. Could you possibly make one of these 48 photos of this particular pew.
                      WHICH I WOULD ENLARGE TO FRAME AND HANG ON MY WALLS. (Maybe they don't let tourists photograph this??)
                      As I say, if this is an added inconvenience, then forget it. Brezovica photos are of first importance.
                      I have a friend , who lives over there , who said she would call you when you are over there, presumably to help you find things in Brezovica, if she's still alive. She's 83, and seems to be slipping badly.
                      I hope you have good weather. Tom

                      > On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 05:31:54 +0200 Vladimir Linder
                      > <vlinder49@...>writes:
                      >

                      > Hi everyone I am in Slovakia now. If you need any research video or
                      > photography or anything I am aviable.
                      >
                      > email me: vlinder49@...
                      >
                      > Vladi

                    • Vladimir Linder
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 8, 2009
                        My friend Mons. Jan Zentko general VICAR of Spis Chapter who always gave me all the permissions to photograph all churches in the Spis diocese has passed away this spring.
                        I know Bishop Tondra as well and I will get new permits and will photograph the whole church with my NIKON D300 digital camera and I will give you the picture on the CD, no problem

                        Vladi

                        I have Slovak Syndiccate of jJournalists press pass and IFJ International Federation of Journalists press pass as well and it opens all the right doors for me.

                      • Mtnesters2@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 8, 2009
                          Valdi,

                          What do you charge to do research or take photos?

                          Monica Wilke
                          fingertips.

                        • Tom Geiss
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 8, 2009
                            Thanks loads, Vladi. I will truly enjoy it.
                            Tom