Kanyak ancestral village

  • Theresa
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2009
      Hello,

      Recently I obtained a document which states my great-grandmother's (KANYAK) village, but I am having difficulty placing the current locale. I don't have the megye (county) for it, but I am supposing it is Zemplen. This is the name I have: Oros Walya.

      Could it be that it is Orosz-Volya in Zemplen megye? I located that name in the 1828 Hungarian Census listing of villages. How can I find the current village name in Slovakia?

      Thanks,

      Theresa Spittal
      searching Yankanich-Lemich-Kanyak-Klem surnames
    • smontko@buckeye-express.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2009
        Hi Theresa

        From Nazvy Obci Slovenskej Republicky

        Ruska Vola vt/pv saris/zemplin. po 1882 prcl. o. fias (Zemplin)
        1773 orosz-volya, volya, wolya, 1786 orosz-wolya, 1808 orosz-volya, ruska wola (cum fias), 1863-1902 oroszvolya, 1907-1913 kisszabados, 1920 ruska vola
        Fias: 1773, 1863 fias, 1786 fiasch, 1877-1882 volyafias

        ruska vola nad popradom sl/pv saris
        1773 orosz-volya, ruska wolya, 1786 orosz-wolya, 1808 orosz-also-volya et orosz-felso-volya, ruska wola, 1863-1902 oroszvola, 1907-1913 popradokros, 1920 ruska vola, (Ruska) volova, 1927-1960 ruska vola, 1960- ruska vola na popradom.

        ruska volova sv/pv zemplin
        1773 orosz-volova, oros wolowe, 1786 orosz-wolowa, 1808 orosz-volova, ruske wolowe, 1863-1902, 1939-1945 oroszvolova, 1907-1913 barkochaza, 1920-1939, 1945- ruxka volova

        So maybe you have 3 possibilities two of which are the zemplin area.

        so another clue may be to look at www.cisarik.com for the frequency of your surnames in the villages.

        Sam

        Message 3 of 3 , May 29, 2009
          Polly and Sam,

          Thanks for the help! I found it. Ruska Vola SW of Stropkov is definite; on a map it is just across the hills from my great grandfather's village of Nizna Olsava.

          Cisarik source does have surname Kanuk placed in Ruska Vola!

          ALSO...I found KANUK on page 49 of the 'brown pages' tree with the surname KELLO!!!

          KANUK, Vasil
          KANUKOVA, Helena
          KANUKOVA, Maria 1879
          KELLŐ, rev.Mikuláš