Kulfan Search

  • dotdonahoo
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2009
      I am trying to locate a birth record for Samuel Kulfan who was born in Mosovce, SK. and whose wife was Zuzana Horvatova (1851-1906 of German descent) and had 13 children born from 1875-1896. Two of their children, Adalbert and Therezia, came to the USA and married, and between them had 8 children, 3 of whom are still living and I am in contact with them. Adalbert and Therezia were supposedly first cousins to my grandfather, Jan Rosko (born 6/1869 in Mosovce). Adalbert settled in N.Y. and Therezia in N.J. and I remember them well. I have gone thru the Mosovce Evangelical church records thru LDS (the family has been Lutheran as far back as 1700's) and cannot find a record of Samuel's birth and so I do not know the names of his parents. I am hoping their names will help me link our two families.

      Peter Nagy informed me that Samuel's granddaughter, Slovak writer Margita Niznanska, mentioned her grandparents, her mother, and Uncle Adalbert and Aunt Therezia in a bio in her last book. From what I have been able to piece together, at some time Samuel moved to the Horna Stubna area and eventually became a tannery owner and manufacturer of shingles.

      A fellow researcher in Ivanchina researched the archives and was able to send me the names and dates of birth of the 13 children and also a photo of the gravestone of Zuzana Horvatova Kulfan. She is buried in a cemetery in Horna Stubna.

      I have been able to locate 2 addresses for Margita Niznanska (one in Bratislava and another in Turcianske Teplice) and have written to her at both addresses, in English and in Slovk, but have not had a reply. Her publisher tells me she has not heard from Margita in several years and that she would now be in her mid 80's and it is questionable whether she is still alive. Obviously, I want to contact her or someone in her family in the hope that someone can assist me in making a link of her family and my grandfather.

      I have sent 19 inquiries to villge registrars, cemeteries, churches, etc. but the only reply was from her publisher. Any suggestions as to where I might go from here will be sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

      Dorothy
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 3 , May 25, 2009
        >>> I am trying to locate a birth record for Samuel Kulfan who was born in Mosovce, SK. and whose wife was Zuzana Horvatova (1851-1906 of German descent) <<<

        Have you researched the 1869 Hungarian Census for Mosovce?

        Mosócz (Mošovce) Film #2185169 Item 3

        It should name the place of birth. Perhaps not born in Mosovce.

        BTW, I have the same problem with my ADAM research in that I can't locate the birth records of some individuals.

        I hope the census sheds some light.
      • pat
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2009
          Samuel Kulfan wasn't on the 1869 Census for Mosovce, nor were any of his
          family. I have over 100 Kuzma and Rosko family members who were from
          Mosovce and alive in 1869 and I didn't find one of them on the census.

          Thanks for your suggestion. I'll keep trying.

          Dot