Jankanic in Nižná Olšava (formerly Also Olysva)

  • Theresa
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2009
      I am new to this group and am beginning research for my great grandparents home village of Nižná Olšava, District Stropkov, Region Presov, Slovak Republic.

      Jan Jankanic arrived in the US in 1901. I am uncertain where he initially settled, but he did spend some time in Drifton, PA. Anna Kanyak traveled twice to the US; once to visit her sister in Hazleton, PA in 1897, then again in 1903 as Anna Jankinias (listed as 'single' traveling with 2- and 4-year-old boys?) to join Jan Jankanic in Drifton, PA.

      The surname has been changed several times in the branches of the American tree as Yankanich, Yonconish, Yanconish, and Jankanich. I know of immediate family to 1st/2nd cousins, etc. settling in White Haven, Wilkes-Barre, Hazleton, Scranton, and Philadelphia, PA, Sacramento, CA, and Tacoma, WA.

      As I am searching on internet sources regarding Slovakia, I am finding that the Jankanic surname is quite specific to the Stropkov region, which I deduce means that this is not a very common name and I am hopeful to find out more information because of this point. On the other hand this research is new to me, and I would value any information you might have on this surname and on this village. I look forward to associated discussions!

      Researching Slovak names: JANKANIC (aka YANKANICH, JANKANICH, YONKONICH, YANCONISH), KANYAK