Slovak cemeteries site.

  • Will
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2009
      Hey...

      Perhaps youse guys are already familiar with this, but I just stumbled upon an interesting site, and thought I'd share it: http://www.cemeterysk.sk

      It's got maps and photos from cemeteries across Slovakia, each with a number and name (or, too often, "Neznámy") and sometimes a bit of basic info from the gravestone (death date, maiden name). You can search for names in each cemetery, or you can browse the entire graveyard on the map. It's kind of a drag to navigate, but fascinating. Anyways, enjoy.

      ---Will
    • maxine
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2009
        Hi, thanks for the site info, greatly appreciated. However, since it is in Slovak, could you explain what to put in the boxes and drag, etc so we can do it. thanks maxine sasala

        It's got maps and photos from cemeteries across Slovakia, each with a number and name (or, too often, "Neznámy") and sometimes a bit of basic info from the gravestone (death date, maiden name). You can search for names in each cemetery, or you can browse the entire graveyard on the map. It's kind of a drag to navigate, but fascinating. Anyways, enjoy.

        ---Will

      • Julie & Kevin
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2009
          Hi Maxine,
          Look at the top , click on the British flag & it turns to English
          Julie B in NC

          Message 4 of 5 , May 10, 2009
            Hi, Maxine...

            Ah, you can view it in English by clicking the flag in the upper-left corner. The translations aren't always the best, but...Once you select your cemetery, click on the "Search (personal data)" button on the left. Three search boxes will appear, all rather oddly translated: "Sector (if exist)" is *surname*. "Pedestrian (if exist)" is *given name*. And "Row (if exist)" is *date of death*. Yeah, no idea.

            Another thing about the search: It's semi-picky about spelling. You can substitute "Z" for "Ž", or "A" for "Á", no problems. But if you're looking for, say, a Kovaè, you *have* to use that "È". "Kovac" will likely get you nothing. Same goes for "Š". But what works better is just typing "Kova", and everything that starts with "Kova" will show up: Kovaè, Kovaèov, Kovacs, etc.

            Another search tip: I don't see a way to view a list everyone in the graveyard, to check for surnames, etc. But I find that doing a given name search on common names like "Maria", "Anna", "Jan", etc., will give you a nice long list.

            As for the map, I can't get that to work from the main page, for some reason. But once you do a search, get some results, and click on a person's name, you'll be taken to the deceased's info. There, you can click on "Zobraz na mape", and the map should pop up just fine. Once it does, you can zoom in, and move your cursor over each grave to get a name and photo. Pretty cool.

            ---Will

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

            > Hi, thanks for the site info, greatly appreciated. However, since it is in Slovak, could you explain what to put in the boxes and drag, etc so we can do it. thanks maxine sasala

          • Julie Michutka
            Message 5 of 5 , May 10, 2009
              Thanks Will! Definitely an interesting site; I don't think anyone's
              mentioned it before. I was able to pull up one grave, photo and map
              location and all; but it was one I'd already visited and photographed
              several years ago. Still, I'll revisit the site periodically, in case
              they're continuing to add to it.

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...