Re: [S-R] Sur Name FEDORIS/FEDORISHIN/FEDORISKY and KEREKES

  • Pamela Albicocco
    Message 1 of 13 , May 4, 2009
      Michael,
      Thank you so much for this information. Would belonging to Ancestry.com
      enable me to search the Philadelphia passenger lists? Thanks again for your
      help.
      Pamela
      On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

      > Pamela,
      > I searched the 1995 Census for the five surnames you listed. The only one
      > that had any hits was Kerekes. There were 100 with no dialect marks and 317
      > with a dialect mark over the 's'. I also tried Megaston and got no hits. The
      > majority of the Kerekes listed lived in Kosice and Roznava Counties. Those
      > are in far eastern Slovakia.
      > There were some alternatives given for your four Fedoris surnames; Fedor -
      > 1624 listings, Fedors - 39 listings, Fedorik - 29 listings and Fedoras - 20
      > listings.
      > In order to search the Philadelphia passenger list you have to belong to a
      > pay site. It may be worthwhile for you to do so.

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 13 , May 4, 2009
        Pamela,
        Here is a link for Philadelphia records. They do mention Ancestry.com - http://www.genesearch.com/philadelphia/
        Since you listed all those Fedor based surnames and I found no listing for any of them in the 1995 Census it would appear there was a change made to the surname in America. So when you go searching you should search under all possible forms of the surname.
        This is where it becomes very important that you know the ancestral village. It may be your only clue to the correct person in the records for Philadelphia. Since you are not sure under which surname they arrived. From experience I have found that birthdates are often wrong. First of all people didn't keep calendars as we do back in the 1800's. In Slovakia your "Name Day" is celebrated, not your birthday. So knowing your birthday was not that important. Not only have I found the days wrong, but also the year. Which could have been off by several years. So keep in mind the birthday is not necessarily precise. Only when you see the original records will you know it for sure.
        Ancestry.com often offers a week or two free trial period. Sign up for one of those and see if you can find what you need. If you need longer it is often best to go with the minimum. Ancestry.com has not been the best source for Eastern European records.

      • PHILBAER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 4, 2009
          Pamela,

          I searched Ancestry.com for your ancestors named in your original email. I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. I have not found the immigration record for Fedoris. I think variant spelling of that surname may be hiding the records. FYI - the Hamburg Passenger List also has Anna Kerekes. Joining Ancestry.com is an option you have available. If you will be doing much more searches up to about 1930 (census records) or up to date for SS listings, you may want to join.

          Philip Baer

          Thank you so much for this information. Would belonging to Ancestry.com
          enable me to search the Philadelphia passenger lists? Thanks again for your
          help.
          Pamela
          On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

          > Pamela,
          > I searched the 1995 Census for the five surnames you listed. The only one
          > that had any hits was Kerekes. There were 100 with no dialect marks and 317
          > with a dialect mark over the 's'. I also tried Megaston and got no hits. The
          > majority of the Kerekes listed lived in Kosice and Roznava Counties. Those
          > are in far eastern Slovakia.
          > There were some alternatives given for your four Fedoris surnames; Fedor -
          > 1624 listings, Fedors - 39 listings, Fedorik - 29 listings and Fedoras - 20
          > listings.
          > In order to search the Philadelphia passenger list you have to belong to a
          > pay site. It may be worthwhile for you to do so.

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 13 , May 5, 2009
            >>> I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. <<<

            What was the birth village?
          • travel2001@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 5, 2009
              Just for kicks, you may want to check the death records for an "Andrew Kerekes" in the State of Michigan. There were some "Kerekes" that moved from eastern PA to the Detroit area because jobs were available. In addition, there were some related members that moved to Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
              George

              >>> I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. <<<

              What was the birth village?

            • Jody Gonda
              Message 6 of 13 , May 5, 2009
                And don't forget to look at the Family Search Labs site, there are several Kerekes there.

                lhttp://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1203983263666#start

                Jody

                Just for kicks, you may want to check the death records for an "Andrew Kerekes" in the State of Michigan. There were some "Kerekes" that moved from eastern PA to the Detroit area because jobs were available. In addition, there were some related members that moved to Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
                George

                >>> I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. <<<

                What was the birth village?

              • Rick Mayernik
                Message 7 of 13 , May 5, 2009
                  May not mean alot, but a KERKES family lives in my community in Montana.

                  Rick

                  And don't forget to look at the Family Search Labs site, there are several Kerekes there.

                  lhttp://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1203983263666#start

                  Jody

                  Just for kicks, you may want to check the death records for an "Andrew Kerekes" in the State of Michigan. There were some "Kerekes" that moved from eastern PA to the Detroit area because jobs were available. In addition, there were some related members that moved to Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
                  George

                  >>> I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. <<<

                  What was the birth village?

                • Edie Sando
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 5, 2009
                    I think you can search Philadelphia passenger lists on the Ellis Island website, also. I may be wrong,
                    edie