RE: [S-R] George Tkach and Micheal Tkach, Tkacs

    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2009
      A small amplification:
      Nagydomasa is still called Velka Domasa today. It lands and records are
      contained as a sub-administrative districtof Holcikovce. I believe Velka
      Domasa was flooded to create the reservoir. It's important to note this
      distinction when looking for historical records.

      The FHL indeed calls out church books for Velka Domasa contained on two
      microfilms in it's holdings. I would urge Deb to look at these.

      Regards,
      Bill

      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2009
        Bill,
        "The Domasa Dam Lake was built by blocking the Ondava river course at the village of Velká Domasa.", from Wikipedia / Velka Domasa.
        It may well be that the village was destroyed to build the dam, not just flooded out.

      • dulli862@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4, 2009
          I have a Tracx in my family from the Zbaraz district of Poland. Could
          this be of any use?

          Basia G

          In a message dated 5/3/2009 6:27:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          mgmojher@... writes:

          Deb,
          I went to the 1995 Census program to look for the surname Tkac and Tkacs.
          There were no listings for Tkacs. There were two forms for Tkac. One with a
          "v" dialect mark over the "c" had 65 hits. The other with dialect mark
          over the "a" and "c" had 2348 hits. Making it a somewhat common surname for
          Slovakia. Most of the places where the name is found is in Eastern Slovakia.

          Hungary, Nagydomása,Sacurov, Zemplén or Zemplinska

          George born 25 May 1884

          Catholic religion

          **************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
          (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000006)

        • The West's
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2009
            This one is not the correct man.

            Deb West

            Ellis Island find: Georg Tkacs arrived in 1907 at age 17, born 1890. Birth years off. Came from Nagydonissa, Hungary where in mother, Maria Tkacs was. He was heading for McKiesport, PA to his uncle, Ivan Zajisra (don't know if this spelling is correct).