RE: [S-R] George Tkach and Micheal Tkach, Tkacs

    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2009
      There are two different villages in your text below. Please cite the source
      what they refer to (place of birth, etc.) in order to continue this
      research.

      Nagydomasa, former Zemplin county, Sztropkoi district, in former Hungary is
      now present day VELKA DOMASA, SLOVAKIA
      SZACSUR, former former Zemplin county, Varannoi district, in former Hungary
      is now present day SACUROV, SLOVAKIA

      Both villages were in different administrative districts in Slovakia,
      however, please check a map, such as mapy.atlas.sk to see if they are near
      each other. This could help a lot.

      Happy Hunting,

      Bill

      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2009
        A small amplification:
        Nagydomasa is still called Velka Domasa today. It lands and records are
        contained as a sub-administrative districtof Holcikovce. I believe Velka
        Domasa was flooded to create the reservoir. It's important to note this
        distinction when looking for historical records.

        The FHL indeed calls out church books for Velka Domasa contained on two
        microfilms in it's holdings. I would urge Deb to look at these.

        Regards,
        Bill

        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2009
          Bill,
          "The Domasa Dam Lake was built by blocking the Ondava river course at the village of Velká Domasa.", from Wikipedia / Velka Domasa.
          It may well be that the village was destroyed to build the dam, not just flooded out.

        • dulli862@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2009
            I have a Tracx in my family from the Zbaraz district of Poland. Could
            this be of any use?

            Basia G

            In a message dated 5/3/2009 6:27:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            mgmojher@... writes:

            Deb,
            I went to the 1995 Census program to look for the surname Tkac and Tkacs.
            There were no listings for Tkacs. There were two forms for Tkac. One with a
            "v" dialect mark over the "c" had 65 hits. The other with dialect mark
            over the "a" and "c" had 2348 hits. Making it a somewhat common surname for
            Slovakia. Most of the places where the name is found is in Eastern Slovakia.

            Hungary, Nagydomása,Sacurov, Zemplén or Zemplinska

            George born 25 May 1884

            Catholic religion

            **************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
            (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000006)

          • The West's
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4, 2009
              This one is not the correct man.

              Deb West

              Ellis Island find: Georg Tkacs arrived in 1907 at age 17, born 1890. Birth years off. Came from Nagydonissa, Hungary where in mother, Maria Tkacs was. He was heading for McKiesport, PA to his uncle, Ivan Zajisra (don't know if this spelling is correct).