Re: Sur Name FEDORIS/FEDORISHIN/FEDORISKY and KEREKES

  • genmom4
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2009
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "dovetail9" <Pamela.Albicocco@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello - I'm new to this. I'm trying very hard to find my Dad's family.
      > know his father, Andrew FEDORIS (or FEDORISHIN or FEDORISKY or
      > FIDORISKY) emigrated from the Bratislava area around 1906 and his
      > mother, Anna KEREKES emigrated from, I think, Megaston Hungary (I
      don't
      > even know if Megaston exists). She came over around 1910. They both
      came
      > over through Philadelphia and settled in the Poconos.
      We need some more info here. How old were they when they came over? Do
      you think that they knew each other prior to immigrating?
      The Poconos covers a huge area of PA. Can you give more specifics of
      exactly they set up residence?
      If you know where they lived, you should be able to find them on the
      1920 and 1930 censuses. That might shed some light.
      If Andrew naturalized, you should be able to find his naturalization
      papers.
      He should be listed in the WWI draft. His name would be on a draft
      card, which would list where he came from.
      Give some more specifics, and there is a strong possibility that we can
      help work you backwards a bit further.
      Also, do you know where they were married? In Philadelphia or in "the
      Poconos"?
      I don't know where you live, but if you live in PA, you can access
      Ancestry Library edition at your local library, and you should be able
      to find the Philadephia Manifestst that way.

      > They both died around 1933, before Social Security, so I don't have
      that
      > much information. I know that they both had brothers and sisters.
      Andrew
      > FEDORIS was Greek Byzatinne Catholic, Rite. His fathers name was
      Peter,
      > and his brothers name was John. Anna KEREKES, I believe was Roman
      > Catholic. Her fathers name may have been Janos.
      >
      > That is all I know. Any information you can provide will be SO
      > appreciated. I'm just so happy I found this link. My Dad is the last
      of
      > his 11 brothers and sisters. They were all orphaned in 1933, and
      > amazingly stayed in touch. I have a lot of cousins to report back to.
      >
      > Thanks again for any help!!
      >
      > Pamela Albicocco

      Barbara

      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2009
        Hi Pamela and welcome.

        Excellent questions from Barbara. I'll continue the inquisition!

        1. Your village names are clearly misspelled (they don't conform to spelling
        of the day). Where and how did you get that spelling. I'd suggest
        something that starts with "MEGYE" I Have a complete cross reference of
        Hungary names, but I won't offer any possibilities until we have more info.

        2. It's going to take more gumshoe to figure out if they met here or there.
        Please make a chronological chart of their life, including at marriage year
        and years of their offspring years. First, most children were born within 9
        months (often sooner if they came from poor villages) of marriage. Your
        chart will have many blanks, so not any assumptions and date ranges if facts
        are not authoritative.

        3. Have you searched for these people on ellisisland.org? Search for the
        wife under both maiden and married names, that may have give clarity to the
        chart. 1910 was a good year for manifest info. Remember, your years
        (immigration, birth, etc.) may definitely be in error, so seek ranges. This
        will tell you their age at immigration. To travel without parents you were
        usually 16 or older. You often traveled without papers or with improper
        papers.

        4. Bratislava did not have many Greek Catholics - it was predominantly an
        east Slovakia religion, but I'll never say never; just not probable.
        Remember, you are just collecting facts. Please do not rush to conclusions
        yet.

        5. With a lot of cousins, you should be demanding a lot of info from them.
        Do the offspring birth documents exist? Are you near their church. The
        Church baptismal/christening docs often contain the village of your
        immigrants.

        6. What language did they speak. What ethnicity did they self-identify as?
        You may get very different answer than what you think!

        That's all for now. Collect all these info and report back to us, then we
        can have another go at this.

        Regards,
        Bill Tarkulich

        > Hello - I'm new to this. I'm trying very hard to find my Dad's family.
        > know his father, Andrew FEDORIS (or FEDORISHIN or FEDORISKY or
        > FIDORISKY) emigrated from the Bratislava area around 1906 and his
        > mother, Anna KEREKES emigrated from, I think, Megaston Hungary (I
        don't
        > even know if Megaston exists). She came over around 1910. They both
        came
        > over through Philadelphia and settled in the Poconos.
        We need some more info here. How old were they when they came over? Do
        you think that they knew each other prior to immigrating?
        The Poconos covers a huge area of PA. Can you give more specifics of
        exactly they set up residence?
        If you know where they lived, you should be able to find them on the
        1920 and 1930 censuses. That might shed some light.
        If Andrew naturalized, you should be able to find his naturalization
        papers.
        He should be listed in the WWI draft. His name would be on a draft
        card, which would list where he came from.
        Give some more specifics, and there is a strong possibility that we can
        help work you backwards a bit further.
        Also, do you know where they were married? In Philadelphia or in "the
        Poconos"?
        I don't know where you live, but if you live in PA, you can access
        Ancestry Library edition at your local library, and you should be able
        to find the Philadephia Manifestst that way.

        > They both died around 1933, before Social Security, so I don't have
        that
        > much information. I know that they both had brothers and sisters.
        Andrew
        > FEDORIS was Greek Byzatinne Catholic, Rite. His fathers name was
        Peter,
        > and his brothers name was John. Anna KEREKES, I believe was Roman
        > Catholic. Her fathers name may have been Janos.
        >
        > That is all I know. Any information you can provide will be SO
        > appreciated. I'm just so happy I found this link. My Dad is the last
        of
        > his 11 brothers and sisters. They were all orphaned in 1933, and
        > amazingly stayed in touch. I have a lot of cousins to report back to.
        >
        > Thanks again for any help!!
        >
        > Pamela Albicocco

        Barbara

      • Pamela Albicocco
        Message 3 of 13 , May 4, 2009
          Michael,
          Thank you so much for this information. Would belonging to Ancestry.com
          enable me to search the Philadelphia passenger lists? Thanks again for your
          help.
          Pamela
          On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

          > Pamela,
          > I searched the 1995 Census for the five surnames you listed. The only one
          > that had any hits was Kerekes. There were 100 with no dialect marks and 317
          > with a dialect mark over the 's'. I also tried Megaston and got no hits. The
          > majority of the Kerekes listed lived in Kosice and Roznava Counties. Those
          > are in far eastern Slovakia.
          > There were some alternatives given for your four Fedoris surnames; Fedor -
          > 1624 listings, Fedors - 39 listings, Fedorik - 29 listings and Fedoras - 20
          > listings.
          > In order to search the Philadelphia passenger list you have to belong to a
          > pay site. It may be worthwhile for you to do so.

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 13 , May 4, 2009
            Pamela,
            Here is a link for Philadelphia records. They do mention Ancestry.com - http://www.genesearch.com/philadelphia/
            Since you listed all those Fedor based surnames and I found no listing for any of them in the 1995 Census it would appear there was a change made to the surname in America. So when you go searching you should search under all possible forms of the surname.
            This is where it becomes very important that you know the ancestral village. It may be your only clue to the correct person in the records for Philadelphia. Since you are not sure under which surname they arrived. From experience I have found that birthdates are often wrong. First of all people didn't keep calendars as we do back in the 1800's. In Slovakia your "Name Day" is celebrated, not your birthday. So knowing your birthday was not that important. Not only have I found the days wrong, but also the year. Which could have been off by several years. So keep in mind the birthday is not necessarily precise. Only when you see the original records will you know it for sure.
            Ancestry.com often offers a week or two free trial period. Sign up for one of those and see if you can find what you need. If you need longer it is often best to go with the minimum. Ancestry.com has not been the best source for Eastern European records.

          • PHILBAER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 4, 2009
              Pamela,

              I searched Ancestry.com for your ancestors named in your original email. I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. I have not found the immigration record for Fedoris. I think variant spelling of that surname may be hiding the records. FYI - the Hamburg Passenger List also has Anna Kerekes. Joining Ancestry.com is an option you have available. If you will be doing much more searches up to about 1930 (census records) or up to date for SS listings, you may want to join.

              Philip Baer

              Thank you so much for this information. Would belonging to Ancestry.com
              enable me to search the Philadelphia passenger lists? Thanks again for your
              help.
              Pamela
              On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

              > Pamela,
              > I searched the 1995 Census for the five surnames you listed. The only one
              > that had any hits was Kerekes. There were 100 with no dialect marks and 317
              > with a dialect mark over the 's'. I also tried Megaston and got no hits. The
              > majority of the Kerekes listed lived in Kosice and Roznava Counties. Those
              > are in far eastern Slovakia.
              > There were some alternatives given for your four Fedoris surnames; Fedor -
              > 1624 listings, Fedors - 39 listings, Fedorik - 29 listings and Fedoras - 20
              > listings.
              > In order to search the Philadelphia passenger list you have to belong to a
              > pay site. It may be worthwhile for you to do so.

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 13 , May 5, 2009
                >>> I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. <<<

                What was the birth village?
              • travel2001@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 5, 2009
                  Just for kicks, you may want to check the death records for an "Andrew Kerekes" in the State of Michigan. There were some "Kerekes" that moved from eastern PA to the Detroit area because jobs were available. In addition, there were some related members that moved to Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
                  George

                  >>> I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. <<<

                  What was the birth village?

                • Jody Gonda
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 5, 2009
                    And don't forget to look at the Family Search Labs site, there are several Kerekes there.

                    lhttp://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1203983263666#start

                    Jody

                    Just for kicks, you may want to check the death records for an "Andrew Kerekes" in the State of Michigan. There were some "Kerekes" that moved from eastern PA to the Detroit area because jobs were available. In addition, there were some related members that moved to Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
                    George

                    >>> I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. <<<

                    What was the birth village?

                  • Rick Mayernik
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 5, 2009
                      May not mean alot, but a KERKES family lives in my community in Montana.

                      Rick

                      And don't forget to look at the Family Search Labs site, there are several Kerekes there.

                      lhttp://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1203983263666#start

                      Jody

                      Just for kicks, you may want to check the death records for an "Andrew Kerekes" in the State of Michigan. There were some "Kerekes" that moved from eastern PA to the Detroit area because jobs were available. In addition, there were some related members that moved to Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
                      George

                      >>> I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. <<<

                      What was the birth village?

                    • Edie Sando
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 5, 2009
                        I think you can search Philadelphia passenger lists on the Ellis Island website, also. I may be wrong,
                        edie