Re: [S-R] George Tkach and Micheal Tkach, Tkacs

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3 3:26 PM
      Deb,
      I went to the 1995 Census program to look for the surname Tkac and Tkacs. There were no listings for Tkacs. There were two forms for Tkac. One with a "v" dialect mark over the "c" had 65 hits. The other with dialect mark over the "a" and "c" had 2348 hits. Making it a somewhat common surname for Slovakia. Most of the places where the name is found is in Eastern Slovakia.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 3 5:44 PM
        There are two different villages in your text below. Please cite the source
        what they refer to (place of birth, etc.) in order to continue this
        research.

        Nagydomasa, former Zemplin county, Sztropkoi district, in former Hungary is
        now present day VELKA DOMASA, SLOVAKIA
        SZACSUR, former former Zemplin county, Varannoi district, in former Hungary
        is now present day SACUROV, SLOVAKIA

        Both villages were in different administrative districts in Slovakia,
        however, please check a map, such as mapy.atlas.sk to see if they are near
        each other. This could help a lot.

        Happy Hunting,

        Bill

        Message 3 of 10 , May 3 5:56 PM
          A small amplification:
          Nagydomasa is still called Velka Domasa today. It lands and records are
          contained as a sub-administrative districtof Holcikovce. I believe Velka
          Domasa was flooded to create the reservoir. It's important to note this
          distinction when looking for historical records.

          The FHL indeed calls out church books for Velka Domasa contained on two
          microfilms in it's holdings. I would urge Deb to look at these.

          Regards,
          Bill

          Message 4 of 10 , May 3 6:55 PM
            Bill,
            "The Domasa Dam Lake was built by blocking the Ondava river course at the village of Velká Domasa.", from Wikipedia / Velka Domasa.
            It may well be that the village was destroyed to build the dam, not just flooded out.

          • dulli862@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4 8:19 AM
              I have a Tracx in my family from the Zbaraz district of Poland. Could
              this be of any use?

              Basia G

              In a message dated 5/3/2009 6:27:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              mgmojher@... writes:

              Deb,
              I went to the 1995 Census program to look for the surname Tkac and Tkacs.
              There were no listings for Tkacs. There were two forms for Tkac. One with a
              "v" dialect mark over the "c" had 65 hits. The other with dialect mark
              over the "a" and "c" had 2348 hits. Making it a somewhat common surname for
              Slovakia. Most of the places where the name is found is in Eastern Slovakia.

              Hungary, Nagydomása,Sacurov, Zemplén or Zemplinska

              George born 25 May 1884

              Catholic religion

              **************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
              (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000006)

            • The West's
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4 1:49 PM
                This one is not the correct man.

                Deb West

                Ellis Island find: Georg Tkacs arrived in 1907 at age 17, born 1890. Birth years off. Came from Nagydonissa, Hungary where in mother, Maria Tkacs was. He was heading for McKiesport, PA to his uncle, Ivan Zajisra (don't know if this spelling is correct).