Re: [S-R] Searching for information on my ggm Mary Matko

  • gjederman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2009
      Thanks for sharing the info. I'm going back through my notes to see if there are any dots to connect. A few years ago, when I was focusing on my ggfs name Mehal (Mihal, Mehalik, Mehalko, Mahal...) I received some information stating that he may have been from Hazlin, in NE Slovakia. I'll check a map to see where that is in relation to Bardejou. G

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michele Baker" <mbaker4@...> wrote:

      > Hi v/r G,
      >

      > My ggm's name was Mary Matcko. There is nothing to indicate she is related
      > to your ggm, at least not in the U.S. I have yet to track her relatives in
      > the states or her village but here's some information that may proof helpful
      > in your search.
      >

      > What I know .
      >

      > -- b. 1865; birth locations shown as Austria and Poland,
      >
      > -- married George Sopchak/Sopcak, m. date and location unk,
      >
      > -- George's baptismal certificate shows b. 1865, Jastrabie nad Tonplou,
      > Slovakia (near Hlinne),
      >
      > -- found no arrival record for Mary or her spouse,
      >
      > -- family was supposed to have made return trip to homeland when first child
      > (my gr-m) was young child; have found no record of this trip,
      >
      > -- my gr-m said her younger brother died at sea during this trip,
      >
      > -- first child stated b.1890; have not found birth certificate, told she was
      > born in NY, but . ???
      >
      > -- second child b. 1898, Bayonne, NJ
      >
      > -- came route -- New Jersey, Wisconsin, Washington State
      >

      > Found various spellings for Mary's last name.
      >

      > -- Masko, Matko, Mathsco, Maczko, (this may be the Slovak spelling; found
      > this spelling common in Bardejov, Slovakia),
      >

      > -- found a posting by researcher with family name of Matsko with ancestral
      > villages around Bardejov area (have had no luck in contacting this indivual)
      >

      > Good luck
      >

      > _____

    • gjederman
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2009
        Bill, Initially I searched the manifests (they're hard on the eyeballs!) for "Mehal" or anything similar, during the year the census says the arrived. Then I started searching for a Mehal with a wife and one child. It will have to be and ongoing effort because the only thing close (man, wife, child) was written in hand writing that I couldn't make out the woman's name - Mary. BTW do you know if Mary is Maria in Slovak? We have no info yet on any return trips to Slovakia. I'm looking into the "border" possibility.

        Was Slovakia predominately Catholic? Thanks. G

        > Welcome to the group "G",
        >
        > MATKO - We need to get the village of origin. Let's consider sources.
        > First reaction is to check the Slovakia Phonebook. What I find however is
        > that surname dispersed throughout the country.
        > Second thought is to look at ellisisland.org. Hmm. Problem with manifests
        > before 1890 is that they are not very detailed. Nothing comes up with that.
        > Next thought is immigration records. Were they ever naturalized?
        > Next, other travel records. Did they ever return?
        > Looking at children's birth records for village of parents. Won't be found
        > on a "certificate" but is often found in the church books. Were all
        > children born in the states?
        >
        > Another possibility is to look in the Slovakia phone books for MEHAL and
        > MATKO, and try to locate both names in one geographic area. Did MEHAL
        > family ever travel back to Europe? Did other family or villagers ever come
        > to visit them or move to the states? Often families had boarders (US
        > Census) and these are often people they knew before. Tracing them often
        > finds clues.
        >
        > Here are even more ideas where to look for the village name:
        > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm
        >
        > What other research sources have you exhausted already?
        >
        > All my resource links mentioned above here here
        > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/toolbox.htm
        > Other pages explain how to use them as can most of the members here.
        >
        > Regards and Good Luck,
        >

        > Bill Tarkulich
        >
        > p.s., with Ellis, be certain to try name variations.

      • Michele Baker
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2009
          This is getting more interesting . Your latest message has another name
          that's of interest to me. George Sopchak's (my Mary Matcko's spouse)
          mother's name was Michal, or at least that is the spelling our family shows.
          Have more information on George provided by a local researcher based in
          Kosice before my visit to the area in 2005. I will see what I can locate.
          I am curious to see what spellings there are for "Michal."

          Michele

          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2009
            Thanks Jean. They are the Mehal's I'm researching. They're not linked, I'll have to contact the library. Or go, I live about four hours away from Broackway. G

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, conserg@... wrote:

            > You might want to go to this web site and see get the obituary(s) of your grandparents
            >
            > http://www.greatlite.com/bahs/ASPD/archiveresults.php
            >
            > Jean

          • gjederman
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2009
              That idea has been a two edged sword in my search because I was often told that Mehal was the anglicized version of Mihal and Michal which were/are very common. Like "Jones" I guess. My ggm Mary died in 1949 in Brockway, PA. Does that connect in any way? G

              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2009
                Not so far. I will contact you off-line if I find anything more.

                _____

                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2009
                  Traditionally "Maria" was the most common baptismal variant in the region.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2009
                    How about the Slovak spelling for the English pronunciation?
                    MIHAL

                    Don Havlicek
                    Edmore, MI