Searching for information on my ggm Mary Matko

  • gjederman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2009
      Hi, this is my first post, I'm new to the group. I joined to see if I can learn more about my family and their Slovak culture. I'm focusing on my ggm, Mary Matko, 1863-1949. She married John Mehal o/a 1881 and they immigrated to the States o/a 1890 (but it could have been earlier depending on which census we're looking at) with one daughter Annie, 1888-1987. They settled in Snyder Township, Jefferson Co, PA. They were Catholic.

      What I don't know:
      -What village she came from. Presumably her husband came from the same or a nearby village.
      -Was her maiden name actually spelled "Matko"

      What I'm almost certain of:
      - Her husband's last name "Mehal" was anglicized o/a the time of immigration. The 1910 census uses the Mehal spelling.

      The reason I'm focusing on Mary Matko is because there seem to be fewer variations of the Matko name spelling. But the pre-immigration spelling possibilities for Mehal are numerous.

      If anyone has any recommendations, similar experiences, or a Matko or Mehal somewhere in their tree it would be great to hear from you. Thanks much. v/r G
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2009
        Welcome to the group "G",

        MATKO - We need to get the village of origin. Let's consider sources.
        First reaction is to check the Slovakia Phonebook. What I find however is
        that surname dispersed throughout the country.
        Second thought is to look at ellisisland.org. Hmm. Problem with manifests
        before 1890 is that they are not very detailed. Nothing comes up with that.
        Next thought is immigration records. Were they ever naturalized?
        Next, other travel records. Did they ever return?
        Looking at children's birth records for village of parents. Won't be found
        on a "certificate" but is often found in the church books. Were all
        children born in the states?

        Another possibility is to look in the Slovakia phone books for MEHAL and
        MATKO, and try to locate both names in one geographic area. Did MEHAL
        family ever travel back to Europe? Did other family or villagers ever come
        to visit them or move to the states? Often families had boarders (US
        Census) and these are often people they knew before. Tracing them often
        finds clues.

        Here are even more ideas where to look for the village name:
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

        What other research sources have you exhausted already?

        All my resource links mentioned above here here
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/toolbox.htm
        Other pages explain how to use them as can most of the members here.

        Regards and Good Luck,

        Bill Tarkulich

        p.s., with Ellis, be certain to try name variations.

        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2009
          You might want to go to this web site and see get the obituary(s) of your grandparents

          http://www.greatlite.com/bahs/ASPD/archiveresults.php

          Jean

          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2009
            Hi v/r G,

            My ggm's name was Mary Matcko. There is nothing to indicate she is related
            to your ggm, at least not in the U.S. I have yet to track her relatives in
            the states or her village but here's some information that may proof helpful
            in your search.

            What I know .

            -- b. 1865; birth locations shown as Austria and Poland,

            -- married George Sopchak/Sopcak, m. date and location unk,

            -- George's baptismal certificate shows b. 1865, Jastrabie nad Tonplou,
            Slovakia (near Hlinne),

            -- found no arrival record for Mary or her spouse,

            -- family was supposed to have made return trip to homeland when first child
            (my gr-m) was young child; have found no record of this trip,

            -- my gr-m said her younger brother died at sea during this trip,

            -- first child stated b.1890; have not found birth certificate, told she was
            born in NY, but . ???

            -- second child b. 1898, Bayonne, NJ

            -- came route -- New Jersey, Wisconsin, Washington State

            Found various spellings for Mary's last name.

            -- Masko, Matko, Mathsco, Maczko, (this may be the Slovak spelling; found
            this spelling common in Bardejov, Slovakia),

            -- found a posting by researcher with family name of Matsko with ancestral
            villages around Bardejov area (have had no luck in contacting this indivual)

            Good luck

            _____

[...]

            nNmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwNjU3MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDA4MzcEbXNnSWQDMjI1N
            zYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjQxMjIyNDIxBHRwY0lkAzIyNTc2> Messages in
            this topic (1)
            k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwNjU3MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDA4MzcEbXNnSWQDMjI1NzYEc2VjA2
            Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMjQxMjIyNDIx?act=reply&messageNum=22576> Reply
            (via web post) |
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkb2RlOGNlBF9TAz
            k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwNjU3MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDA4MzcEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYw
            RzdGltZQMxMjQxMjIyNDIx> Start a new topic

          • gjederman
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2009
              Thanks for sharing the info. I'm going back through my notes to see if there are any dots to connect. A few years ago, when I was focusing on my ggfs name Mehal (Mihal, Mehalik, Mehalko, Mahal...) I received some information stating that he may have been from Hazlin, in NE Slovakia. I'll check a map to see where that is in relation to Bardejou. G

              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2009
                Bill, Initially I searched the manifests (they're hard on the eyeballs!) for "Mehal" or anything similar, during the year the census says the arrived. Then I started searching for a Mehal with a wife and one child. It will have to be and ongoing effort because the only thing close (man, wife, child) was written in hand writing that I couldn't make out the woman's name - Mary. BTW do you know if Mary is Maria in Slovak? We have no info yet on any return trips to Slovakia. I'm looking into the "border" possibility.

                Was Slovakia predominately Catholic? Thanks. G

                > Welcome to the group "G",
                >
                > MATKO - We need to get the village of origin. Let's consider sources.
                > First reaction is to check the Slovakia Phonebook. What I find however is
                > that surname dispersed throughout the country.
                > Second thought is to look at ellisisland.org. Hmm. Problem with manifests
                > before 1890 is that they are not very detailed. Nothing comes up with that.
                > Next thought is immigration records. Were they ever naturalized?
                > Next, other travel records. Did they ever return?
                > Looking at children's birth records for village of parents. Won't be found
                > on a "certificate" but is often found in the church books. Were all
                > children born in the states?
                >
                > Another possibility is to look in the Slovakia phone books for MEHAL and
                > MATKO, and try to locate both names in one geographic area. Did MEHAL
                > family ever travel back to Europe? Did other family or villagers ever come
                > to visit them or move to the states? Often families had boarders (US
                > Census) and these are often people they knew before. Tracing them often
                > finds clues.
                >
                > Here are even more ideas where to look for the village name:
                > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm
                >
                > What other research sources have you exhausted already?
                >
                > All my resource links mentioned above here here
                > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/toolbox.htm
                > Other pages explain how to use them as can most of the members here.
                >
                > Regards and Good Luck,
                >

                > Bill Tarkulich
                >
                > p.s., with Ellis, be certain to try name variations.

              • Michele Baker
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2009
                  This is getting more interesting . Your latest message has another name
                  that's of interest to me. George Sopchak's (my Mary Matcko's spouse)
                  mother's name was Michal, or at least that is the spelling our family shows.
                  Have more information on George provided by a local researcher based in
                  Kosice before my visit to the area in 2005. I will see what I can locate.
                  I am curious to see what spellings there are for "Michal."

                  Michele

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2009
                    Thanks Jean. They are the Mehal's I'm researching. They're not linked, I'll have to contact the library. Or go, I live about four hours away from Broackway. G

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2, 2009
                      That idea has been a two edged sword in my search because I was often told that Mehal was the anglicized version of Mihal and Michal which were/are very common. Like "Jones" I guess. My ggm Mary died in 1949 in Brockway, PA. Does that connect in any way? G

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 2, 2009
                        Not so far. I will contact you off-line if I find anything more.

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 2, 2009
                          Traditionally "Maria" was the most common baptismal variant in the region.

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 2, 2009
                            How about the Slovak spelling for the English pronunciation?
                            MIHAL

                            Don Havlicek
                            Edmore, MI