Sur Name FEDORIS/FEDORISHIN/FEDORISKY and KEREKES

  • dovetail9
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1 4:46 PM
      Hello - I'm new to this. I'm trying very hard to find my Dad's family. I
      know his father, Andrew FEDORIS (or FEDORISHIN or FEDORISKY or
      FIDORISKY) emigrated from the Bratislava area around 1906 and his
      mother, Anna KEREKES emigrated from, I think, Megaston Hungary (I don't
      even know if Megaston exists). She came over around 1910. They both came
      over through Philadelphia and settled in the Poconos.

      They both died around 1933, before Social Security, so I don't have that
      much information. I know that they both had brothers and sisters. Andrew
      FEDORIS was Greek Byzatinne Catholic, Rite. His fathers name was Peter,
      and his brothers name was John. Anna KEREKES, I believe was Roman
      Catholic. Her fathers name may have been Janos.

      That is all I know. Any information you can provide will be SO
      appreciated. I'm just so happy I found this link. My Dad is the last of
      his 11 brothers and sisters. They were all orphaned in 1933, and
      amazingly stayed in touch. I have a lot of cousins to report back to.

      Thanks again for any help!!

      Pamela Albicocco

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1 6:25 PM
        Pamela,
        I searched the 1995 Census for the five surnames you listed. The only one that had any hits was Kerekes. There were 100 with no dialect marks and 317 with a dialect mark over the 's'. I also tried Megaston and got no hits. The majority of the Kerekes listed lived in Kosice and Roznava Counties. Those are in far eastern Slovakia.
        There were some alternatives given for your four Fedoris surnames; Fedor - 1624 listings, Fedors - 39 listings, Fedorik - 29 listings and Fedoras - 20 listings.
        In order to search the Philadelphia passenger list you have to belong to a pay site. It may be worthwhile for you to do so.

      • treimer@nycap.rr.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2 5:31 PM
          The Carpathian Germans from the Hauerland organize again bus trip to the Hauerland, from August 13 to 22, 2009. Departure is Schwäbisch Gmünd near Stuttgart. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schw%C3%A4bisch_Gm%C3%BCnd
          The trip goes via Herlikofen to Vienna (sightseeing), then Deutsch-Proben/Nitrianske Pravno to participate at the Hauerland-Fest. In the next days, excursions into the Fatra Mountains and individual trips to home cities in the Hauerland. A great opportunity for those who could not travel alone.

          For details, contact:

          Maria Palesch and Ignatz Walkober
          Egerländer Str. 2
          73527 Schwäbisch Gmünd
          Germany

          Phone and Fax: 011-49-7171-81136
        • genmom4
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3 4:53 PM
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "dovetail9" <Pamela.Albicocco@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello - I'm new to this. I'm trying very hard to find my Dad's family.
            > know his father, Andrew FEDORIS (or FEDORISHIN or FEDORISKY or
            > FIDORISKY) emigrated from the Bratislava area around 1906 and his
            > mother, Anna KEREKES emigrated from, I think, Megaston Hungary (I
            don't
            > even know if Megaston exists). She came over around 1910. They both
            came
            > over through Philadelphia and settled in the Poconos.
            We need some more info here. How old were they when they came over? Do
            you think that they knew each other prior to immigrating?
            The Poconos covers a huge area of PA. Can you give more specifics of
            exactly they set up residence?
            If you know where they lived, you should be able to find them on the
            1920 and 1930 censuses. That might shed some light.
            If Andrew naturalized, you should be able to find his naturalization
            papers.
            He should be listed in the WWI draft. His name would be on a draft
            card, which would list where he came from.
            Give some more specifics, and there is a strong possibility that we can
            help work you backwards a bit further.
            Also, do you know where they were married? In Philadelphia or in "the
            Poconos"?
            I don't know where you live, but if you live in PA, you can access
            Ancestry Library edition at your local library, and you should be able
            to find the Philadephia Manifestst that way.

            > They both died around 1933, before Social Security, so I don't have
            that
            > much information. I know that they both had brothers and sisters.
            Andrew
            > FEDORIS was Greek Byzatinne Catholic, Rite. His fathers name was
            Peter,
            > and his brothers name was John. Anna KEREKES, I believe was Roman
            > Catholic. Her fathers name may have been Janos.
            >
            > That is all I know. Any information you can provide will be SO
            > appreciated. I'm just so happy I found this link. My Dad is the last
            of
            > his 11 brothers and sisters. They were all orphaned in 1933, and
            > amazingly stayed in touch. I have a lot of cousins to report back to.
            >
            > Thanks again for any help!!
            >
            > Pamela Albicocco

            Barbara

            Message 5 of 13 , May 3 5:30 PM
              Hi Pamela and welcome.

              Excellent questions from Barbara. I'll continue the inquisition!

              1. Your village names are clearly misspelled (they don't conform to spelling
              of the day). Where and how did you get that spelling. I'd suggest
              something that starts with "MEGYE" I Have a complete cross reference of
              Hungary names, but I won't offer any possibilities until we have more info.

              2. It's going to take more gumshoe to figure out if they met here or there.
              Please make a chronological chart of their life, including at marriage year
              and years of their offspring years. First, most children were born within 9
              months (often sooner if they came from poor villages) of marriage. Your
              chart will have many blanks, so not any assumptions and date ranges if facts
              are not authoritative.

              3. Have you searched for these people on ellisisland.org? Search for the
              wife under both maiden and married names, that may have give clarity to the
              chart. 1910 was a good year for manifest info. Remember, your years
              (immigration, birth, etc.) may definitely be in error, so seek ranges. This
              will tell you their age at immigration. To travel without parents you were
              usually 16 or older. You often traveled without papers or with improper
              papers.

              4. Bratislava did not have many Greek Catholics - it was predominantly an
              east Slovakia religion, but I'll never say never; just not probable.
              Remember, you are just collecting facts. Please do not rush to conclusions
              yet.

              5. With a lot of cousins, you should be demanding a lot of info from them.
              Do the offspring birth documents exist? Are you near their church. The
              Church baptismal/christening docs often contain the village of your
              immigrants.

              6. What language did they speak. What ethnicity did they self-identify as?
              You may get very different answer than what you think!

              That's all for now. Collect all these info and report back to us, then we
              can have another go at this.

              Regards,
              Bill Tarkulich

              > Hello - I'm new to this. I'm trying very hard to find my Dad's family.
              > know his father, Andrew FEDORIS (or FEDORISHIN or FEDORISKY or
              > FIDORISKY) emigrated from the Bratislava area around 1906 and his
              > mother, Anna KEREKES emigrated from, I think, Megaston Hungary (I
              don't
              > even know if Megaston exists). She came over around 1910. They both
              came
              > over through Philadelphia and settled in the Poconos.
              We need some more info here. How old were they when they came over? Do
              you think that they knew each other prior to immigrating?
              The Poconos covers a huge area of PA. Can you give more specifics of
              exactly they set up residence?
              If you know where they lived, you should be able to find them on the
              1920 and 1930 censuses. That might shed some light.
              If Andrew naturalized, you should be able to find his naturalization
              papers.
              He should be listed in the WWI draft. His name would be on a draft
              card, which would list where he came from.
              Give some more specifics, and there is a strong possibility that we can
              help work you backwards a bit further.
              Also, do you know where they were married? In Philadelphia or in "the
              Poconos"?
              I don't know where you live, but if you live in PA, you can access
              Ancestry Library edition at your local library, and you should be able
              to find the Philadephia Manifestst that way.

              > They both died around 1933, before Social Security, so I don't have
              that
              > much information. I know that they both had brothers and sisters.
              Andrew
              > FEDORIS was Greek Byzatinne Catholic, Rite. His fathers name was
              Peter,
              > and his brothers name was John. Anna KEREKES, I believe was Roman
              > Catholic. Her fathers name may have been Janos.
              >
              > That is all I know. Any information you can provide will be SO
              > appreciated. I'm just so happy I found this link. My Dad is the last
              of
              > his 11 brothers and sisters. They were all orphaned in 1933, and
              > amazingly stayed in touch. I have a lot of cousins to report back to.
              >
              > Thanks again for any help!!
              >
              > Pamela Albicocco

              Barbara

            • Pamela Albicocco
              Message 6 of 13 , May 4 2:01 PM
                Michael,
                Thank you so much for this information. Would belonging to Ancestry.com
                enable me to search the Philadelphia passenger lists? Thanks again for your
                help.
                Pamela
                On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                > Pamela,
                > I searched the 1995 Census for the five surnames you listed. The only one
                > that had any hits was Kerekes. There were 100 with no dialect marks and 317
                > with a dialect mark over the 's'. I also tried Megaston and got no hits. The
                > majority of the Kerekes listed lived in Kosice and Roznava Counties. Those
                > are in far eastern Slovakia.
                > There were some alternatives given for your four Fedoris surnames; Fedor -
                > 1624 listings, Fedors - 39 listings, Fedorik - 29 listings and Fedoras - 20
                > listings.
                > In order to search the Philadelphia passenger list you have to belong to a
                > pay site. It may be worthwhile for you to do so.

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 13 , May 4 5:21 PM
                  Pamela,
                  Here is a link for Philadelphia records. They do mention Ancestry.com - http://www.genesearch.com/philadelphia/
                  Since you listed all those Fedor based surnames and I found no listing for any of them in the 1995 Census it would appear there was a change made to the surname in America. So when you go searching you should search under all possible forms of the surname.
                  This is where it becomes very important that you know the ancestral village. It may be your only clue to the correct person in the records for Philadelphia. Since you are not sure under which surname they arrived. From experience I have found that birthdates are often wrong. First of all people didn't keep calendars as we do back in the 1800's. In Slovakia your "Name Day" is celebrated, not your birthday. So knowing your birthday was not that important. Not only have I found the days wrong, but also the year. Which could have been off by several years. So keep in mind the birthday is not necessarily precise. Only when you see the original records will you know it for sure.
                  Ancestry.com often offers a week or two free trial period. Sign up for one of those and see if you can find what you need. If you need longer it is often best to go with the minimum. Ancestry.com has not been the best source for Eastern European records.

                • PHILBAER@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 4 9:56 PM
                    Pamela,

                    I searched Ancestry.com for your ancestors named in your original email. I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. I have not found the immigration record for Fedoris. I think variant spelling of that surname may be hiding the records. FYI - the Hamburg Passenger List also has Anna Kerekes. Joining Ancestry.com is an option you have available. If you will be doing much more searches up to about 1930 (census records) or up to date for SS listings, you may want to join.

                    Philip Baer

                    Thank you so much for this information. Would belonging to Ancestry.com
                    enable me to search the Philadelphia passenger lists? Thanks again for your
                    help.
                    Pamela
                    On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                    > Pamela,
                    > I searched the 1995 Census for the five surnames you listed. The only one
                    > that had any hits was Kerekes. There were 100 with no dialect marks and 317
                    > with a dialect mark over the 's'. I also tried Megaston and got no hits. The
                    > majority of the Kerekes listed lived in Kosice and Roznava Counties. Those
                    > are in far eastern Slovakia.
                    > There were some alternatives given for your four Fedoris surnames; Fedor -
                    > 1624 listings, Fedors - 39 listings, Fedorik - 29 listings and Fedoras - 20
                    > listings.
                    > In order to search the Philadelphia passenger list you have to belong to a
                    > pay site. It may be worthwhile for you to do so.

                  • johnqadam
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 5 3:36 AM
                      >>> I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. <<<

                      What was the birth village?
                    • travel2001@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 5 9:24 AM
                        Just for kicks, you may want to check the death records for an "Andrew Kerekes" in the State of Michigan. There were some "Kerekes" that moved from eastern PA to the Detroit area because jobs were available. In addition, there were some related members that moved to Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
                        George

                        >>> I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. <<<

                        What was the birth village?

                      • Jody Gonda
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 5 9:37 AM
                          And don't forget to look at the Family Search Labs site, there are several Kerekes there.

                          lhttp://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1203983263666#start

                          Jody

                          Just for kicks, you may want to check the death records for an "Andrew Kerekes" in the State of Michigan. There were some "Kerekes" that moved from eastern PA to the Detroit area because jobs were available. In addition, there were some related members that moved to Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
                          George

                          >>> I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. <<<

                          What was the birth village?

                        • Rick Mayernik
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 5 11:12 AM
                            May not mean alot, but a KERKES family lives in my community in Montana.

                            Rick

                            And don't forget to look at the Family Search Labs site, there are several Kerekes there.

                            lhttp://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1203983263666#start

                            Jody

                            Just for kicks, you may want to check the death records for an "Andrew Kerekes" in the State of Michigan. There were some "Kerekes" that moved from eastern PA to the Detroit area because jobs were available. In addition, there were some related members that moved to Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
                            George

                            >>> I found the immigration record for Anna Kerekes which I sent to you separately. <<<

                            What was the birth village?

                          • Edie Sando
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 5 7:50 PM
                              I think you can search Philadelphia passenger lists on the Ellis Island website, also. I may be wrong,
                              edie