A true success story --- and I also want to thank Vladi

  • jeanconser
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2009
      Although my Slovak genealogy is ongoing, I decided to concurrently look for my husband's Polish roots. That was over 25 years ago.

      This is a success story for everyone. We didn't know the actual spelling of our last name or where this grandfather came from. We knew in the 1910 census he said he immigrated in 1907. Would you believe that on the 1910 census his name was Joseph Dionsox (Gunsor). It was a miracle we found that. In all our papers (church/civil/marriage, birth of children, deed to house, church/civil death, obituary and even his grave (which caved into the mines in Pennsylvania) we have no spelling that was the same. We knew his name was Joseph Ka.... On his marriage he claimed his father was Piotr Kancer and mother Bronislaa Sajda. But who knew if even that spelling was correct.

      Several months ago my husband's uncle, 80+ years young, and my only fellow genealogist in this search gave up. He said we spent too many years searching and would never find Joseph. He sent me all his paperwork. Among the papers was a copy of a postcard written in Polish to my husband's grandmother in 1929 who had since remarried from M & S Sajda in Bethlehem, Pa.

      Using Ancestry.com and obtaining the original social security application I found Mikolaj Sajda's village in Poland was Pokpzwianka. I requested the microfilm from the LDS and found Mikolaj and our Joseph (Jozef) were cousins. So from a small piece of paper that no one paid any attention to, we found our Jozef Kaczor from Gorki-Pokpzwianka area of Poland.

      We now know officially our last name and where he came from. Thank you Vladi. You are so knowledgeable and instilled in me a thirst to continue and trace other avenues. Just to keep going. Your knowledge extends beyond just Slovakia.

      ...And people, keep searching. Success does happen, it took me 25 years but it's wonderful

      Jean
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27, 2009

        You just gave me hope -- I too am searching for Polish ancestors whom I have no clue about their village -- and their last name has changed a lot as well -- thanks for the inspirational story.

        Caye

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28, 2009
          Caye, Jean, et al....

          I'm researching my father's Polish family history. Three really great
          resources are a Yahoo group called polish_geniuses, a book called
          "Polish Roots" by Rosemary Chorzempa, and www.polishroots.com. I would
          encourage anyone doing Polish genealogy who hasn't used any or all of
          these to check them out.

          Paul in NW Fl