Re: Lovasik

  • Curt Bochanyin
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24 1:11 PM
      Dear Must Have Been,

      Your grandfather and family appear in U.S. immigration records as well as Canadian.

      He arrived in New York aboard the Queen Elizabeth, in transit to Canada. Date of arrival 25 march 1948. Accompanied by his wife and son Anton.

      He claims birth in Czecho-Slovakia in the village of Pastina.

      His wife claims birth in village of Zavada, where Anton was also born.

      They all claim most recent residence in Pastina.

      Curt B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "musthavebeenfate" <musthavebeenfate@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I am looking for Lovasik and Katrushik family. From what I was told, my great Grandfather(Blazej Lovasik) came to Alberta,Canada, leaving his wife and child(or children) in Slovakia. I am unsure of the dates. My grandfater and grandmother Blazej and Emilia(nee Katrushik) and my father (Anton Lovasik) came to Canada in 1948. All of my life I believed we were the only Lovasik's, until a few months ago when I searched on another site. The chances of us being related are probable as Lovasik is not a common name. My father does not remember his grandmothers name. I am trying to find this as well as how we are connected to the Lovasik's in the states.

    • Curt Bochanyin
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 24 2:01 PM
        Musthavebeen,

        The canadian immigration records indicate your grandfather originally entered Canada before 1935 so your grandparents were apparently separated during the war. I do not have detailed access to those records, but they are available online, for a fee, at Ancestry.com.

        check them out. Maybe someone else has access and will check for you.

        Your grandparents were from the Zilina district of Slovakia and there is only one U.S. immigrant named Agnes Lovasik from the same area - namely Hricov. She was born in 1898. While Lovasik is an uncommon name in the U.S., the others are not likely any near relation that is traceable.

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "musthavebeenfate" <musthavebeenfate@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I am looking for Lovasik and Katrushik family. From what I was told, my great Grandfather(Blazej Lovasik) came to Alberta,Canada, leaving his wife and child(or children) in Slovakia. I am unsure of the dates. My grandfater and grandmother Blazej and Emilia(nee Katrushik) and my father (Anton Lovasik) came to Canada in 1948. All of my life I believed we were the only Lovasik's, until a few months ago when I searched on another site. The chances of us being related are probable as Lovasik is not a common name. My father does not remember his grandmothers name. I am trying to find this as well as how we are connected to the Lovasik's in the states.

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 24 2:55 PM
          There is a village of Pastina Zavada due West of the city of Zilina. Here is a website for information on it - http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/pastinazavada/pastina-zavada.html

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 24 3:12 PM
            Hricov. On the modern road atlas there are two: Dolny Hricov and Horny Hricov. They are very close to one another. The city of Bytca is on the Vah River. If you go East of Bytca on the south side of the river you will come to Dolny Hricov and about 6 km further is Horny Hricov.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 24 7:45 PM
              The Lovasik surnames was found in four towns in Zilina County in the 1995 Census: Velka Bytca, Hricovske Podhradie, Svedernik and Divinka. And Curt gave you the village of Pastina Zavada. They are all between the cities of Btca and Zilina. In addition you had Dolny Hricov and Horny Hricov that is in there with previous four. Which seems to give you a targeted area to do your research.
              The online telephone directory had this for Lovasik,
              Lovásiková Zelmíra Svederník 126, Svederník
              Lovásik Alojz Majcichov 533, Majcichov
              Lovasík Ivan Nábr.M.R.Stefánika 2, Ruzomberok
              Lovásik Jozef Krizovany nad Dudváhom 508, Krizovany nad Dudváhom
              Lovasik Roman Majcichov 409, Majcichov
              Lovásik Vladimír rekreacná oblast 2503/22, Buková
              Lovásik Pavol Idanská 7 , Kosice 11
              Lovásik Róbert Zelenec 301 , Zelenec
              Lovásik Vladimír Výhon 11 , Zelenec pri Trnave
              Lovásik Jozef-JL-stavebné práce Majcichov 166 , Majcichov

              and for Katrusik - Katrusíkova Anna Pastina Závada 44, Pastina Závada
              Katrusíková Anna Hodzova (m.c. Kosúty) 16/53, Martin
              It could be worth while to write Zelmira Lovaskikova in Svedernik and Anna Katrusikova in Pastina Zavada and make an inquiry. Since your family immigrated in 1948 there may well be people alive that may remember them.