Help on Kassa and Kocise, please

  • kathiraisa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26 12:40 PM
      Hello

      I have some old papers of my grandfather that says he was born in Kassa
      Hamor, Austria Hungary. So far, I have only been able to find a city called
      Kassa, which today is Kosice in Slovakia. No mention of Hamor.

      Trying to track dowm my great-grandmother, granpa's mother, I have found a
      person on a passanger list that could be her, but she was from Hamor, Hungary.

      I am confused. Kassa Hamor? Just Kassa? Just Hamor? Were/are they near to
      each other?

      Thanks for your help.
      Kathi-Raisa Petrick
      Cockeysville, MD
    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26 7:02 PM
        At 03:40 PM 8/26/00 -0400, you wrote:
        >Hello
        >
        >I have some old papers of my grandfather that says he was born in Kassa
        >Hamor, Austria Hungary. So far, I have only been able to find a city called
        >Kassa, which today is Kosice in Slovakia. No mention of Hamor.

        My brother-in-law's mother, Elizabeth Hajduk, was born in Kosicke Hamre he
        was told and her mail stop was Kos^icka Bela'. The Hamor and Hamre could
        be the same village which may have been incorporated into Kos^icka' Bela'.

        From: http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm

        KOSICKE HAMRE 4850 2105 N Slovakia 187.5 miles ENE of Bratislava

        KOSICKE HAMRY (KOSICKE HAMRE) 4850 2105 V Slovakia 187.5 miles ENE of
        Bratislava

        Mapquest locates it about 2 miles up highway 547 and a little north of the
        highway.

        Janko
      • John
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 26 7:31 PM
          At 08:02 PM 8/26/00 -0600, you wrote:
          >At 03:40 PM 8/26/00 -0400, you wrote:
          > >Hello
          > >
          > >I have some old papers of my grandfather that says he was born in Kassa
          > >Hamor, Austria Hungary. So far, I have only been able to find a city called
          > >Kassa, which today is Kosice in Slovakia. No mention of Hamor.

          If you have the Podrobny Autoatlas, Kos^icka Bela' is at B3 on page 52 (in
          mine). They show a Kosicke Hamre in the upper left hand corner of block B3.

          Janko
        • Frank Kurchina
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 27 2:08 AM
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:
            > Hello
            >
            > I have some old papers of my grandfather that says he was born in
            Kassa
            > Hamor, Austria Hungary. So far, I have only been able to find a
            city called
            > Kassa, which today is Kosice in Slovakia. No mention of Hamor.
            >
            > Trying to track dowm my great-grandmother, granpa's mother, I have
            found a
            > person on a passanger list that could be her, but she was from
            Hamor, Hungary.

            > I am confused. Kassa Hamor? Just Kassa? Just Hamor? Were/are
            they near to
            > each other?
            >
            > Thanks for your help.
            > Kathi-Raisa Petrick
            > Cockeysville, MD

            KATHI-RAISA

            Kos^ické Hámre is located 2.8 miles from Kos^ická Belá.

            The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish churh records
            (1750-1895) for Kos^ické Hámre, Slovakia, formerly
            Kassa-Hámor.

            Listed under Kos^ická Belá, Slovakia, formerly Kassa Béla.
            Includes affiliated towns of Kos^ické Hámre, Slovakia, formerly
            Kassa-Hámor, Abauj-Torna Megye, Hungary, and Malý Folkmar,
            Slovakia, formerly Kis-Folkmár, Szepes Megye, Hungary.
            Text in Latin and Hungarian.

            The LDS-Mormons have filmed the G.C. parish churh records
            (1727-1896) for Kos^ická Belá, Slovakia, formerly
            Kassa-Belá.
            Listed under Kojsov, Slovensko, Czechoslovakia, formerly known
            as Kojsó, Szepes Megye, Hungary.
            Includes affiliates Gelnica, Hýlov, Jaklovce, Kos^ická Belá,
            Margecany, Nizný Klatov, Opátka, Velký Folkmár, Vysný
            Klatov,
            Zlatá Idka and Zakarovce.
            Text in Latin and Hungarian.
          • John
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 27 8:44 AM
              At 09:08 AM 8/27/00 +0000, you wrote:
              Frank,

              Thanks for the confirmation and additional information. I'll have to order
              the films.

              John