Re: [S-R] Surnames in Siroka/Pechuifalu, STRIHORVISKI/LIPJANEZ

  • ginapa222
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 19, 2009
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sandra Husted" <sandra@...> wrote:

      > Someday it would be my dream to visit the area of Slovakia where my ancestors lived. >>>>

      Hi Sandra,

      To you, and EVERYONE who hopes they can someday go to Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Poland--or to wherever else your family may have come from--GO NOW!! I am only 53--yet I will most likely never be able to go to SE Poland and/or NE Slovakia because I have problems walking and use either a scooter, walker or cane to get around. I looked into going on a group tour this summer to Slovakia, but learned that many countries (inc. Slovakia and Poland), do not have assistance for handicapped folks to get around like we have here in the US, and that it's pretty rough terrain in the Carpathian Mountains, even for those without physical limitations. We always try and make plans to do something 'someday'--when the time is 'better' or 'right'--but never even imagine that something may happen to prevent us from doing it when that certain 'someday' finally comes (those things only happen to 'OTHER' people anyway--not to 'US')!

      I finally learned that I would rather do something now, even if it means taking a risk, or even if the time may not be quite 'right,' than to miss out on something I truly wanted and forever have to live with 'What if.'

      I can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get back!! ;-D
      ...Gina