Re: Surname - Smerecansky and Petugac

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18, 2009
      >>> I'm new to this and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of finding family with the surnames Smerecansky and Petugac. <<<

      When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion.

      Here are some possibilities from Ellis Island listings.

      Smereczak, Josep Poremba, Austria
      Smereczank, Lion Imerecone, Austria
      Smereczanska, Anna Rondy
      Smereczanska, Anna Ckyrow, Galicy
      Smereczanska, Jozef Ckyrow, Galicy
      Smereczanska, Marya Ckyrow, Galicy
      Smereczanska, Michal Ckyrow, Galicy
      Smereczanski, Bazio Smereczne, Austria
      Smereczanski, Heinrich St. Louis, U. S. A.
      Smereczanski, Jacob Pra...
      Smereczanski, Jan Bunkowice
      Smereczanski, Johann Iglevas, Hungary
      Smereczanski, Johann Czernowitz, Austria
      Smereczanski, Ladislaus Czernowitz, Rouman
      Smereczansky, Eduard Czernowitz, Austria
      Smereczenoka, Walerya Czernowitz, Bukowina
      Smereczenski, Ludwig Czernowitz
      Petunac, Imbro Pehenik
      Petunch, Janos U.S.A.
      Petuygan, Lecio Iluica or Fluica, Hungary
    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 18, 2009
        HI - don't have those surnames in our data base but it did pull up a place

        Smerecin GALICIA - might bear looking into .

        helene

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 18, 2009
          Thank you. I'll check into it. I have my grandmother's Baptismal record from former CZ-SL. I can make out the word "Poloma" but I'm unsure if thats a catholic diocese or a town. The priest had very fancy script so it makes it hard for me to recognize.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 18, 2009
            You have an unusual situation with Poloma, there are 4 places in Slovakia that have that name.
            Two are close to the city of Krupina. It is on Highway 66. 9.5 km north of Krupina is a side road that one Poloma is on. South of Krupina Highway 526 goes northeast to Highway 527. On a road south out of the town of Senohrad about 3 km is another Poloma.
            Out of the city of Presov Highway 68 goes northwest. On it is the town of Lipany. Almost due west out of Lipany, near the town of Sarisske Dravce is another Poloma.
            In Eastern Slovakia is a large lake, Vodna Nadrz Velaka Domasa, At the south end of the lake and to the east is the town of Giglovce. Next to it is another Poloma.
            Google brings up the third Poloma.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 19, 2009
              if the record is from what is now Slovakia then skip the Galicia thought -

              there are several villages in Gemer with Poloma in the name and one Saris village

              look at the seal - sometimes you can identify a place name on it.

              helene

              Thank you. I'll check into it. I have my grandmother' s Baptismal record from former CZ-SL. I can make out the word "Poloma" but I'm unsure if thats a catholic diocese or a town. The priest had very fancy script so it makes it hard for me to recognize.
              HI - don't have those surnames in our data base but it did pull up a place

              Smerecin GALICIA - might bear looking into .

              helene

              I'm new to this and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of finding family with the surnames Smerecansky and Petugac. Thanks and very much appreciated! !!

            • Peter Nagy
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 19, 2009
                Hi,

                The best would be to post the scanned certificate in the Photos section

                Peter