Re: [S-R] Smolko/Zadzora inquiry

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 15, 2009
      Maggie,
      "Ing" is the appreviation for the Slovak word for Engineer. It is a university degree title.

      From: Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 2:13 PM

      Maggie,
      I may be
      repeating myself. The Ellis Island records have 25 listings for Smolko.
      The newest came in 1921. There were only three Zadzora, the newest 1913.

      You mentioned you were writing "a few Zadzora" you found in the online
      telephone directory. The one I used had only 16 listings under Zadzora.
      Nine of those 16 were from towns very close to one another; Spisska
      Bela, Poprad and Kezmarok. I know those towns because they are 30 to 45
      minute drive from my ancestral village. A S-R member lives just out of
      Poprad, Ben Sorensen.

      Your telephone directory list for Smolko is big, 120 listings. But only
      two are from Nizna Sebastova; Frantisek at Slanska 45 and Milan at
      Finlicka 67. You might consider writing them also.

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 15, 2009
        Hi Helene,
        Education in Slovakia is confusing at times, and yes, titles are VERY important. At the first level we find bakalarske (bachelors).   Ing. (inzinier) is a type of Master's (though this doesn't really work, but for equivalencies to American education, we can force it...) as well as the Mgr. (magister). Those who defend disertations and sit the Examina Rigorosna become, for example, PhDr. (This takes about five to six years to complete, and is know as the "Small Doctorate.") PhD., is of course next, or you may see the older CSc. (Kandidat Vied.)

        I hope this helps everyone just a little bit.
        Ben
        From: johnqadam <johnqadam@yahoo. com>
        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 7:17 PM

        >>> Could someone please tell me  the meaning  of "Ing."<<<

        Ing = Engineer

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 15, 2009
          Great Ben - now what is the different between Ing and Mgr?

          helene

          Education in Slovakia is confusing at times, and yes, titles are VERY important. At the first level we find bakalarske (bachelors).   Ing. (inzinier) is a type of Master's (though this doesn't really work, but for equivalencies to American education, we can force it...) as well as the Mgr. (magister). Those who defend disertations and sit the Examina Rigorosna become, for example, PhDr. (This takes about five to six years to complete, and is know as the "Small Doctorate.") PhD., is of course next, or you may see the older CSc. (Kandidat Vied.)

          I hope this helps everyone just a little bit.
          Ben
          it means someone has the equivalent to our Master's Degree - so not an engineer as we know it - titles are important there and if you have achieved this it is used often as a sign of respect.

          unlike our 4 year college degrees - in Slovakia they go 5 years and  - someone from Slovakia can likely give  more details
          helene

          >>> Could someone please tell me  the meaning  of "Ing."<<<

          Ing = Engineer

        • Ben Sorensen
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 15, 2009
            Hi Helene,
            I will ask the gal who's got the titles... but now she is gettin' her beauty sleep.
            More tomorrow!
            Ben

            Great Ben - now what is the different between Ing and Mgr?

            helene

            Education in Slovakia is confusing at times, and yes, titles are VERY important. At the first level we find bakalarske (bachelors).   Ing. (inzinier) is a type of Master's (though this doesn't really work, but for equivalencies to American education, we can force it...) as well as the Mgr. (magister). Those who defend disertations and sit the Examina Rigorosna become, for example, PhDr. (This takes about five to six years to complete, and is know as the "Small Doctorate.") PhD., is of course next, or you may see the older CSc. (Kandidat Vied.)

            I hope this helps everyone just a little bit.
            Ben
            it means someone has the equivalent to our Master's Degree - so not an engineer as we know it - titles are important there and if you have achieved this it is used often as a sign of respect.

            unlike our 4 year college degrees - in Slovakia they go 5 years and  - someone from Slovakia can likely give  more details
            helene

            >>> Could someone please tell me  the meaning  of "Ing."<<<

            Ing = Engineer

          • Vladimir Linder
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 15, 2009
              When you finish your technical studies at University you get a title
              Ing. Inzinier

              For social studies you get Mgr.

              Vladi

            • Ben Sorensen
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 15, 2009
                Thank you Vladi!
                What about CSc.? I know it is gone, but was it actually the same as the PhD? (They made it so inthe '90's...)
                Ben

                At 09:57 PM 4/15/2009, you wrote:

                >Hi Helene,
                >I will ask the gal who's got the titles... but now she is gettin'
                >her beauty sleep.
                >More tomorrow!
                >Ben
                >
                >--- On Thu, 4/16/09, helene cincebeaux
                ><<mailto:helenezx% 40yahoo.com>helenezx@yahoo. com> wrote:
                >
                >From: helene cincebeaux <<mailto:helenezx% 40yahoo.com>helenezx@yahoo. com>
                >Subject: Re: [S-R] Titles
                >To: <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com>SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
                >Date: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 12:48 AM
                >
                >Great Ben - now what is the different between Ing and Mgr?
                >
                >helene

              • Vladimir Linder
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 15, 2009
                  NO PHd is lower CSS is after you have PHDr. That
                  means when you finish you get PHDr. in second
                  term after you got MGR. and then you do a project
                  in your subject and you have to defend it and you
                  get PHDr. ANd then after you do the same on
                  higher level and you get the CSc kandidat vied.

                  VLadi something like that.

                  *

                  Bc.

                  Deutsche Sporthochschule Koeln Ekonomická
                  univerzita Katholische Universität
                  Eichstätt-Ingolstadt Slovenska technicka
                  univerzita Technicka univerzita Universidad de
                  Oviedo University Of Bridgeport Univerzita Komenského

                  *

                  Ing.

                  Ekonomická univerzita Slovenska technicka univerzita

                  *

                  Iný bakalársky titul

                  City University Bellevue, WA Katholische
                  Universität Eichstätt-Ingolstadt Riga
                  International School of Economics and Busines
                  Rijskuniversitat Groningen Universite Jean Moulin, Lyon

                  *

                  Iný doktorský titul

                  Antony Robbins Companies CIMA-Chartered Institute of Management Accountants

                  *

                  Iný magisterský titul

                  Boston University Cornell University London
                  Business School Norwegian School of Economics and
                  Business Adminis Universität zu Köln Université
                  Nancy 2 Université Pantheon Assas Paris 2

                  *

                  M.A.

                  Central European University Fairfield
                  University Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School

                  *

                  M.S.

                  Aalborg University Cornell University
                  Rijskuniversitat Groningen Tilburg University
                  University of Jyvaskyla Vlerick Leuven Gent
                  Management School VU University Amsterdam Webster University

                  *

                  MBA

                  IEP Paris - ESPCP - ENSMP - Collège des Ing
                  London Business School Northwestern University
                  SKK GSB University of Bath University of Michigan Webster University

                  *

                  Mgr.

                  Masarykova univerzita Trnavská univerzita
                  Univerzita Karlova Univerzita Komenského Univerzita sv. Cyrila a Metoda

                  *

                  Ph.D.

                  Cornell University Tilburg University
                  University of Chicago Univerzita Komenského VU University Amsterdam

                  *

                  PhDr.

                  Univerzita Komenského