Re: [S-R] Re: Ozenna Poland

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 13, 2009
      Maryellen,
      My paternal ancestral village of Hromos is about 10 miles from Polish border. On the map of dialects in Slovakia it is in the area of the Goral dialect. That dialect was spoken in both Slovakia and Poland. Before the days of such formal borders people associated with one another because they shared a common area and were working or trading with one another.
      Ozenna, Poland is so close to the Slovak border you may have had a similar situation where the Poles and Slovaks of that area freely associated with one another. It is 5 km / 3 miles from Ozenna to Nisna Polianka, Slovakia. Nisna Polianka is on Highway 77. Go southeast on Highway 77 6.5 km / 4 miles and you have the turn off for Roztoky, which is 4 km / 2.5 miles. My road atlas shows there is a trail that heads north out of Roztoky to the border, about 4 or 5 km. The terminus is near the head waters of the Ryjak river that flows through Ozenna about 1.5 km further. Via this trail it was only about 6.5 km / 4 miles between Ozenna and Roztoky. Furthermore, at the time period you were searching Ozenna and Roztoky were part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. So there was no border between them.
      Having found your surname, Rozdilsky, in Roztoky I think one can speculate that they originated there. Someone might be able to explain how your surname and the village name are connected. The spelling similarities are obvious. Here is the Roztoky website - http://www.roztoky.sk/ The Slovak Dialect Map shows Rozloky in the "Ukraine dialect" area. This is also an area that is predominately Rusyn. If you do not know of them here is a website - http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/peters.htm
      You say you "have both films", can I presume they are for Roztoky and Keckovce. How unfortunate that the missing decade is the one you need. Have you considered contacting the Slovak archives. There is a State District Archives in Svidnik and Presov has the State Regional Archives. This missing decade could have been missing from the Archive they were filming at, but be in another. Sometimes it is worth while to pay the Archive to do a search for you.
      Gorlice and Pielgrzymka are in Poland. Gorlice is at the conjunction of three highways: 28, 977 and 993. Pielgrzymka is on highway 993 east of Gorlice. I have no experience with genealogy research in Poland. There should be a group similar to Slovak-Roots there that you can contact.
      Michael
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 13, 2009
        Maryellen,
        For your Polish search try PolishRoots - http://www.polishroots.org/default.htm