Ozenna Poland

  • deeprootsaz
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 12, 2009
      The 1869 Hungarian census
      Roztoky Saros megye
      shows Miklos Rozdilsky b. 1832 in Ozsina.
      Is this the same as Ozenna Poland?
      I found something on the internet showing that surname in Ozenna and Czarne.

      Also Pearl /Pelagia Rozdilsky was born in Wyszowatka. She married Peter Chopiak from Grab. Both are near Ozenna.

      Could not find microfilmed records.
      Does anyone know anything about records, where they are, etc.
      Family is Greek Catholic according to the records.

      Thank you.
      Maryellen
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 12, 2009
        >>> The 1869 Hungarian census Roztoky Saros megye shows Miklos Rozdilsky b. 1832 in Ozsina. Is this the same as Ozenna Poland? <<<

        I would say that you are correct. Ozenna is 4.5 km straight-line distance from Roztoky, further along the mountain trail.
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 12, 2009
          >>> The 1869 Hungarian census Roztoky Saros megye . . . Could not find microfilmed records. Does anyone know anything about records, where they are, etc. Family is Greek Catholic according to the records.
          <<<

          LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Keèkovce, Slovakia, formerly Kecskócz, Sáros, Hungary. Includes affiliated town of Roztoky, Slovakia, formerly Rosztoka, Sáros, Hungary.
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 12, 2009
            >>> Could not find microfilmed records. Does anyone know anything about records, where they are, etc. Family is Greek Catholic according to the records. <<<

            Simply looking at the map, you may find GC church records for Ozenna, Grab and Wyszowadka, Poland in Vardaka, Slovakia. The LDS listing does not suggest it but there is a road connection. Another possibility is Hutka, an equal distance by twisty mountain road.

            Good luck.
          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 12, 2009
              John,
              You are correct about Ozenna being 4.5 km from Roztoky.
              I am just not sure if Ozenna, Poland is Ozsina, Hungary. The 1867 -1914 map of the Austro-Hungarian Empire shows the original Hungarian counties in place. Where Ozenna is in present day Poland was then in the territory of Galicia.
              Your proximity reasoning could be valid. Can anyone come up with more substantial proof that Ozenna, Poland was once Ozsina, Hungary?

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 12, 2009
                As I understand the Greek Catholic parishes one village would have the church and then other villages would be affiliated with it. Since you found the Roztoky village affiliated with Keekovce parish, Rotztoky records would be kept in Keekovce parish record books.

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 12, 2009
                  Mary Ellen,
                  Here is some information on Rostoky. Your Rozdilsky surname is here -

                  Roztoky
                  county: Svidník

                  OLD NAMES of the village(town): 1773 Rosztoka, Rostoka, 1786, 1863-1902 Rosztoka, 1808 Rosztoka, Rostoka, Rostoky, 1907-1913 Végrosztoka, 1920 Raztoka, 1927- Roztoky

                  SURNAMES:
                  Bobák Bodnár Bojkasová Demko Driháková Drimák Fejko Ferenc Hicar Chlebovicová Chudík Chudíková Kimák
                  Kimák Kohutová Kohutová Ksenicová Lipnická Magnus Marusin Mikita Mikita Mikitová Olkhovyková Pajkosová
                  Poperníková Poperníková Rozdilský Siváková Surkala Vinar Vojtaseková Vovková Zaková Zukovicová

                  SURNAMES added recently in 2008: Bobák Bobáková Bodnár Bojkas Cina Demeterová Drimák Drimáková Ferenc Ferencová Grundza Grundzová Hicár Hvizd Hvizdová Chudík Chudíková Juhasová Karol Kekel Kimák Kimáková Kohutová Kovac Kovacová Ksenic Ksenicová Kundrat Kundratová Kundrátová Lipnický Lolo Lolová Marusin Marusinová Mikita Mikitová Milas Osifcin Patkan Patkanová Pitlivka Pitlivková Poperník Poperníková Rozdilská Rozdilský Sadiková Sivák Siváková Stesko Sivák Surkala Vasilenko Vovk Vovková Zukovic

                  In the above list more same surnames mean more people with the same surname in the village/city.

                  Parish : Keckovce

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 12, 2009
                    Maryellen,
                    In 1995 the surname Rozdilsky was found in two towns in Slovakia. There were three persons in each of these towns with it. The first name is the village, okr. is the county/ region, Svidnik. By road they are about 15 km / 9 miles apart.
                    Priezvisko ROZDILSKÝ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 6×, celkový pocet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
                    ROZTOKY, okr. SVIDNÍK - 3×;
                    VYSNÁ JEDLOVÁ, okr. SVIDNÍK - 3×;

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 12, 2009
                      Here is a possible lead to the village of Czarne. The village of Cierne nad Topl'ou has been called that a couple of times. It is some distance from Ozenna and is located in Slovakia.
                      31 Cierne nad Toplou VT/PV zemplín.
                      1773 Fekete-Patak, Czarne, 1786 Fekete-Patak, Carne, 1808 Feketepatak, Czarné, Czerný Potok, 1863-1902 Feketepatak, 1907-1913 Felsofeketepatak, 1920 Cierne, Carné, 1927-1948 Cerné, 1948- Cierne nad Toplou

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 12, 2009
                        Hello Michael,
                        I don't think Ozsina was Hungary. There is no comment for Saros megye.
                        All others have the written comment Saros megye. I think it was Poland, and Ozsina is how they pronounced it.
                        Also, many years ago, my uncle said the family came from Poland, but he didn't know where.
                        So, Poland fits.

                        Maryellen

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 12, 2009
                          Hi Michael,
                          I have both films on permanent loan.
                          In fact, I think I'm married to those films!
                          But there is a missing decade about 1858 to 1873. more or less.
                          So I was glad to find them on the 1869 Census.
                          Miklos apparently walked over those mountains to marry the love of his life, Maria, my great-grand-mother.

                          I'm trying to figure out if I am at a dead end temporarily, or if there are records hiding somewhere within easy access.

                          Maryellen

                          > Mary Ellen,
                          > Here is some information on Rostoky. Your Rozdilsky surname is here -
                          >
                          > Roztoky
                          > county: Svidník
                          >
                          > OLD NAMES of the village(town): 1773 Rosztoka, Rostoka, 1786, 1863-1902 Rosztoka, 1808 Rosztoka, Rostoka, Rostoky, 1907-1913 Végrosztoka, 1920 Raztoka, 1927- Roztoky
                          >
                          > SURNAMES:
                          > Bobák Bodnár Bojkasová Demko Driháková Drimák Fejko Ferenc Hicar Chlebovicová Chudík Chudíková Kimák
                          > Kimák Kohutová Kohutová Ksenicová Lipnická Magnus Marusin Mikita Mikita Mikitová Olkhovyková Pajkosová
                          > Poperníková Poperníková Rozdilský Siváková Surkala Vinar Vojtaseková Vovková Zaková Zukovicová
                          >
                          > SURNAMES added recently in 2008: Bobák Bobáková Bodnár Bojkas Cina Demeterová Drimák Drimáková Ferenc Ferencová Grundza Grundzová Hicár Hvizd Hvizdová Chudík Chudíková Juhasová Karol Kekel Kimák Kimáková Kohutová Kovac Kovacová Ksenic Ksenicová Kundrat Kundratová Kundrátová Lipnický Lolo Lolová Marusin Marusinová Mikita Mikitová Milas Osifcin Patkan Patkanová Pitlivka Pitlivková Poperník Poperníková Rozdilská Rozdilský Sadiková Sivák Siváková Stesko Sivák Surkala Vasilenko Vovk Vovková Zukovic
                          >
                          > In the above list more same surnames mean more people with the same surname in the village/city.
                          >
                          > Parish : Keckovce

                        • deeprootsaz
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 12, 2009
                            Thank you Michael.
                            This is certainly a find. And a new village !
                            I thought all the Rozdilsky's left since there are so many of them in Chicago and Pennsylvania.
                            I think the two groups are connected somehow.
                            The Penn. group immigrated from Pielgrzymka, which is now a ruin on the eastern edge of Magurka Park.
                            I understand that those records are in the hands of the GK Priest in Gorlice. So, I am wondering what other records he is taking care of !
                            Maryellen

                            > Maryellen,
                            > In 1995 the surname Rozdilsky was found in two towns in Slovakia. There were three persons in each of these towns with it. The first name is the village, okr. is the county/ region, Svidnik. By road they are about 15 km / 9 miles apart.
                            > Priezvisko ROZDILSKÝ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 6×, celkový pocet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
                            > ROZTOKY, okr. SVIDNÍK - 3×;
                            > VYSNÁ JEDLOVÁ, okr. SVIDNÍK - 3×;

                          • Vladimir Linder
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 12, 2009
                              This may help:

                              Spolok Slovákov v Po sku
                              Towarzystwo Slowakóv w Polsce
                              Ul. Sw. Filipa 7/7
                              311 50 Kraków
                              Tel.: 0048 12 634 11 27
                              Fax: 0048 12 632 20 80
                              E-mail: <mailto:zg@...>zg@...
                              Táto e-mailová adresa je chránená pred spamovými
                              robotmi, potrebujete ma zapnutý Javascript aby ste ju mohli vidie .

                              Vladi

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 13, 2009
                                Maryellen,
                                My paternal ancestral village of Hromos is about 10 miles from Polish border. On the map of dialects in Slovakia it is in the area of the Goral dialect. That dialect was spoken in both Slovakia and Poland. Before the days of such formal borders people associated with one another because they shared a common area and were working or trading with one another.
                                Ozenna, Poland is so close to the Slovak border you may have had a similar situation where the Poles and Slovaks of that area freely associated with one another. It is 5 km / 3 miles from Ozenna to Nisna Polianka, Slovakia. Nisna Polianka is on Highway 77. Go southeast on Highway 77 6.5 km / 4 miles and you have the turn off for Roztoky, which is 4 km / 2.5 miles. My road atlas shows there is a trail that heads north out of Roztoky to the border, about 4 or 5 km. The terminus is near the head waters of the Ryjak river that flows through Ozenna about 1.5 km further. Via this trail it was only about 6.5 km / 4 miles between Ozenna and Roztoky. Furthermore, at the time period you were searching Ozenna and Roztoky were part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. So there was no border between them.
                                Having found your surname, Rozdilsky, in Roztoky I think one can speculate that they originated there. Someone might be able to explain how your surname and the village name are connected. The spelling similarities are obvious. Here is the Roztoky website - http://www.roztoky.sk/ The Slovak Dialect Map shows Rozloky in the "Ukraine dialect" area. This is also an area that is predominately Rusyn. If you do not know of them here is a website - http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/peters.htm
                                You say you "have both films", can I presume they are for Roztoky and Keckovce. How unfortunate that the missing decade is the one you need. Have you considered contacting the Slovak archives. There is a State District Archives in Svidnik and Presov has the State Regional Archives. This missing decade could have been missing from the Archive they were filming at, but be in another. Sometimes it is worth while to pay the Archive to do a search for you.
                                Gorlice and Pielgrzymka are in Poland. Gorlice is at the conjunction of three highways: 28, 977 and 993. Pielgrzymka is on highway 993 east of Gorlice. I have no experience with genealogy research in Poland. There should be a group similar to Slovak-Roots there that you can contact.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 13, 2009
                                  Maryellen,
                                  For your Polish search try PolishRoots - http://www.polishroots.org/default.htm