Look-up Offers

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2009
      Back in the “old days”, travelers would come back from Slovakia with a phone
      book, or other source material and offer to do “look ups” for free for
      correspondents. Correspondence was a lot more primitive and slower then.
      In the spirit of “look ups” I’d like to offer that same lookup service for
      anyone desiring. I’ll do it on my own time and it won’t cost you a penny.
      Sometimes I can even scan a page or two on your village and email it.

      I’ve noted this before, and posted this offer on my web, but people come and
      go and info can be hard to find.

      If you have books of interest and would be willing to look up info for
      folks, please post it here on S-R, even if it’s the same book someone else
      has. We all get busy and having multiples is useful.

      Here are my books that I am willing to do “look ups” from for you:

      "Nazvy obci Slovenskej Republiky" (NAMES OF VILLAGES, SLOVAK REPUBLIC),
      Milan Majtan, 1997. This is a recently published book which identifies all
      the names and locations for all Slovakia villages from year 1773 to 1997.
      This is probably the most reliable method of obtaining the various place
      names.

      7. <http://www.talmamedia.com/> ATLAS AND GAZETTEER OF HISTORIC HUNGARY
      1914 (based on 1910 Census)
      <http://www.talmamedia.com/> (Second edition of Administrative Atlas of
      Hungary 1914) "Magyarország közigazgatási atlasza 1914",
      <http://www.talmamedia.com/> Talma Publishers. For each village it not
      only contains fairly detailed period map, but an Index of Village names used
      in 1910 to 1914. For each village, the population, ethnic and religious
      makeup is provided. It can also give you clues when trying to determine
      what church your family went to and where it could have been located. The
      data is taken from the 1910 Census and the 1913/14 Gazetteers.

      DICTIONARY OF HUNGARIAN PLACE-NAMES "Magyar helységnév-azonosító szótár" by
      György Lelkes, <http://www.talmamedia.com/> Talma Publishers. Goes well
      beyond Nazvy (above) to include all successor countries of Hungary (i.e.,
      Romania, Ukraine, etc.) not just Slovakia.

      VLASTIVEDNY SLOVNIK OBCI NA SLOVENSKU – 1977 VEDA, Bratislava - (in
      Slovak) contains a couple of paragraph description of present-day villages,
      historical statistics, church information and village names. May or may not
      contain picture of the village. I am willing to scan pages from the book
      and email to you. I am not willing to translate the Slovak for you as my
      time is very limited.

      CIRKEVNE MATRIKY NA SLOVENSKU ZO 16.-19. SOTROCIA, Parish Registers in
      Slovakia from the 16th to th 19th Century. 1991, Odbor Archivnictva
      Ministerstva Vnutra SR. (Slovakia State Archives) Index of all the
      church record holdings of the Slovak State Archives.

      DREWNIANA ARCHITEKTURA CERKIEWNA – Ryszard Brykowski, 1995, Warsaw – Church
      directory of architecturally significant extant churches in Southern Poland
      (Galicia). Narrative (polish) and black and white photos.

      CHURCHES OF UKRAINE ZAKARPATTIA, Mykhailo Syrokham, 2000. History of
      Eastern Rite churches in the province of Zakarpattia, Ukraine. Written in
      Ukrainian. History and contemporary church photos.

      CHURCH IN RUINS – Oleh Wolodymyr Iwanusiw, 1987, Canada. Written in Ukraian
      – The Demise of the Ukrainian churches in the Eparchy of Peremyshl.
      Present-day photos and short history of each parish, organized by Deanery.
      Some of these photos can make you cry – the communists turned some of them
      into fertilizer storehouses.

      Regards,

      Bill

    • maxine
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 14, 2009
        Bill, thanks for the links, however, the links will not go through. Can it be fixed-good links. thanks maxine sasala

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 14, 2009
          You don't need the link unless you want to buy the books.

          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com