Re: [S-R] (unknown)/Vladi

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 9 5:07 PM
      Vladi,
      You seem to indicate that I insulted you by saying you did "a HEAR say". Please point out to me in my e-mail where I use the phrase "hear say". My opening sentence is, "I stand corrected."
      I asked if it is not interesting that the clues I found on Ellis Island for the village of Sindliar would result in a place that had several Smolko surnames in it. Then I admit Maggie's Sebes lead makes Nizna Sebastova the correct town. Why, because I listed the names Sindliar has been known by and none was Sebes.
      The wonderful thing about websites like Slovak-Roots is it is "self checking" and therefore "self correcting". If a member submits something that is incorrect it is the right and duty of other members to correct them. I stood corrected by you. But I did not say you were "doing a HEAR say."
      What say you?
      Michael Mojher

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 9 6:33 PM
        No at all. I am fine. You went to the point from
        different angle, I went from the village name. It is fine.

        I always check the book Nazvy Obci, then
        Vlastivedny Slovnik obci na Slovensku and the map. And then I post if I want.

        1. http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/nazvyobci.htm

        2. http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm

        3. http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/atlas.htm

        Now you all know the secrets. The only thing is
        #2 you can't get anymore anywhere. I got one
        Three volume set in Slovakia when I do research,
        I use the second set here at my home and I have
        also a third set here as well, that could become
        available to the right party perhaps in the future.

        Vladi

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 11 3:32 PM
          Why is this list being CENSORED????

          My last post took two days before it went on!!

          What is going on and WHO IS THE CENSOR HERE???

          Vladi
        • Vladimir Linder
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 11 3:35 PM
            Funny some posts like this last one went on in 5 seconds and some
            take few days or even more. Anybody knows WHY??

            Vladi
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 11 3:42 PM
              Hello Vladimir,

              Kinda jumping to conclusions aren't we?
              I just checked and you are not being moderated.

              Every think that maybe there might be a technical problem along the way?
              Why? I have no idea. In the 28 years I've used email I've learned that it
              is a very flawed protocol. When it is good, it is very, very good. When it
              is bad, it is very, very bad.

              I would suggest as an alternate, use the Slovak Roots Web Page to post your
              message.

              Signed,
              Ye Olde Moderator

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 11 4:10 PM
                Vladimir,
                What makes a website like Slovak-Roots work so well is we do approach a "point from different different angle", as you said. Those who are fortunate as you to have access to special books are very much appreciated. So many of our members will never be able to use such books. Either because the books are so rare and / or we cannot read Slovak. It is through your generosity in sharing such knowledge that makes being a member of Slovak-Roots worth while. Thank you for that.
                Even more so, you have shared your "secrets" of finding information. Except for the 1 : 100 000 Slovak Road Atlas (which I use), one must know Slovak. And that is where members like yourself you know Slovak are a valued resource.
                You indicate that you have the 3 volume set of Vlastivedny Slovnik Obci Na Slovensku "that could become available to the right party in the future." May I ask who that "right party" might be in case such a person is a member of Slovak-Roots? And what the cost of the 3 volume set would be?

                #2 you can't get anymore anywhere. I got one

                At 05:07 PM 4/9/2009, you wrote:

                >Vladi,
                >You seem to indicate that I insulted you by
                >saying you did "a HEAR say". Please point out to
                >me in my e-mail where I use the phrase "hear
                >say". My opening sentence is, "I stand corrected."
                >I asked if it is not interesting that the clues
                >I found on Ellis Island for the village of
                >Sindliar would result in a place that had
                >several Smolko surnames in it. Then I admit
                >Maggie's Sebes lead makes Nizna Sebastova the
                >correct town. Why, because I listed the names
                >Sindliar has been known by and none was Sebes.
                >The wonderful thing about websites like
                >Slovak-Roots is it is "self checking" and
                >therefore "self correcting". If a member submits
                >something that is incorrect it is the right and
                >duty of other members to correct them. I stood
                >corrected by you. But I did not say you were "doing a HEAR say."
                >What say you?
                >Michael Mojher

              • maxine
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 11 4:29 PM
                  GREAT answer Bill!!!! maxine

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 11 4:36 PM
                    Thanks Bill, I posted after this one. It sure is funny how it goes.
                    But really the message in question took 2 days to get here. Yes I
                    know the one I post straight at the root get in immediately.

                    Vladi

                    At 03:42 PM 4/11/2009, you wrote:

                    >Hello Vladimir,
                    >
                    >Kinda jumping to conclusions aren't we?
                    >I just checked and you are not being moderated.
                    >
                    >Every think that maybe there might be a technical problem along the way?
                    >Why? I have no idea. In the 28 years I've used email I've learned that it
                    >is a very flawed protocol. When it is good, it is very, very good. When it
                    >is bad, it is very, very bad.
                    >
                    >I would suggest as an alternate, use the Slovak Roots Web Page to post your
                    >message.
                    >
                    >Signed,
                    >Ye Olde Moderator

                  • Vladimir Linder
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 11 4:36 PM
                      I thought so as well Maxine.

                      Vladi

                      At 04:29 PM 4/11/2009, you wrote:

                      >GREAT answer Bill!!!! maxine

                    • Edie Sando
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 11 8:55 PM
                        It happens on other Yahoo lists also. It's like a hiccup/technical!
                        edie

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 11 9:32 PM
                          I am not ready to sell it yet. I guess longer I
                          wait it will be more valuable. I can tell you I
                          bought a book on Ebay couple of years ago. It is
                          about two English painters that travelled and
                          painted the people and countryside HUNGARY, it
                          included Northern Slovakia their names are STOKES
                          or something like that and I was the highest
                          bidder of more than 150.00US$ We are talking
                          three books here and it wont go for less than
                          US$600.00, but I am not selling or even trying to
                          see if anybody would be interested in buying. And
                          besides that it is in Slovak, good only for
                          people that speak Slovak. So the right party would be one that speaks Slovak.

                          Vladi

                        • Vladimir Linder
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 11 9:33 PM
                            It sure is frustrating. You have a discussion and things aren't
                            getting through. it confuses the issues a bit here.

                            Vladi

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 12 10:15 AM
                              Agreed. But we must not forget it's FREE!

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 12 10:29 AM
                                Well these days the space is really cheap I run all my webs through
                                hostmonster.com for about 3.99 US$ per month and that is 10 domains
                                with detailed avstats statistics per each domain. Domains cost me
                                about 10.00$ each per year through godaddy.com
                                and If I was a bit more literate in web stuff I could set up any
                                group on my servers for free, no problem at all. Yust I don't have
                                the know how, how to do it.

                                Vladi

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 12 11:18 AM
                                  Thank you Vladimir, but it is in everyone's best interest to keep our forum
                                  as free from commercial connections as possible.

                                  Regards,
                                  Bill

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 12 12:31 PM
                                    O yes and what are all the adds doing there fro YAHOOO?? We are
                                    making money for YAHOO that is all.

                                    Vlado