Re: MAKARA-1819 birth record

  • ssultonia
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
      If you compare the last letter of that name to other names on the record I would say it is the letter "K". Look at the name Sikora, or the name Szedlak. The form of the letter K in those names is exactly the same. Although I can't read every letter, it looks like the last 3 letters might be "sak".
      Good luck.
      Bill

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, christine1931@... wrote:

      > I have added a file (part of page), containing the baptism on 18 Julii 1819, son of Michael Makara of Peklin and wife Maria Do - - - .  I cannot read the full last name.  I was expecting something like Dohan or Dochan.  I would be gratefu, if someone would take a look at it and tell me what they think.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Christine

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
        It looks to me like Dohazsak.

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
          >>> It looks to me like Dohazsak. <<<

          I agree. However, a single entry on Ellis Island shows a similar name, Dohaesik.

          A search of phone listings and Google was no help.
        • christine1931@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
            Thank you all very much for your quick reply.

             I agree, I will go with "Dohazsak".    I can see Doh - -sak .   Those, what looks like, two little dots over the first "a"  confused me.

            Thanks again.

            Christine