MAKARA-1819 birth record

  • christine1931@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
      I have added a file (part of page), containing the baptism on 18 Julii 1819, son of Michael Makara of Peklin and wife Maria Do - - - .  I cannot read the full last name.  I was expecting something like Dohan or Dochan.  I would be gratefu, if someone would take a look at it and tell me what they think.

      Thank you,

      Christine

    • ssultonia
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
        If you compare the last letter of that name to other names on the record I would say it is the letter "K". Look at the name Sikora, or the name Szedlak. The form of the letter K in those names is exactly the same. Although I can't read every letter, it looks like the last 3 letters might be "sak".
        Good luck.
        Bill

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, christine1931@... wrote:

        > I have added a file (part of page), containing the baptism on 18 Julii 1819, son of Michael Makara of Peklin and wife Maria Do - - - .  I cannot read the full last name.  I was expecting something like Dohan or Dochan.  I would be gratefu, if someone would take a look at it and tell me what they think.
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Christine

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
          It looks to me like Dohazsak.

          _____

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
            >>> It looks to me like Dohazsak. <<<

            I agree. However, a single entry on Ellis Island shows a similar name, Dohaesik.

            A search of phone listings and Google was no help.
          • christine1931@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
              Thank you all very much for your quick reply.

               I agree, I will go with "Dohazsak".    I can see Doh - -sak .   Those, what looks like, two little dots over the first "a"  confused me.

              Thanks again.

              Christine