Re: [S-R] Please help me interpret a letter

  • Jody Gonda
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2009
      Actually, they were from Abaujvar, Hungary, but I am hoping someone in this group will be able to interpret the letter to English even though Hungarian.  After about 1918 or so they lived in the Cleveland, Ohio area and moved around a lot since renting:
      Oh my goodness, seems they moved quite a lot - all in the Cleveland area!  Might be easier for you to tell me where your family lived, ha ha!
      Okay - about 1920 they lived on E. 89th near Cumberland corner
      Then they moved to Hulda approx. 1924
      Then onto 82nd off Kinsman
      Then to Soughton
      Then to 93rd near Cumberland again or maybe it was Kennedy
      Then to Holton by about 1926
      Then to 82nd off Woodland
      Later to Harvey
      Then to 111th
      And then to 119th.

      Mary Fazekas was living in Dillonvale, Ohio when she wrote the letter to her husband, Steve, and Steve was in Cleveland looking for work and a place for the family to live.  Steve was a coal miner in the Dillonvale area and the jobs were getting scarce about 1918 so that is when he went to Cleveland to find work.  I'm hoping the letter will mention family (think I saw Elizabeth mentioned) and that will help with my research.  Plus, getting this letter interpreted will make my mother-inlaw and her 2 sisters very happy!  They only gave me a copy of the letter, as they want the original.  As you can imagine, their eyesight isn't what it used to be (they are in their 90's), so they can no longer read it like they used to do.

      Jody