Please help me interpret a letter

  • jodygonda4
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2009
      Hello!

      My mother-inlaw sent me a letter written by her mother in 1916. She wrote the letter to her husband, Steve Fazekas, who was in Cleveland, Ohio, looking for a place for all of them to live and also for work. I believe it is in Hungarian, so hopefully someone in this group can interpret this for me. I would greatly appreciate this!!! Especially, if I could tell my mother-inlaw and her sisters, who are all in their 90's, what the letter says. I put the letter in the photo album, titled 'Gonda Family'.
      Thanks, ever so much!!!
    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2009
        Hello:

        Where is your Gonda family originally from in Slovakia? And where did they
        live in Cleveland, Ohio?

        Sincerely,

        David Baloga
        **************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or

      • Jody Gonda
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 27, 2009
          Actually, they were from Abaujvar, Hungary, but I am hoping someone in this group will be able to interpret the letter to English even though Hungarian.  After about 1918 or so they lived in the Cleveland, Ohio area and moved around a lot since renting:
          Oh my goodness, seems they moved quite a lot - all in the Cleveland area!  Might be easier for you to tell me where your family lived, ha ha!
          Okay - about 1920 they lived on E. 89th near Cumberland corner
          Then they moved to Hulda approx. 1924
          Then onto 82nd off Kinsman
          Then to Soughton
          Then to 93rd near Cumberland again or maybe it was Kennedy
          Then to Holton by about 1926
          Then to 82nd off Woodland
          Later to Harvey
          Then to 111th
          And then to 119th.

          Mary Fazekas was living in Dillonvale, Ohio when she wrote the letter to her husband, Steve, and Steve was in Cleveland looking for work and a place for the family to live.  Steve was a coal miner in the Dillonvale area and the jobs were getting scarce about 1918 so that is when he went to Cleveland to find work.  I'm hoping the letter will mention family (think I saw Elizabeth mentioned) and that will help with my research.  Plus, getting this letter interpreted will make my mother-inlaw and her 2 sisters very happy!  They only gave me a copy of the letter, as they want the original.  As you can imagine, their eyesight isn't what it used to be (they are in their 90's), so they can no longer read it like they used to do.

          Jody

          less. (http://food. aol.com/frugal- feasts?ncid= emlcntusfood0000 0001)