Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Geography help, please

  • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2000
      Congratulations!!

      Brezová is in several places:

      1. Northwest Slovakia 9 km east of the Czech border, 13 km northwest of
      Povaz^ska Bystica, 140 km north east of Bratislava.

      2. West central Slovakia, 24 km south southwest of Prievidza and 120 km
      northeast of Bratislava.

      3. South central Slovakia 46 km west northwest of Luc^enec (Luc^enec is 10 km
      north of the Hungarian border), 21 km southeast of Banska' S^tiavnica, and 155
      km north east of Bratislava.

      4. Brezová pod Bradlom is 25 km south west of Nove' Mesto, 24 km north northwest
      of Pies^t^any, and 65 km northeast of Bratislava.

      Ma'st (Ma'zst in Hungarian) 10 km north of Bratislava and about 1 km south of
      Stupava.

      Could be Brezová pod Bradlom since it is about 55 km northeast of Mást.

      Dr. "Q"

      RJMRAZIK wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      > I'm so excited about some new information I recently obtained thanks to
      > another very kind researcher! Thanks Ken!
      > I now have information from our ancestor's immigration/naturalization
      > papers.
      > It states that grandpa Stefan/Steve MRAZIK was born 4 April 1889 in Brezova,
      > Hungary and grandma Mary KOTES (his wife) was born in Mast, Hungary. She
      > was born 31 Jan. 1896.
      > What I need to know is, are these places specific enough for me to begin
      > trying to obtain information from their homeland, such as birth records etc.
      > ? Eventually hoping to learn more about their birthplaces and contact family
      > in that area, if any are still there.
      > They met and married in the USA. He was Lutheran and she was Roman Catholic.
      > Raised their family in her religion.
      > Both claimed to be Slovaks from Czechoslovakia. They spoke Slovak and
      > belonged to Slovak organizations in the USA.
      > I've heard all about the changes to that area. Thanks to those who provided
      > that information! One of these days I will have it firmly planted in my
      > brain, surgically if necessary! I am having a hard time trying to understand
      > & learn pretty much all things Slovakia.. Guess not all that different from
      > that what our ancestors might have felt when they came to USA. On second
      > though, it had to be much harder for them, for sure!
      > This is a great list!
      > Thank-you in advance for any information and or suggestions!
      > Sincerely,
      > Peggy Mrazik
      > Searching: JURACSICS, KOTES, MRAZIK
    • Ken Sajdak
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2000
        I'm not sure this is exactly what you want, but . . .

        I recently became aware of two good web map pages.... basically, you type in the
        name and then select the best match....

        Both are linked to the World Gen Web Pages for Slovak and Czech Republics....

        Very solid maps.

        The links are:

        http://www.rootsweb.com/~czewgw/ (The Czech page)

        and

        http://www.rootsweb.com/~svkwgw/ (The Slovak Page)

        Hope this helps....

        Ken Sajdak
        Researching SAJDAK, SIDLIK, RUMAN, MISUN

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 11, 2000