Blue Houses in Slovakia

  • PRabich@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
      Hi,

      I remember in my travels through Eastern Slovakia I was told that in the
      older villages, people would paint their house blue in order to tell everyone
      that there was an eligible young unmarried lady living in that home. When I
      was telling this to my Slovak Exchange student she stated that wasn't so. Can
      someone enlighten me about this? Was it just folklore or was it true?

      Thanks loads,

      Patricia Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis
      **************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make meals for Under
      $10. (http://food.aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000002)

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
        I've never heard of that, would consider it unnecessary. In small villages,
        everyone knew everyone. Plus, the effort and expense would seem to be
        onerous. Now, if they wanted to make a small mark or nail something small
        up, I could see that. But again, I've never heard of that.

        In large towns or cities, the dynamic would be quite different, I dare not
        speculate.

        Having said all that, each village was unique in its customs. It's possible
        there was a local phenomena.

        You might want to read some of the cultural abstracts I've posted here.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/traditions.htm Keep in mind these are
        generalizations, most often applied to western Slovakia.

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
          Hi there,
          Firstly, I bet we need to move this to Slovak World :-).  But I will try to answer (preliminarily) now...
          That would have taken a bit of expensive paint back then, probably more than most families could afford.  Also, from what we can assume from stories by Jozef Rybar (senior and junior both spoke of how they went around the villages in the evening trying to impress the ladies), as well as other folklorists (Peter Paciga said that the fujara has magical powers- played well, and it can open the doors to any girl's heart. He too spoke of hanging out with the boys and going window to window of the pretty girls' houses...) we know that boys knew where the eligible girls were.

          In Hozelec, there was ONE blue house that was built in 1913. It has been blue for years, and no one eligible lives there- anymore. :-) I will ask one person who would definately know- Babka. For now, though, I would gander that it is just a story.  However, the boys would put maypoles in the yards of pretty girls' houses.  Milka's dad cut many a maypole down.... :-)

          I will give you Babka's answer when I get it- but that will be on Slovak World.
          Take care!
          Ben

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
            YES, to my knowledge it is TRUE. But they do not paint the entire house. Only where the logs come together or the lower part where the cement or whatever is! I have seen this many, many times. In Jakubany, in the village museum in Stara Lubovna, other area's I have traveled and in countless pictures. It is their custom.
            maxine sasala

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
              From what I understand this is a custom among the Rusyns who live in Eastern Slovakia. If you travel to the Skanzen at the Bardejovske Kupele you will see one of those houses there.

              Polly Russinik Walker

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
                I've never seen it at any of my Rusyn villages.

                Slovakia. If you travel to the Skanzen at the Bardejovske Kupele you will
                see one of those houses there.

                Polly Russinik Walker

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, PRabich@... wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I remember in my travels through Eastern Slovakia I was told that in the
                > older villages, people would paint their house blue in order to tell
                everyone
                > that there was an eligible young unmarried lady living in that home. When
                > was telling this to my Slovak Exchange student she stated that wasn't so.
                Can
                > someone enlighten me about this? Was it just folklore or was it true?
                >
                > Thanks loads,
                >
                > Patricia Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis
                > **************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make meals for
                Under
                > $10. (http://food.aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000002)

              • Julie Michutka
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
                  I heard this from a couple of sources (I think Helene was one of
                  them), but it wasn't the whole house--just the "chinking" between the
                  dark logs. Very pretty to see the narrow strips of sky blue between
                  the wider stripes of dark brown, whatever the reason behind it.

                  Julie Michutka
                  jmm@...

                  On Mar 25, 2009, at 10:17 AM, Prabich@... wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I remember in my travels through Eastern Slovakia I was told that in
                  > the
                  > older villages, people would paint their house blue in order to tell
                  > everyone
                  > that there was an eligible young unmarried lady living in that
                  > home. When I
                  > was telling this to my Slovak Exchange student she stated that
                  > wasn't so. Can
                  > someone enlighten me about this? Was it just folklore or was it
                  > true?
                • Armata, Joseph R
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
                    I was told this in Poland as well, or that just the log ends were painted blue. Another story was that certain flowers planted outside a cottage meant an available girl lived there. But one of the top ethnographers at the Jagiellonian University in Krakow assured us that though it was often told, it wasn't true. Everyone knew where all the available girls (and boys!) were without any advertising.

                    Joe
                  • Bruce L Bauer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
                      Julie
                      I can not comment on the reason for the paint job but I have posted a
                      picture. It is called
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/files/00111 Vasil Strenk
                      House Jarabina.jpg
                      <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AFXKSYP9eGJ12g6qMupTHDlv8EGD5K5Fi3r7OslCVszIYL8Wl5a3WTESu9NSuvpi52CZGlTKozDmdoh2eY6mJhhIP-QaGhwO/00111%20Vasil%20Strenk%20House%20Jarabina.jpg>
                      .

                      Bruce

                      Julie Michutka wrote:
                      > I heard this from a couple of sources (I think Helene was one of
                      > them), but it wasn't the whole house--just the "chinking" between the
                      > dark logs. Very pretty to see the narrow strips of sky blue between
                      > the wider stripes of dark brown, whatever the reason behind it.
                      >
                      > Julie Michutka
                      > jmm@...
                      >
                      > On Mar 25, 2009, at 10:17 AM, Prabich@... wrote:
                      >

                      >> Hi,
                      >>
                      >> I remember in my travels through Eastern Slovakia I was told that in
                      >> the
                      >> older villages, people would paint their house blue in order to tell
                      >> everyone
                      >> that there was an eligible young unmarried lady living in that
                      >> home. When I
                      >> was telling this to my Slovak Exchange student she stated that
                      >> wasn't so. Can
                      >> someone enlighten me about this? Was it just folklore or was it
                      >> true?

                    • Julie Michutka
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
                        On Mar 25, 2009, at 12:31 PM, Armata, Joseph R wrote:
                        > Everyone knew where all the available girls (and boys!) were
                        > without any advertising.

                        Ah, but what if some handsome stranger wandered in from out of town ;-)
                      • J.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
                          Handsome stranger...hmmm...

                          What a Romantic you are, Julie!
                          I like this story...where does it go next?

                          Cousin Janie

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
                            Handsome stranger...hmmm...

                            What a Romantic you are, Julie!
                            I like this story...where does it go next?

                            Cousin Janie

                            -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:

                            Ah, but what if some handsome stranger wandered in from out of town ;-)

                            > On Mar 25, 2009, at 12:31 PM, Armata, Joseph R wrote:
                            > > Everyone knew where all the available girls (and boys!) were
                            > > without any advertising.
                            >
                            > Ah, but what if some handsome stranger wandered in from out of town ;-)

                          • helene cincebeaux
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
                              Why move - this has to do with genealogy - marriages -

                              Thinking of the log home in Lendak - the blue was the whitewash which was tinted light blue and used between the logs. This summer I will knock on the door and ask.

                              Think it might have been a tradition years ago and then somewhat lost; tho i was intrigued to learn that the Amish painted the front door blue when they had a marriageable daughter.
                              Did you know the roots for many of the sects in Pennsylvania came from Germany but first they were in Moravia and possibly western Slovakia. The famed painted Herman Landsfeld in Straznice said many Americans with Amish roots came to him to learn about their genealogy.

                              Nice memory of him - a famed painter, archeologist and potter - he played his accordion for us in his museum-like studio and flirted with my mother and said the fire isn't dead yet!

                              helene

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
                                PS on the blue painting around a house's foundation - i was told many years ago that this was to guard from evil spirits coming up from the ground into the house. Love to show one of these dear old homes in my slide show of Slovakia and then show a commie-high rise - a panelok - with blue painted around the foundation.

                                helene

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 29, 2009
                                  Hehehe- ok, blue houses.  Perhaps it is very true, as some of my friends came back and said- "You know, we asked babka/dedko/ some other elder..." and the verdict- they say that yes.  My original thought was that it wasn't true, but these folklorists I trust. Even if we all knew nothing about it,  these folklorist friends have gone out (or HOME!) and asked. Therefore, I am standing corrected (perhaps) in my original belief.

                                  A caveat- the whole thing could still be just a legend- as I too am getting my verdict from "oral traditions" (and a skanzen in Martin, as one friend works there.) Just thought I would throw it out....
                                  Ben