Re: [S-R] ( Re) Need for I.D.

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2009
      Tom,
      I can only relate my experience with dealing with a parish or city hall for records. I've never heard that there are "rules" governing such a search. I happened to do it in person, which may have made it easier, but I doubt it. I made my request and the person went and looked it up, no questions asked. There is suppose to be a "hundred year" rule for privacy of records. If the Archives live by that rule, then you would only be able to find births, pre-1909, but not marriages in the 1920's.
      Eventually, every city, town and village will have a website up and running. A large number already do. They all have an e-mail address to write to City Hall. It is worth the effort to write them and make a request for a search. English is now taught in most schools. So it is possible that there will be somebody in the village that can translate your request. Just keep the sentences simple. If you are lucky there won't even be a charge for the search. If someone with your surname is in the village they will know about the requested search very quickly.
      Michael