Looking for location of records

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009
      The LDS recently published that they have completed all filming projects in Slovakia (but have not cataloged everything yet). They also reported that the 1869 Hungarian Census was only filmed in the archives in Bratislava, Nitra and Bytca. This is a big disappointment for those of us who where hoping that the Census would someday be available for the remaining areas of Slovakia.

      However, it is not clear if the 1869 Census records for the unfilmed counties even still exist. For example, does anyone know if the ones for the former Gomor County are in one of the archives? If they are, would that be Levoca or maybe Kocise? Similarly, what archive would have the civil records after 1895 for Gomor villages and towns? Finally, has anyone used a private researcher to obtain the census or civil records for anywhere in Gomor?
      Thanks very much,
      CK
    • Peter Nagy
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009
        Dear Carl,

        The 1869 census is a big issue, according to my knowledge, the Budapest
        National Archives have some areas which are not kept by Slovak archives.
        In opposite, the census for the former Komarom county is kept by the
        State Archives in Ivanka pri Nitre, even for the villages in present
        Hungary.

        According the present regulations, the registrars have to close the
        registry volumes after the last record is more than 100 years old. The
        repository for these civil records are the branch offices of the State
        Archives (pobočky štátnych archívov). Here is the directory of the
        archives and their branch offices:
        http://www.civil.gov.sk/p19/p19-01.shtm

        I would say, the civil records of Gemer region are kept by branch
        offices of the Banska Bystrica archives in Rimavska Sobota

        Peter

        Carl Kotlarchik wrote:

        > The LDS recently published that they have completed all filming
        > projects in Slovakia (but have not cataloged everything yet). They
        > also reported that the 1869 Hungarian Census was only filmed in the
        > archives in Bratislava, Nitra and Bytca. This is a big disappointment
        > for those of us who where hoping that the Census would someday be
        > available for the remaining areas of Slovakia.
        >
        > However, it is not clear if the 1869 Census records for the unfilmed
        > counties even still exist. For example, does anyone know if the ones
        > for the former Gomor County are in one of the archives? If they are,
        > would that be Levoca or maybe Kocise? Similarly, what archive would
        > have the civil records after 1895 for Gomor villages and towns?
        > Finally, has anyone used a private researcher to obtain the census or
        > civil records for anywhere in Gomor?
        > Thanks very much,
        > CK

      • Carl Kotlarchik
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009
          Thank you Peter for your reply. I have been trying to get an answer about the 1869 census of Gomor records for several years now without luck. The LDS says that they have only filmed the Slovak census records in the archives in Bratislava, Nitra and Bytca. However, most of us know that the Census records are available from the LDS for the former Zemplen county. I assume that those records were in the archive in Presov. So this seems to contradict the LDS' own statement. It is all very confusing and frustrating. As you know, the 1869 Census has a wealth of information and is a great way of sorting out family relationships derived from the church records.
          Thank you again for your response,
          Carl

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Peter Nagy <rndrnagy@...> wrote:

          > Dear Carl,
          >
          > The 1869 census is a big issue, according to my knowledge, the Budapest
          > National Archives have some areas which are not kept by Slovak archives.
          > In opposite, the census for the former Komarom county is kept by the
          > State Archives in Ivanka pri Nitre, even for the villages in present
          > Hungary.
          >
          > According the present regulations, the registrars have to close the
          > registry volumes after the last record is more than 100 years old. The
          > repository for these civil records are the branch offices of the State
          > Archives (poboèky ¹tátnych archívov). Here is the directory of the
          > archives and their branch offices:
          > http://www.civil.gov.sk/p19/p19-01.shtm
          >
          > I would say, the civil records of Gemer region are kept by branch
          > offices of the Banska Bystrica archives in Rimavska Sobota
          >
          > Peter
          >

          > Carl Kotlarchik wrote:
          > >
          > > The LDS recently published that they have completed all filming
          > > projects in Slovakia (but have not cataloged everything yet). They
          > > also reported that the 1869 Hungarian Census was only filmed in the
          > > archives in Bratislava, Nitra and Bytca. This is a big disappointment
          > > for those of us who where hoping that the Census would someday be
          > > available for the remaining areas of Slovakia.
          > >
          > > However, it is not clear if the 1869 Census records for the unfilmed
          > > counties even still exist. For example, does anyone know if the ones
          > > for the former Gomor County are in one of the archives? If they are,
          > > would that be Levoca or maybe Kocise? Similarly, what archive would
          > > have the civil records after 1895 for Gomor villages and towns?
          > > Finally, has anyone used a private researcher to obtain the census or
          > > civil records for anywhere in Gomor?
          > > Thanks very much,
          > > CK

        • Margaret Hicks
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 18, 2009
            I went to your link below and clicked on English but it did not change. Any
            succestion to get it to English

            Thanks
            > The 1869 census is a big issue, according to my knowledge, the Budapest
            > National Archives have some areas which are not kept by Slovak archives.
            > In opposite, the census for the former Komarom county is kept by the
            > State Archives in Ivanka pri Nitre, even for the villages in present
            > Hungary.
            >
            > According the present regulations, the registrars have to close the
            > registry volumes after the last record is more than 100 years old. The
            > repository for these civil records are the branch offices of the State
            > Archives (pobočky štátnych archívov). Here is the directory of the
            > archives and their branch offices:
            > http://www.civil.gov.sk/p19/p19-01.shtm
            >
            > I would say, the civil records of Gemer region are kept by branch
            > offices of the Banska Bystrica archives in Rimavska Sobota
            >
            > Peter
            >

            > Carl Kotlarchik wrote:
            >>
            >> The LDS recently published that they have completed all filming
            >> projects in Slovakia (but have not cataloged everything yet). They
            >> also reported that the 1869 Hungarian Census was only filmed in the
            >> archives in Bratislava, Nitra and Bytca. This is a big disappointment
            >> for those of us who where hoping that the Census would someday be
            >> available for the remaining areas of Slovakia.
            >>
            >> However, it is not clear if the 1869 Census records for the unfilmed
            >> counties even still exist. For example, does anyone know if the ones
            >> for the former Gomor County are in one of the archives? If they are,
            >> would that be Levoca or maybe Kocise? Similarly, what archive would
            >> have the civil records after 1895 for Gomor villages and towns?
            >> Finally, has anyone used a private researcher to obtain the census or
            >> civil records for anywhere in Gomor?
            >> Thanks very much,
            >> CK

          • Julie & Kevin
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 18, 2009
              Margaret,
              Look at the top of the page !!

              I went to your link below and clicked on English but it did not change. Any
              succestion to get it to English

              Thanks
              > The 1869 census is a big issue, according to my knowledge, the
              > Budapest National Archives have some areas which are not kept by
              > Slovak archives. In opposite, the census for the former Komarom county
              > is kept by the State Archives in Ivanka pri Nitre, even for the
              > villages in present Hungary.
              >
              > According the present regulations, the registrars have to close the
              > registry volumes after the last record is more than 100 years old. The
              > repository for these civil records are the branch offices of the
              > State Archives (pobočky štátnych archívov). Here is the directory of
              > the archives and their branch offices:
              > http://www.civil.gov.sk/p19/p19-01.shtm
              >
              > I would say, the civil records of Gemer region are kept by branch
              > offices of the Banska Bystrica archives in Rimavska Sobota
              >
              > Peter
              >

              > Carl Kotlarchik wrote:
              >>
              >> The LDS recently published that they have completed all filming
              >> projects in Slovakia (but have not cataloged everything yet). They
              >> also reported that the 1869 Hungarian Census was only filmed in the
              >> archives in Bratislava, Nitra and Bytca. This is a big disappointment
              >> for those of us who where hoping that the Census would someday be
              >> available for the remaining areas of Slovakia.
              >>
              >> However, it is not clear if the 1869 Census records for the unfilmed
              >> counties even still exist. For example, does anyone know if the ones
              >> for the former Gomor County are in one of the archives? If they are,
              >> would that be Levoca or maybe Kocise? Similarly, what archive would
              >> have the civil records after 1895 for Gomor villages and towns?
              >> Finally, has anyone used a private researcher to obtain the census or
              >> civil records for anywhere in Gomor? Thanks very much,
              >> CK

            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 18, 2009
                Margaret,
                In the top left corner is the word ENGLISH, click on it.

                I went to your link below and clicked on English but it did not change. Any
                succestion to get it to English

                Thanks
                > The 1869 census is a big issue, according to my knowledge, the Budapest
                > National Archives have some areas which are not kept by Slovak archives.
                > In opposite, the census for the former Komarom county is kept by the
                > State Archives in Ivanka pri Nitre, even for the villages in present
                > Hungary.
                >
                > According the present regulations, the registrars have to close the
                > registry volumes after the last record is more than 100 years old. The
                > repository for these civil records are the branch offices of the State
                > Archives (pobo�ky �t�tnych arch�vov). Here is the directory of the
                > archives and their branch offices:
                > http://www.civil.gov.sk/p19/p19-01.shtm
                >
                > I would say, the civil records of Gemer region are kept by branch
                > offices of the Banska Bystrica archives in Rimavska Sobota
                >
                > Peter
                >

                > Carl Kotlarchik wrote:
                >>
                >> The LDS recently published that they have completed all filming
                >> projects in Slovakia (but have not cataloged everything yet). They
                >> also reported that the 1869 Hungarian Census was only filmed in the
                >> archives in Bratislava, Nitra and Bytca. This is a big disappointment
                >> for those of us who where hoping that the Census would someday be
                >> available for the remaining areas of Slovakia.
                >>
                >> However, it is not clear if the 1869 Census records for the unfilmed
                >> counties even still exist. For example, does anyone know if the ones
                >> for the former Gomor County are in one of the archives? If they are,
                >> would that be Levoca or maybe Kocise? Similarly, what archive would
                >> have the civil records after 1895 for Gomor villages and towns?
                >> Finally, has anyone used a private researcher to obtain the census or
                >> civil records for anywhere in Gomor?
                >> Thanks very much,
                >> CK

              • Margaret Hicks
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 18, 2009
                  I did that several times and nothing happened.
                  In the top left corner is the word ENGLISH, click on it.

                  I went to your link below and clicked on English but it did not change. Any
                  succestion to get it to English

                  Thanks
                  > The 1869 census is a big issue, according to my knowledge, the Budapest
                  > National Archives have some areas which are not kept by Slovak archives.
                  > In opposite, the census for the former Komarom county is kept by the
                  > State Archives in Ivanka pri Nitre, even for the villages in present
                  > Hungary.
                  >
                  > According the present regulations, the registrars have to close the
                  > registry volumes after the last record is more than 100 years old. The
                  > repository for these civil records are the branch offices of the State
                  > Archives (poboèky ¹tátnych archívov). Here is the directory of the
                  > archives and their branch offices:
                  > http://www.civil.gov.sk/p19/p19-01.shtm
                  >
                  > I would say, the civil records of Gemer region are kept by branch
                  > offices of the Banska Bystrica archives in Rimavska Sobota
                  >
                  > Peter
                  >

                  > Carl Kotlarchik wrote:
                  >>
                  >> The LDS recently published that they have completed all filming
                  >> projects in Slovakia (but have not cataloged everything yet). They
                  >> also reported that the 1869 Hungarian Census was only filmed in the
                  >> archives in Bratislava, Nitra and Bytca. This is a big disappointment
                  >> for those of us who where hoping that the Census would someday be
                  >> available for the remaining areas of Slovakia.
                  >>
                  >> However, it is not clear if the 1869 Census records for the unfilmed
                  >> counties even still exist. For example, does anyone know if the ones
                  >> for the former Gomor County are in one of the archives? If they are,
                  >> would that be Levoca or maybe Kocise? Similarly, what archive would
                  >> have the civil records after 1895 for Gomor villages and towns?
                  >> Finally, has anyone used a private researcher to obtain the census or
                  >> civil records for anywhere in Gomor?
                  >> Thanks very much,
                  >> CK

                • Margaret Hicks
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 27, 2009
                    I have done this several times and it will not change to English