Need help with translation of a Birth Record

  • jodygonda4
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 12, 2009
      I went back to the LDS center tonight and found another birth record for a sibling of my husband's great grandfather. The birth record is posted in my Gonda family album in the photos section. In particular, on page 2, I am interested in knowing the parents names - it looks like George Gonda, but I can't make out his wife's name. Also, in the last column, there is a comment, am I correct that this states he died on December 25th of 1874? The record is the 6th from the top on page 2, on the record that states, Michael Gonda birth record.
    • Carl Kotlarchik
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 13, 2009
        Jody,
        The scans that you have posted are not of high enough resolution to read. Any chance you can post a higher res. image? However the entry
        in the last column does indicate that the child died as you said.
        CK

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jodygonda4" <jodygonda4@...> wrote:

        > I went back to the LDS center tonight and found another birth record for a sibling of my husband's great grandfather. The birth record is posted in my Gonda family album in the photos section. In particular, on page 2, I am interested in knowing the parents names - it looks like George Gonda, but I can't make out his wife's name. Also, in the last column, there is a comment, am I correct that this states he died on December 25th of 1874? The record is the 6th from the top on page 2, on the record that states, Michael Gonda birth record.

      • Ron Matviyak
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 13, 2009
          >>The birth record is posted in my
          Gonda family album in the photos section.<<

          Try posting a better picture in the FILES section. The PHOTOS section automatically reduces the quality of the photos posted, good for looking but not for reading. The files section also has size limits, but not as severe.

          Ron

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jodygonda4" <jodygonda4@...> wrote:

          > I went back to the LDS center tonight and found another birth record for a sibling of my husband's great grandfather. The birth record is posted in my Gonda family album in the photos section. In particular, on page 2, I am interested in knowing the parents names - it looks like George Gonda, but I can't make out his wife's name. Also, in the last column, there is a comment, am I correct that this states he died on December 25th of 1874? The record is the 6th from the top on page 2, on the record that states, Michael Gonda birth record.

        • Jody Gonda
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 13, 2009
            Thank you!

            Jody

            The scans that you have posted are not of high enough resolution to read. Any chance you can post a higher res. image? However the entry
            in the last column does indicate that the child died as you said.
            CK

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, "jodygonda4" <jodygonda4@ ...> wrote:

            > I went back to the LDS center tonight and found another birth record for a sibling of my husband's great grandfather. The birth record is posted in my Gonda family album in the photos section. In particular, on page 2, I am interested in knowing the parents names - it looks like George Gonda, but I can't make out his wife's name. Also, in the last column, there is a comment, am I correct that this states he died on December 25th of 1874? The record is the 6th from the top on page 2, on the record that states, Michael Gonda birth record.

          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 14, 2009
              Is there any way to determine if particular church records exist but for
              some reason were not filmed or have been misplaced in the microfilms? A
              friend who is researching Lokca has found films for all the records except
              for baptisms from 1875 on, i.e., only a 20-year period. The note at the end
              of 1874 indicates that the records continue beginning with 1875, but those
              records are not on the films. How might my friend find out if those records
              are in the Archives?

              Thanks for any leads, Janet

              _____

              The scans that you have posted are not of high enough resolution to read.
              Any chance you can post a higher res. image? However the entry
              in the last column does indicate that the child died as you said.
              CK

              yahoogroups.com, "jodygonda4" <jodygonda4@...> wrote:

              > I went back to the LDS center tonight and found another birth record for a
              sibling of my husband's great grandfather. The birth record is posted in my
              Gonda family album in the photos section. In particular, on page 2, I am
              interested in knowing the parents names - it looks like George Gonda, but I
              can't make out his wife's name. Also, in the last column, there is a
              comment, am I correct that this states he died on December 25th of 1874? The
              record is the 6th from the top on page 2, on the record that states, Michael
              Gonda birth record.

            • Frank R Plichta
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 15, 2009
                One possibility is that the village is relatively small and that the ledger
                book continuing the 1875+ births includes births that are less than 100
                years old and therefore not releasable. My understanding is that they are
                only given the records that are 100+ (more or less) old to be filmed. If
                the ledger contains newer records the ledger may not have been filmed yet.

                Frank

                _____

                From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                yahoogroups.com] On
                Behalf Of Carl Kotlarchik
                Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 3:11 AM
                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 15, 2009
                  Thank you, Frank, for an excellent possible explanation. The inclusive dates
                  for the marriage and death records begin considerably earlier than 1875,
                  which add weight to your argument.

                  If this is indeed the case, could the records be obtained from the church
                  itself, presuming that the request came from a direct descendant?

                  Janet

                  _____

                  From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                  yahoogroups.com] On
                  Behalf Of Carl Kotlarchik
                  Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 3:11 AM
                  To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 15, 2009
                    Janet,

                    It is possible to get the records from the local priest at the village
                    church. I did that several years ago when I visited both Kosicka Bela and
                    Dlhé nad Cirochou. I did have several local family members with me so
                    identification was not an issue. The priest was very accommodating and
                    helped us work our way thru the record books. We left him with a generous
                    donation for the church.

                    Good Luck.

                    Frank

                    _____

                    From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                    yahoogroups.com] On
                    Behalf Of Carl Kotlarchik
                    Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 3:11 AM
                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 15, 2009
                      Thanks, Frank. I’ll pass on the good word.

                      Janet

                      _____

                      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                      yahoogroups.com] On
                      Behalf Of Carl Kotlarchik
                      Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 3:11 AM
                      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 15, 2009
                        Janet,
                        Here are the possibilities I have heard of thus far, based on various research myself and others have done, to address you question of what has and has not been filmed. It has been my experience that the filming teams have left not stone unturned. Their work is very exacting and it's a very low probability that any manifest was neglected. In all my years, I have heard only of one omission out of 2500 village.

                        1. Archives Cross Reference

                        The document "Prehlad matrík na Slovensku do zostátnenia matricnej agendy" (Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil registration) was prepared by the Slovak State Archives in 1992 and filmed by the Family History Center (FHC). It is a cross reference of what Slovak Republic (SR) villages are contained in each church register stored in the Archives. Note that this is comprehensive list of all church records in the SR Archives, but that the FHC has not filmed all records at this point. I recommend ordering the fiche set (LDS # Fiche 6000786), since its only 6 fiches, is less expensive to order than microfilm and your local FHC will probably be willing to keep it indefinitely. Alternately, it is available on Microfilm (LDS Film #1183541)

                        I have a copy of this book, so I can do lookups from my home computers also.

                        2. Still at the church
                        As Frank indicated, pre 1895 were supposed to go to the archives, but this did not always happen. In most cases, records of most all Greek Catholic Churches did make it there.

                        3. Was your village in Zemplen County?
                        If so, many records in the Hungary archives from the county seat of Satoraljaujhely were not repatriated to Slovakia at the end of WWI as required. In fact, many are still there. Mick Sura uncovered this valuable source, as it is officially denied. You would need to engage the services of Mick to gain copies of these.

                        I also will comment on privacy. I have seen records as late as 1940 show up on the films. This is clearly against the treaty, the privacy laws and the FHL-Archives agreements. Things happen.

                        For more reading: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/churches.htm

                        Regards,

                        Bill

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

                        > Janet,
                        >

                        > It is possible to get the records from the local priest at the village
                        > church. I did that several years ago when I visited both Kosicka Bela and
                        > Dlhé nad Cirochou. I did have several local family members with me so
                        > identification was not an issue. The priest was very accommodating and
                        > helped us work our way thru the record books. We left him with a generous
                        > donation for the church.
                        >

                        > Good Luck.
                        >
                        > Frank
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Janet Kozlay
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 15, 2009
                          Thank you, Bill, for your thoughts.

                          The village in question is Lokca in old Arva megye, near Namestovo. The
                          church is Roman Catholic. The LDS film notes indicate that the birth records
                          stop with the year 1874, which is what my friend has found himself. At the
                          end of 1874 there is a notation (in Latin) that the records continue
                          beginning with 1875.

                          All of this seems to support Frank’s suggestion that the ledger containing
                          the 1875+ birth records also contains records less than 100 years old, and
                          thus it is not yet available for filming. I believe that my friend now plans
                          to contact the church directly.

                          Thanks to both of you for your help.

                          Janet

                          _____

[...]

                          <http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/churches.htm> com/gen/public/churches.htm

                          Regards,

                          Bill

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
                            Lokca
                            83, 177, (197), 196
                            Records for Lokca can be found in the following village records, per the
                            SR Archives:
                            DOLNY KUBIN - Jewish, Marriag 1858-1941, 1850-1942, 1850-1897
                            KRUSETNICA, okr. DOLNY KUBIN - Roman Catholic - marriage n. 1787-1843,
                            1874-1911, s. 1787-1920, z. 1787-1911. Starsie zaznamy sa nachadzaju v
                            matrikach r. kat. farskeho uradu Lokca.
                            LOKCA - Roman Catholic n. 1741-1874, s. 1744-1895, z. 1747-1898.

                            The hypothesis that living records were extant in the birth records is
                            somewhat underminded since marriage and death records are available for
                            the period.
                            TRESTENA okr. Dolny Kubin - Jewish Matriky: n. 1771-1876, 1886-1895, 1897,
                            1902, 1931-1938, s 1850-1895, z. 1886-1895.

                            Two other notes while searching for needles in a haystack.

                            a) I strongly urge you to check records of adjacent villages. Often I
                            have found a few villagers who have moved there. In the course of due
                            diligence, this is a worthy, if not later step.

                            b) Sometimes the priest dies or departs and there is no record update.

                            c) Most often however, the records are simply lost or destroyed with no
                            explanation. Rumors that someone "hid" them away are legend, but I have
                            never heard of a single instance when records were retrieved from hiding.

                            If I was you, I'd be looking at the KRUSETNICA records next.

                            Good Luck,
                            Bill

                            Bill Tarkulich
                            http://www.iabsi.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
                              Janet,

                              I provided you the below data to answer your concern whether the FHL had
                              filmed everything that it was entitled to in the archives. I leave it to
                              you to reconcile the data.

                              As you know, 1895 was the filming cutoff for records as agreed to by the
                              FHL and SR Archives for privacy reasons. 1895 was also the cutoff date
                              for records placed in the archives. We all know there were variances.

                              Lastly, it's just impossible to do anything by speculate about why the
                              data are "missing."

                              Good Luck on your search.
                              Bill

                              On Mon, March 16, 2009 10:59 am, Janet Kozlay wrote:
                              > Yes, Bill, the marriage and death records are there, but their ledgers end
                              > 1895 and 1898 and span 51 and 54 years, respectively. At that time the
                              > birth
                              > records would have spanned only about 20 years. One might understand a
                              > reluctance to begin a new ledger after such a short period of time.
                              >

                              > Whatever the case, my friend intends to pursue both avenues—contacting the
                              > church directly and looking at the Krusetnica records. Hopefully one or
                              > the
                              > other will be successful.
                              >

                              > Thanks again.
                              >
                              > Janet