CLEVELAND, OH - JEWETT ST. OR AVE.

  • phillypeg1201
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 12, 2009
      Hi all: I am wondering if someone in the group is from Cleveland Ohio or has first hand information about the streets in Cleveland. I recently came across a piece of paper with a name and the address that is in the subject line, in my mother's old paperwork. It sort of fell out of one of those old coupon books from the war. Anyway, I don't know if it is a street or an avenue but the address is 4707 Jewett, Cleveland, OH. I did a google search but did not find it helpful. I am curious to know what this area was like before the war, such as, was it residential or commercial, and what the ethnicity was, maybe around 1930 or even earlier. I have drawn a blank for my maternal GM a long time ago and this just might be a lead to a relative of hers. I really would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone might have. Thank you in advance. If you would like you can answer me privately.
      Peggy
      mcl60@...
    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 12, 2009
        Hi Peggy:

        There is a JEWETT AVENUE in CLEVELAND, OHIO and the ZIP CODE is 44127. I
        live in Cleveland, Ohio and while I am not personally familiar with JEWETT
        AVENUE, I did a search for JEWETT on the Cuyahoga County Auditor's property
        database and found JEWETT AVENUE listed. When I did a GOOGLE search for the 44127
        zip code, it shows up on a Mapquest in the general vicinity of EAST 55TH
        STREET and BROADWAY AVENUE. This is an old Slavic neighborhood -- called Slavic
        Village -- I went Polka dancing off East 55th Street a couple of weeks ago,
        and my father grew up off East 45th Street in Cleveland in a Slovak
        neighborhood. I do hope that this helps. If you need more information, please do not
        hesitate to ask, and I'll either try to find it or at least point you in the
        right direction.

        Best regards,

        David Baloga

      • Nick Holcz
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 12, 2009
          I am as far away from Ohio as you can get but I looked for Jewett st
          and got this
          http://www.google.com/search?ip=124.169.35.50&adtest=off&q=4707%20Jewett,%20Cleveland,%20OH

          Laskavy Prosim

          Nick
        • mcl60@verizon.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009
            David:
            Thank you for that information, it is very helpful. I see by the
            property search there is only a few houses on 4700 Jewett standing, but
            that is what I kind of surmised. I think that it was important to find
            out what kind of community lived in the area of Jewett Ave before I
            continue on. I am so sick of wasting my time on wild goosechases. I
            remember my mother telling me that my GM had a sister that moved to Ohio
            after she married, but she did not know anything else. The name on the
            paper is a Mrs. Munich, at the Jewett address. I did a telephone search
            for the name and there are many Munich's living in Cleveland Ohio, I
            just don't want to bother anyone in case I am way off. I needed to know
            if Slovaks lived in that area way back then and you answered that for
            me. The advice I have for people on this list who have hit brick walls
            is just keep looking. I had no idea the paper that fell out of that
            book was there, and probably if I found it when I started to research I
            would have just overlooked it because, when I started this research, we
            did not have the resources we have today. Hope you had fun Polka
            dancing. I haven't danced the Polka in a long time, how I miss those
            days. I am done rambling on, thank you again. Peggy

            On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 8:58 PM, david1law@... wrote:

            Hi Peggy:

            There is a JEWETT AVENUE in CLEVELAND, OHIO and the ZIP CODE is 44127.
            live in Cleveland, Ohio and while I am not personally familiar with
            JEWETT
            AVENUE, I did a search for JEWETT on the Cuyahoga County Auditor's
            property
            database and found JEWETT AVENUE listed.

          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009

              Yes this area was very ethnic -- my slovak grandmother lived just east of this location.  There were Hungarians, Russians, Slovaks, Czecks, Italians.  Many ethnic parishes and cemeteries as well.

              Caye

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009
                Nick: I appreciate your help. I also did a google search and came up
                with the same links that you did, however, they are not very helpful. I
                believe I got what I need from David and Tom, but thank you for reaching
                out from Western Australia. Peggy

                On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Nick Holcz wrote:

                I am as far away from Ohio as you can get but I looked for Jewett st
                and got this
                http://www.google com/search? ip=124.169. 35.50&adtest= off&q=4707%
                20Jewett, %20Cleveland, %20OH
                <http://www.google.com/search?ip=124.169.35.50&adtest=off&q=4707%20Jewett,%20Cleveland,%20OH>

                Laskavy Prosim

                Nick

                <http://www.google.com/search?ip=124.169.35.50&adtest=off&q=4707%20Jewett,%20Cleveland,%20OH>

              • karen pivowar
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 15, 2009
                  Dear David,
                  I did not know you lived in Cleveland.  You tried to help me research a couple names
                  long time ago.  I live in Seven Hills (a suburb of Cleveland).  My father was raised on
                  W. 6th Street in the Tremont area about 80 yrs. ago.  Was wondering if you have
                  polkaed at Sterle's on W. 55th?   We eat there about 4 times a year.  Cleveland does
                  have great ethnic food.  I love the liver dumpling soup and wienerschnitzel!
                  My mother's family came from Gomor County (name is Gemeri).  They settled in
                  Ava, Ohio.  The U.S.S. Shennandoah (Naval Airship) crashed on their farm in 1925.
                  My mom was born that year.  Just a little Ohio history!

                  ************ **Need a job? Find employment help in your area.
                  (http://yellowpages. aol.com/search? query=employment _agencies& ncid=emlcntusyel p00000005)

                • david1law@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 15, 2009
                    Hello:

                    I believe that I may have seen some information about some relatives of mine
                    in the Ava, Ohio area, but it has been a while and I cannot recollect the
                    exact information. My surname BALOGA -- literally meaning "of BALOG"
                    ultimately originates from the GOMOR/GEMER region as it is the name of a river
                    (BALOG/BLH), a tributary of the SAJO/SLANA river between the RIMA/RIMAVA river and
                    the TUROC/TURIEC I have alsodone extension historical research regarding the
                    GOMOR/GEMER region, especially in the BALOG/BLH river valley region. My
                    great, great, great grandfather JAN HRONEC was also from the GEMER region --
                    ROZNAVA to be exact and my HRONEC clan in the valley around BERZETE/BRZOTIN and
                    KRASNA HORKA.

                    My mother grew up near in the Tremont area - off of West 14th Street. Her
                    parents were Polish -- KUBIT and MOSKAL -- are the surnames of her parents.
                    Please feel free to contact me directly at _David1Law@..._
                    (mailto:David1Law@...) .

                    Best regards,

                    David Baloga