Re: [S-R] new member introduction

  • bike_for_life2003
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2009
      Mike, Judy, et al,

      I am not a Hungarian language expert, by far, but I did study it with a
      tutor and through Debrecen University while I was living and working in
      Budapest. Without dragging out my books and given that I studied
      Lithuanian, Slovak, and Spanish after that, I could be wrong but I seem
      to remember the "s" sound in English is expressed by the letter
      combination "sz" in Hungarian. The combination "zs" in Hungarian is
      pronounced more like the second "g" in garage. The Slovak equivalent is
      the letter "ž" (latin z with a caron above) and pronounced exactly
      like the Hungarian "zs" combination.

      Paul in NW Fl

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
      wrote:

      > Judy,
      > On your surnames. Your multiple spellings for Zsilavi is
      understandable. Under Hungarian rule they had a program of Magyarization
      where all spellings would be in Hungarian. In Hungarian the "zs" is
      linked for an "s". You will have to find documents in Latin or Slovak to
      verify which is your correct spelling.
      > The online telephone directory had 14 listings for Mikula in
      Radosovce and Vieska. It appears you could have many cousins in
      Slovakia.

      > Meno Adresa Typ
      > Mikula Anton Jánosíkova 336, Radosovce
      > Mikula Felix Ing. Radosovce 399, Radosovce
      > Mikula Juraj Radosovce 93, Radosovce
      > Mikula Marián Radosovce 404, Radosovce
      > Mikula Marián Radosovce 217, Radosovce
      > Mikula Pavel Radosovce 401, Radosovce
      > Mikula Pavol Vieska 83, Radosovce
      > Mikulová Alena Radosovce 223, Radosovce
      > Mikulová Elena Radosovce 141, Radosovce
      > Mikulová Elena Radosovce 399, Radosovce
      > Mikulová Emerencia Vieska 85, Radosovce
      > Mikulová Katarína Radosovce 336, Radosovce
      > Mikulová Ludmila Vieska 55, Radosovce
      > Mikulová Stefánia Radosovce 263, Radosovce
      >

      > Abour the "Adresa" Most villages are so small they do not require
      a street address. Like Vieska, there is only one street. In which case
      they just give the village and the house number. Radosovce does have two
      cross streets, so the first listing gives the name of that street and
      house number. After each is the post office designation - Radosovce.
      > I did not have any luck using the four variations of Zsilavi.
      There were no hits in Studinka. I couldn't recall if I sent you the
      Studinka website - http://www.obec.studienka.szm.sk/start.htm
      > If you click on MAPA two maps come up. Click on the one on the right
      and it will enlarge. You will see a circle around Studinka, go do north
      and you will see the city of Holic. Follow the road to the right and
      down and you will see Radosovce. This shows you that all of your
      villages were fairly close to one another.
      > The FHC catalog has the following:
      > Cirkevná matrika, 1631-1923
      > Rímsko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Radosovce
      (Skalica) (Main Author)
      > Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths,
      confirmations, and conversions for Radosovce, Skalica, Slovakia;
      formerly Radosovce, Skalica, Slovensko, Czechoslovakia; and Radosocz
      (Holics), Nyitra, Hungary. Includes indexes. Text in Hungarian and
      Latin.
      > na 7 mikrofilmových kotúcoch ; 35 mm
      > I didn't find anything under Studienka.

      are two Radosovce in Trnavsky Kraj. One is just north of Trnava. Further
      north, southeast of the city of Holic on Highway 51 some 10 km is
      Radosovce on the north side of Highway 51 and Vieska on the southside.
      > Radosovce has a website - http://www.radosovce.sk/
      > There are six listings for Vieska in my Road Atlas. There is a website
      - http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/vieska/vieska.html I am trying to determine
      if it is the correct one. The designer of the webpage put a map on it.
      The only trouble it is a Vieska that is way south, almost to the Hungary
      border. Not the one near the Czech border.
      > Radosovce is listed as being in the Skalica District. The Vieska above
      is listed as being in the Dunajska Streda District. It could be that
      Highway 51 is the border between the two.
      > From the Slovak Statistical Office website:
      http://www.statistics.sk/mosmis/eng/run.html You can look at each of
      your villages.
      > In the box marked "region-district" click on Region Trnava, then click
      on Dunajska Streda, a window to the right will come up with the name of
      the towns in it. Click on Vieska.
      the list of villages to the right, click on Radosovce.
      > For Studienka go to Region Bratislava, click on district Malacky, go
      to the list of villages to the right, click on Studienka. Studienka
      website - http://www.studienka.sk/
      > There are a series of tabs at the top. Under each you will find
      information about the village.
      > For your information - every town and village in Slovakia has or will
      have their own website. They are rather progressive in the use of the
      internet.
      > Michael Mojher
      >
      > Subject: [S-R] new member introduction
      >
      > I would like to introduce myself as a new member of your group.
      >
      > My name is Judy and while I have done research on my family in U.S.
      records, I am still quite a novice in searching for information about
      them before they arrived in America. My hope is that I may learn some
      things from your group that will help me discover Slovakia information
      on my family.

      > I am searching for information on two Slovak family lines - MIKULA and
      ZSILAVI.

      > MIKULA
      > This family line originates in what was Veszka and Radosocz, Nytra
      megye, Hungary and is now Vieska and Radosovce, Trnavsky Kraj, Slovakia.
      My location information came from passenger lists and naturalization
      papers. Since these villages are so small, I am almost certain that the
      many individuals, who immigrated to the U.S. between 1900 and 1920 from
      these villages, may be related, but I haven't figured out how they all
      connect. The specific individuals I am focusing on are as follows:

      > Ignac/Inocent/Vincent MIKULA, born in 1885 in Veszka, immigrated in
      1901

      > Vincent MIKULA, born in 1881 in Veszka, immigrated in 1902.
      >
      > These two individuals are somehow connected because there names appear
      as witnesses for each other on religious and naturalization papers.
      There was another Ignac MIKULA, born in 1869 in Veszka, traveling with
      the Ignac/Inocent/Vincent MIKULA. I don't believe that the elder is the
      father since there is only 16 years between them, perhaps he is an
      uncle.

      > ZSILAVI / ZILAVI / SILAVI / ZILAVY
      > This family line originates in what was Szentistvan/Szentistvan,
      Pozsony megye, Hungary and is now Studienka, Bratislava region,
      Slovakia. The specific individuals I am focusing on are as follows:

      > Anna ZSILAVI, born 1888 in Czechoslovakia, immigrated to the U.S. in
      1907. This information came from naturalization papers. In searching for
      her passenger list, I have found other Anna ZSILAVIs, but the dates do
      not match hers. I have found a female with matching birth and
      immigration dates, but she is listed as Maria ZSILAVI. I consider the
      possibility of a name change since I cannot find her anywhere else.

      > Josef ZSILAVI, brother of Anna ZSILAVI, born 1889 in Szentistvankut,
      came to U.S. in 1913 (I do not know if he just visited or stayed as I
      cannot find naturalization papers or census records of him).

      > Maria ZSILAVI, wife of Josef ZSILAVI, born 1895 in Szentistvankut,
      came to U.S. in 1913 with her husband Josef.